Speaking as a couponer who just turned 50 years old, I can tell you that I never thought I would qualify for senior discounts, but surprisingly I do! Many stores recognize people age 50 and older as seniors—however, I will say the worst part is when the cashier gives you the discount before you turn 50! Yes, that’s happened to me, and I don’t even have gray hair! Being a newly qualified senior, I’ve learned a few things that give me greater benefits with my couponing skills! Combining coupons with sales along with my senior citizen discount makes quite a dent in my bottom line! If you’re a “senior” or know someone who is, keep reading to discover how you and yours can achieve even more savings!
The advantages of being a senior shopper
Additional savings benefits
Receiving a senior discount is probably one of the best benefits to being over 50. For example, at Rite Aid you can receive a senior citizen benefit of 20% off non-prescription purchases on the first Wednesday of each month. This would be a great time to stock up on items you need throughout the month, such as over-the-counter medications, cold and cough medicine and personal hygiene products. If you have a sweet tooth like me, go for the candy aisle!
Better shopping hours
We get up earlier, typically work less, and our shopping times are more flexible! Most of the population works 9-5. Therefore, the peak shopping time at the grocery store is after 5:00 PM. Take advantage of less noise, shorter checkout lines, and more efficient service.
Many stores—especially drugstores—cater to senior customers. Pharmacy consultations for drug interactions are usually free, as are questions regarding Medicare Part D coverage (prescription benefit under medicare).
Grocery stores with senior discounts
- Harris Teeter: Features a Club 60 for senior citizens. Thursdays are senior citizens’ days and feature 5% off of your total purchase when you use your VIC card.
- Publix: 5% off every Wednesday (60+, only valid outside Florida)
- Great Valu: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
- Kroger: 10% off first Wednesday of the month (60+, select locations only—contact your local store)
- Fry’s Supermarket: Free Fry’s VIP Club Membership & 10% off every Monday (55+), or 10% off first Wednesday of every month
- Hy-Vee: 5% off one day a week (day varies by location)
Drugstores with senior discounts
Rite Aid has a program specifically for seniors age 65 & older called Wellness65+ with the following benefits:
- On the first Wednesday of every month, receive 20% off non-prescription purchases.
- Free pharmacist consultations
- Free blood pressure screenings
- Medicare Part D questions answered
Senior day and monthly discount periods vary by location, so check with your local branch for more specific information.
- Features a monthly senior discount, age 55 and older for Balance Reward Members & AARP members.
- A percentage off Walgreens brands, Nice brands, W brands and Well Beginnings on senior day.
- Walgreens offers occasional online discounts for senior citizens up to 15%.
As you enter this senior stage in life, check out the advantages at your favorite stores. Sign up for programs you may be eligible for to decrease your out-of-pocket expenses. Just because you may be shopping less often or for a lesser amount doesn’t mean you can’t save money by using your age to your advantage!
This is a guest post by Tammy from North Carolina.