Whether you call them Chuck Taylors, “All Stars,” or simply Converse, they’re easily one of the most recognizable sneakers around. The good news is that learning how to clean Converse is incredibly easy. Just a few simple steps and household items are all you need.
Converse sneakers are a popular footwear choice for their casual style and versatility. However, with regular use, they can become dirty, stained, and smelly. To keep your Converse shoes looking their best, it’s important to clean them regularly.
I’ll show you how to clean your Converse sneakers without damaging them so you can keep them looking fresh and new for as long as possible. Whether you’re dealing with dirt, scuffs, or stubborn stains, there are tips and techniques for removing them. There’s also advice on how to prevent future damage. So if you want to keep your Converse sneakers looking their best, read on!
Bookmark The Krazy Coupon Lady’s Converse Deals page for all the latest sales.
Clean your Converse at home with basic ingredients like water and dishwashing liquid.
According to Converse’s product care and repair guide, do NOT use a washing machine to clean or dry your shoes. To start getting your kicks looking new again, assemble these items to hand-wash.
- Clean water
- Dishwashing liquid
- Plastic tub
- Soft bristle brush or toothbrush
- Microfiber cloth
To clean Converse sneakers at home, follow these steps:
- Unlace the shoes and remove any loose dirt or debris with a soft brush or cloth.
- Dissolve a small amount of mild detergent with warm water.
- Dip a clean cloth into the solution and use it to gently scrub the sneakers, paying special attention to any stained or soiled areas. Swish the laces in the water until clean.
- Spot clean the sneakers thoroughly with clean water to remove any soap residue.
- Stuff the sneakers with newspaper to help them keep their shape as they air dry.
Allow the sneakers to dry completely away from direct heat or sunlight, which can cause the material to warp or fade.
Note: Avoid using harsh chemicals, as they can damage the material and cause them to deteriorate more quickly.
Related: 22 Life-Changing Shoe Hacks
Make your Converse bright again with a vinegar and water mixture.
We get it, not all Converse shoes are white. But most styles have white patches, and the rubber sole is white. To get your Converse sneakers looking bright and clean again, try these cleaning methods. Use a toothbrush, Q-tip, or microfiber cloth to apply the ingredients.
- Baking soda mixed with water to create a cleaning solution.
- Mild detergent mixed with water.
- A mixture of vinegar and water.
Note: Always test any cleaning solution on a small, inconspicuous area of the sneaker first to make sure it won’t damage the material. Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals, as these can cause discoloration and damage to the sneakers.
Remove stains from Converse shoes with a mild detergent or baking soda.
To remove stains from your Converse sneakers, you can try the following steps:
- Blot the stain with a clean cloth to remove as much of it as possible.
- Combine a few drops of mild detergent or baking soda with warm water.
- Apply the solution with a clean cloth and gently scrub the stained area.
- Remove any soap residue with a microfiber cloth.
- Allow to air dry.
Note: For stubborn stains, you can try using a magic eraser, a mixture of vinegar and water, or a specialized sneaker cleaning solution designed for removing stains.
Test a small area of your Converse with the cleaning mixture before you clean the whole shoe.
To avoid damaging your Converse sneakers when cleaning them, test a small area first.
It’s also important to follow the hand-washing instructions mentioned above. Again, don’t submerge them in water. Use a scrub brush or microfiber cloth to remove debris, and let them air dry before wearing. These shoes are fashionable whether they’re clean or have that “lived in” look, but periodic maintenance is good for the sole (ha-ha).