Up until recently, I haven’t needed to know anything about the Sam’s Club return policy. Over the last few months, I’ve contemplated joining Sam’s Club and figured I’d better learn the ropes before going all-in on a membership. As a part of the process, I did some recon to find out how their return policy works.
Spoiler alert: This return policy is pretty great. Before we get into it, make sure you download the KCL app for even more deals, coupons and money-saving tips.
1. You have literally forever to make returns at Sam’s Club.
It sounds too good to be true – but I’m not lying! The Sam’s Club return policy has zero time constraints for most items. There are a few exceptions, though.
2. The Sam’s Club electronics return policy gives you 90 days.
This same time frame applies to any appliances you buy at Sam’s Club, too.
3. You have 30 days to return these items.
Motorsports items and commercial heavy equipment must be returned within 30 days per the Sam’s Club return policy.
4. Cell phones must be returned within 14 days at Sam’s Club.
This is true for prepaid, postpaid, and no-contract cell phones.
5. You cannot return these items at all.
Once you purchase one of these items at Sam’s Club, there’s no going back:
- Gift cards.
- Prepaid cards.
- Custom-made items like personalized gifts and photos.
- Anything you may have bought through the Sam’s Club Wholesale Trading Program.
6. The return policies on these items vary from store to store.
Call your local Sam’s Club to learn more about return policy timelines for:
- Tobacco products.
- Hearing aids.
- Car batteries.
7. Mattresses and jewelry can be returned at any time – with some asterisks.
Mattresses and jewelry fall under the general Sam’s Club return policy with no time constraints. However, there are some common-sense exceptions. For example, if you’ve been sleeping on a mattress for two years, the store manager is probably going to reject your return.
Jewelry is returnable, but Sam’s Club managers are likely to reject your return if it shows signs of wear. If you had any engraving work done, the piece is considered custom and is not returnable.
8. You can return opened items to Sam’s Club.
Just make sure to hold onto all the packaging. If the item appears to be used, your return might be rejected. That’s up to the discretion of each store manager.
But opened items can be returned as long as you held onto all the parts, instruction manuals and the box your item came in.
9. The Sam’s Club return policy allows returns without receipt.
It’s still a really good idea to hold onto your receipt. In fact, Sam’s Club prefers that you do.
But if you lose yours, they will try to work with you. If you’re a Sam’s Club member, they should be able to look up your purchase in their system as long as it was made within the past two years.
10. You can return online orders in-store.
There are very few exceptions to this rule. Things like golf carts and vending machines, for example, can’t be returned in-store.
But most items can be. If your item is an exclusion, it will be noted on your packing slip.
11. If you’re not a Sam’s Club member, your refund will be cash.
But if you’re not a member, your refund will be issued in cash.
12. Bring your order number and ID for in-store returns.
Don’t worry about printing out a receipt or other order information if you bought something online and need to return it in store. All you need is your driver’s license and order number, which your local Sam’s Club customer service rep can look up with your phone number.
13. Expect to spend some time in the return line.
The downside to returning an item at Sam’s Warehouse: It’s gonna take some time. On one of my recent return trips, it took almost an hour for me to get to the front of the line even though there were only four people ahead of me.
14. Return shipping is free for online Sam’s Club orders.
If you need to make a return on a SamsClub.com order, you will be provided with a free return shipping label.
Your original shipping fees will not be returned unless they got your order wrong or it was damaged in shipping.
15. You can’t return bulk orders from Sam’s Club.
The only exception to this rule is if your order had a manufacturer defect or was damaged in shipping. If that’s the case, you only have 72 hours from the time of delivery to file for your return. You initiate the process by contacting Sam’s Club with photo evidence of the damage or defect.
Bulk orders are:
- Single orders of 10+ like items.
- Multiple orders that contain 10+ like items made within a 24-hour period.
- Orders with 2+ like items that total over $10,000.
- Making 500+ orders of any items within 12 months.
16. If you aren’t a Sam’s Club member, bring one with you.
You aren’t allowed inside Sam’s Club without being accompanied by a member. So if you received a gift from a Sam’s Club member and want to return it, you’ll have to bring them with you.
17. No, you can’t return a Sam’s Club item to Walmart.
Wondering if you can return an item you bought at Sam’s Club to a Walmart store? The answer is NO! While they are sister stores, returns are handled by each separately. The Walmart return policy is different from the Sam’s Club return policy.
Despite that minor inconvenience, the Sam’s Club return policy is pretty great. It gives you unlimited time to make returns, and returning online orders isn’t overly painful. What are your experiences returning items at Sam’s Club? Leave your story in the comments!