Yogurt is one of those items that’s probably always on your grocery list. Loved by kids and adults alike, it’s a fridge staple—but it can put a dent in your food budget if you don’t take extra steps to bring the costs down. Here are five ways to bring that yummy yogurt home for less:
1. Coupons: There's a reason that Yogurt has its own category here in the KCL Coupon Binder! There are always coupons for various yogurt brands, flavors/blends, and sizes. Hold on to these, use them when there's a sale, and stock up!
2. Markdowns: When dairy products near an expiration date, retailers often mark them down by 50%. Look for stickers on the individual products. They will usually be at the front of the shelf. Products are usually marked down in the evening or early morning hours at grocery stores, so you have a greater chance of finding them if you're a late night or early morning shopper. Ask your local store when they do markdowns, and plan to be there soon after.
3. Freeze! When there's a krazy price on yogurt, consider stocking up and freezing the extras. Sealed yogurt cups can go straight into the freezer, though if the yogurt is fruit-on-the-bottom, consider shaking up the contents before freezing.
4. Think big: If you are a frequent yogurt eater or use yogurt in recipes like parfaits and smoothies, try buying the bigger container, which is often cheaper per ounce than the individual plastic cups. Opt for a basic flavor such as vanilla or plain, and mix in your own fruit, jams, honey, etc. You can also portion out the yogurt into smaller containers for on-the-go eating.
5. Get creative: Try making your own yogurt if you have the time or willing helpers. Check out some of the many great home recipes floating around on the Internet and put your own brand in the fridge!