Give yourself a break Christmas morning and make this quick French toast the night before. Just pop it in the oven when you wake up! This recipe calls for 8 eggs so be sure to print this coupon: $0.55/2 – One-Dozen Cartons of Eggs – (facebook.com)
Baked French Toast
12 slices of Texas Toast
2 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter cut into small cubes
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cube butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp Karo syrup
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Break bread slices into cubes and place in a 9×13 pan. In a separate bowl mix eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
2. Toss over the bread cubes and combine until the bread is covered. Cover with foil and put in refrigerator overnight.
3. In the morning combine the butter with the brown sugar and sprinkle over bread mixture.
4. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 50 – 60 minutes. While baking make syrup.
5. To make syrup place butter, sugar, buttermilk, and Karo syrup in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until boiling. Stir the entire time. Boil and stir for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add baking soda and vanilla. A reaction will occur and the syrup will rise. Continue to stir to keep it from overflowing. Set aside.
6. Remove French toast from oven and serve with buttermilk syrup. Garnish with whipped cream and fresh berries, if desired.