What’s up with Rae Dunn mugs, you ask? Three words: in demand pottery. Not just any pottery — a home decor sensation that’s been taking over department stores and homes all over the world. Dunn’s pottery is sought out by her legions of fans who have formed collections and can’t get enough of her pieces. Rae Dunn’s pottery line is known for the simple, classic lines of utilitarian pottery. Most pieces are cream with words like “coffee,” “peace,” and “loved” written in black delicate font. And around the holidays, she creates limited-edition pieces with festive colors and sayings.
If you’re a member of the Rae Dunn Fan Club, then I’m sure you’re familiar with the term “dunning,” which means that you’re on the hunt for Dunn items.
As long as you’re “dunning,” you definitely don’t want to miss out on Rae Dunn mugs when they go on sale. In fact, we’ve seen online deals at T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, and Sierra Trading Post. Text HOT DEALS to 57299 and be the first to know about the hottest deals each day.
We’ve broken down the most essential information to know about Rae Dunn mugs to keep you informed before you blow your paycheck. Here’s everything you need to know about Rae Dunn clearance sales and how to find Rae Dunn mugs at T.J. Maxx!
First thing’s first, who is Rae Dunn exactly? Rae Dunn is a San Francisco-based artist and ceramicist who began working with clay in 1994 when she was in her 30s. Her pottery is influenced by “wabi-sabi,” a Japanese aesthetic that welcomes and searches for the beauty in imperfection and accepts life as it is. Dunn’s mugs are known for their minimalistic clean lines, as well as their cute quotes and catchy phrases.
In addition to the coffee mugs, Rae Dunn also sells a plethora of items, such as jars, canisters, bowls, throw pillows, baby onesies, bathroom decor, wine accessories, slides, holiday decor, and cookie jars. As of July 2022, TikTok is buzzing around her beach bags and tea towels.
How to find Rae Dunn mugs on clearance:
You don’t have to travel far to purchase Rae Dunn mugs because discount department stores like T.J. Maxx, HomeGoods, and Marshalls typically have some in stock.
Here are the types of clearance sales we saw in 2021 and 2022:
- T.J. Maxx holiday clearance: 50% off Rae Dunn Clearance Mugs, $5.00 + (regularly $9.99)
- Sierra Trading Post Christmas clearance: 30% off Rae Dunn Merry Wine Tumbler, $7.00 (regularly $9.99)
- Marshalls fall decor: 46% off Rae Dunn Mugs and Drinkware, $7.00+ (regularly $12.99+)
- Sierra Trading Post summer clearance: 79% off Rae Dunn “Luv Ya” Figural Mug, $3.50 (regularly $16.99)
Clearance sales are where you really can get a great deal. I’ve seen Amazon discount certain mugs by 10%. Now is your chance to become a Prime member.
Tips for finding Rae Dunn mugs in stores:
It’s a competitive market to find Rae Dunn mugs. Keep these seven tips in mind as you’re looking to find your next mug.
- Arrive as soon as the store opens to get first picks.
- Inventory days and times vary by store. In some instances, regions will receive different stock than other stores. For instance, your local store may get holiday items earlier than a store in an adjacent state.
- Befriend store associates to learn their store’s truck delivery schedule. And don’t be afraid to ask store associates to check the backroom for more inventory. Managers aren’t aware of which Rae Dunn items are arriving in advance, so stop bugging them! LOL, but really.
- Some stores limit your purchase quantities — especially when there’s a holiday collection.
- Speaking of holidays, look out for new collections about 30 days before the actual holiday. That means Rae Dunn Halloween should be on your list to look for now.
- In addition to standard mugs, items that sell out quickly are Rae Dunn plates, mugs with colorful lids, and casserole dishes.
- Watch out for “flippers,” who may literally offer you cash to buy what’s already in your cart (or hand) way above the store’s retail price.
Tips for buying Rae Dunn mugs online:
AMAZON: Amazon has a dedicated Rae Dunn products page with all of their options.
SOCIAL MEDIA GROUPS:
- Look for local Facebook groups to avoid shipping costs.
- Specific Rae Dunn Buy/Sell/Trade groups local to you may be a good place to find fans who can tell you where these mugs are stocked. Just search Rae Dunn mugs on Facebook under “Groups” and a few should pop up that you can join.
- Visit Rae Dunn Addicts Sale (19K members) and Rae Dunn Lovers (1.6K members) where people share their finds and take you on their hunts.
- Good sellers also will include a photo of the items for sale — along with their name and date that the photo was taken — so buyers know the seller actually has the product and isn’t trying to rip anyone off.
Be warned that buying mugs from Facebook Marketplace may result in fakes or broken arrivals.
How do I know if my Rae Dunn mug is authentic?
To make sure it’s an authentic, handmade piece, look for RAE DUNN. If you come across RAE DUNN by MAGENTA, I’m sorry to say that it’s a manufactured model.
Popular items that are highly sought can sometimes be resold online for hundreds of dollars — think husband/wife mugs, Disney, colorful tops, and specialty holiday products. In 2021, the most popular item was a set of pink measuring cups — sales on eBay topped $375!
Are there Rae Dunn dupes?
If you’re looking for the best Rae Dunn dupes because your department stores have sold out, you can find a bunch on Amazon and Etsy. The sellers there can customize items like mugs, T-shirts, tumblers, signs, etc. with specific sayings or quotes you want, which make a great birthday gifts or anniversary presents. I’m eyeing these Christmas ornaments and bathroom storage labels for myself!