October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. There are many ways to get involved and show your support. These six ideas offer you options that include gifts of time, funds and education. While October is the "official" month to support breast cancer awareness, you can show your support all year long in each of these ways and more.
1. Shop pink
Even if breast cancer has not personally affected you, you have likely noticed the rise in the number of "pink" products on the market today, many bearing the breast cancer hope logo. These products are designed specifically to donate a portion of sales proceeds to benefit breast cancer awareness.
Here are some ideas to find the perfect pink products:
- Everyone from Oakley sunglasses to the Ellen Show are offering pink products this fall. Just Google "shop pink + item you want" and see what comes up!
- The Greater Good store: Shop pink on the Greater Good store and directly help to fund mammograms, research and care.
2. Support the National Breast Cancer Foundation
There are five ways you can support breast cancer awareness by visiting the NBCF website.
- Donate: Make a one-time or recurring donation.
- Volunteer: You can volunteer virtually (online) or in person.
- Fundraise: You can join an existing event to help with fundraising, create a personal fundraising page, and more.
- Sponsor: If your company is interested in sponsoring an event, you can work with the NBCF to create a customized campaign.
- Planned Giving: You can remember NBCF in your will.
3. Give to breast cancer awareness and/or shop pink this holiday season
If you have been personally impacted by breast cancer first- or secondhand, what better way to honor this important cause than by giving pink products as gifts this holiday season, and/or donating a holiday offering in your gift recipients' names!
Note: This is also a great way to stick to your holiday gift budget, because you can give in any amount, and pink products are so popular you can find something perfect at any point along the price spectrum.
4. Shop with merchants who support breast cancer awareness
Certain retailers and online merchants have programs set up to support breast cancer awareness on an ongoing basis.
Here are some sites that support breast cancer awareness when you shop:
- We-Care: Shop online and earn donations that support Breastcancer.org.
- Amazon Smile: Just type in "breast cancer" and choose the charity you want to support.
- Good Shop: Shop and support the breast cancer charity of your choice.
- eBay's Giving Works: Choose your donation amount (%) and your charity.
5. Males get breast cancer too
It’s not a well-known fact, and certainly less men than women are affected, but for every man who is affected, statistics do not matter. As well, in families with a genetic risk, the gene passes to both females and males. This year alone, more than 2,300 men will be diagnosed and more than 400 will die due to breast cancer.
- Shop or donate to His Breast Cancer.
- The third week of October annually is Male Breast Cancer Awareness Week.
6. Get screened—low cost and free screenings are available if you qualify
Each year, the 3rd Friday in October is designated at National Mammography Day. But you don't have to wait until this date rolls around again to get screened. The biggest favor you can do for yourself and your loved ones—whether or not you are female or male or have a family history of breast cancer—is to get screened and learn how to do a breast self-exam regularly at home.
- Learn more about breast cancer screening options.
- For information about low cost or free screenings.
- Did you know that many imaging centers nationwide offer a reduced price on life-saving screenings during Breast Cancer Awareness Month?!