If you’re looking to spice up those boring brownies, give this recipe a try! The mint-flavored frosting combined with the chewy chocolate brownie makes for an addicting treat. Don’t forget to use this coupon to save on semi-sweet morsels: $0.75/2 Nestle Toll House Morsels, 10-12 oz from SS 3/17 (exp 5/31)
4 1 oz squares unsweetened baking chocolate – $1.00
1 cup butter – $0.50
4 eggs – $0.88
2 cups sugar – $0.39
1 tsp vanilla – $0.01
1 1/2 cups flour – $0.16
1/2 tsp baking powder – $0.01
2 cups powdered sugar – $0.40
1-2 Tbsp milk – $0.04
1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract – $0.18
4 tbsp butter, soft – $0.25
Green food coloring – $0.01
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips – $1.25
6 Tbsp butter – $0.38
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9×13″ pan with foil, covering sides completely. Spray foil with cooking spray.
2. First, make brownies. Chop unsweetened chocolate and butter into squares and place in microwave-safe bowl. Melt butter and chocolate in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until completely melted. Set aside to cool.
3. Using a mixer, combine eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix for two minutes. While mixer is still running, slowly pour in chocolate mixture. Slowly add in flour and baking powder until just combined. Pour batter into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
4. Once brownies have cooled to room temperature, begin making frosting. Combine all frosting ingredients (start with 1 tablespoon of milk and add more if needed) and mix until light and fluffy. Spread frosting over brownies and place in fridge.
5. Next, make glaze. Combine butter and chocolate in small, microwave-safe bowl. Melt for 30 seconds in microwave; remove and stir. Repeat until mixture is melted and smooth. Let stand 15 minutes, then carefully spread over frosting. Place brownies back in the fridge until glaze hardens (about 15 minutes). Use foil to lift brownies out of pan. Cut into squares.
Cost per serving: $0.34