After a long day of work, dealing with my impetuous “terrible” two-year-old, and tackling a seemingly endless mountain of laundry and dishes, the last thing I want to do is run out to the grocery store in rush hour traffic and then spend hours in the kitchen preparing a family meal that my picky eaters will likely refuse to eat. If it were just me, I would have no qualms about eating a bowl of cereal or nuking a frozen veggie burger for dinner like I did every night while in college. However, now that I have a family to take care of, I’m committed to preparing home-cooked, nutritious meals that we can all sit down at the dinner table and enjoy together. That’s why I use Food on the Table, a free online-service designed to help families eat better and save money at the grocery store.
At Food on the Table, you build a profile on the site by finding your grocery store on the site’s map, choosing which ingredients you like to cook with (i.e. chicken, beef, fish), and designating what kinds of meal you always, occasionally, or never make (e.g. gluten-free, crockpot meals, pasta dishes). Using your personalized profile, the site creates a weekly meal plan with corresponding recipes and grocery lists. The site will even tell you if the ingredients in your meal plan are on sale at your designated grocery store. Food on the Table is so useful that I have even dubbed it “Mama’s Little Helper”—now if only the service would take care of the dinner dishes too!
Here’s how you can sign up for the FREE Food on the Table
- Click Here to go the Food on the Table site.
- Enter your email address and the promotional code springfree in the designated boxes. Then click on the green “Start Meal Planning” button.
- Follow the prompts on the site to select your grocery store, set food preferences, and choose your ingredients. Then select your recipes and view and print your custom grocery list and recipes.
- Each week, you can edit your food preferences and ingredients to get a fresh batch of recipes. With all the variety, your family’s groans of “Meatloaf again, Mom?” will be a thing of the past. My family just loves Food on the Table’s Barbecue Chicken Pizza (ready in 35 minutes) and Orange Glazed Chicken (ready in 20 minutes). I’m getting hungry just thinking about it!
- Do your grocery shopping and start cooking. That’s all there is to it! Easy, right?
- Food on the Table also has a mobile app which is useful for when you are at the store and want to refer to your recipes or grocery lists.