From the moist cake to the delicious frosting to the tart pomegranate seeds, this cake is a winner all around. Don’t be shy with the pomegranate seeds, they give each bite a finishing touch. Use $0.50/1 POM Pomegranate from SS 11/11 (exp 1/31)
Orange Pomegranate Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1 3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbls vegetable oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup unsulphered molasses (not blackstrap)
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp orange zest
3/4 cup warm water
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8-ounce block of cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 big pinch of salt
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pomegranate seeds for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 inch square pan with parchment paper; grease and flour the paper. If you don’t have parchment paper, just grease and flour the pan.
2. In a medium bowl mix the flour, spices, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
3. In a large bowl mix together vegetable oil, eggs and sugar. Stir in molasses, honey and orange zest.
4. Add the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Add warm water and combine until all ingredients are incorporated well.
5. Pour mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 35 – 45 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean.
6. Make the frosting by mixing the cream cheese until silky smooth. Add the soft butter and mix until the two are well combined. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix and then add the last cup of powdered sugar.
7. Allow the cake to cool for 20 minutes and then frost and top with pomegranate seeds.