When Black Friday mania hits, you don’t want to be left unprepared when it comes to 2018’s hot items like virtual reality headsets.
Here’s a roundup of the best virtual reality deals we saw last year on Black Friday and how to shop the biggest Black Friday 2018 savings on VR headsets this year:
1. Amazon and Best Buy have the best Black Friday discounts on virtual reality headsets.
Target’s Black Friday sale focused more on inexpensive sets like the One Plus and Utopia for under $50.
2. Sign up for a free 30-day Amazon Prime trial the week of Thanksgiving.
If you’re not already a Prime member, sign up for a free 30-day trial the week before Thanksgiving.
Prime members get early access to Amazon’s Lightning Deals. We’re expecting virtual reality headsets to go fast this year, so use those free trial perks to not miss out.
3. Sign up for My Best Buy Rewards at least one week before Thanksgiving to get 2% cash back.
You’ll get points that equal out to roughly 2% cash back on your Best Buy purchases and early access to their biggest sales, like Black Friday.
4. Check Best Buy and Target first for Sony PlayStation VR headsets (PSVR).
For Black Friday 2018, Target offers the Playstation VR bundle — complete with the headset and two games — for $237.49 with 5% REDCard discount (reg. $349.99).
Best Buy is also known for PSVR markdowns, but it looks like Target’s gonna give them a run for their money this year.
If you’ve signed up for the My Best Buy Rewards program, you’ll get an additional 2% back. And be sure to check your Ibotta app for exclusive cash back deals or discounts at Best Buy.
5. Look for $150 savings on the Sony PlayStation VR (PSVR) with Camera from Amazon.
Amazon: $249.99, marked down from $399
Best Buy offered the same set for $50 more. You can’t price match Amazon at Best Buy between Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday, but you can the rest of the year.
6. Check Amazon and Best Buy prices on the Oculus Rift VR Headset + Touch Controllers.
Amazon and Best Buy offer these for $349, marked down from $499.
Sign up for Watch Deal alerts in the Amazon shopping app so you don’t miss out on upcoming VR deals.
If you do miss out, don’t panic. Look for additional price drops around Dec. 14, or 2018’s free shipping day.
7. Get HTV Vive freebies straight from Vive.com.
Last year, starting the day before Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday, Vive’s online store offered freebies like their Deluxe Audio Strap (regularly $99.99) and a free copy of Fallout 4 (regularly $60) with any Vive purchase.
The HTC Viveport subscription was also marked down to $30, regularly priced at $80.
8. Look for 50% off One Plus VR headsets at Target.
Target: $49.99, marked down from $99.99
Based on what we saw last year, REDCard holders can expect early access to Black Friday deals again this year — starting the day before Thanksgiving.
Save an additional 5% using your REDCard and get free shipping so you don’t even have to leave your house.
9. Get the Utopia VR headset for under $20 at Target.
Target: $17.99, marked down from $39.99
Look for Black Friday Target gift card deals on electronics. Just download the Target app and click “wallet” followed by “coupons” for gift card deals.
10. Look for pre-Black Friday Target Cartwheel offers like 25% off a PlayStation VR Core.
Last year, Target app holders had exclusive access to pre-Black Friday deals like 25% off a PlayStation VR Core.
It didn’t beat Best Buy’s Black Friday price of $199, even with an additional 5% off for REDCard holders, but for just $14 more, you could secure your own PlayStation VR set from Target before carving your Thanksgiving turkey.
11. Spend under $10 on Google Cardboard at Walmart.
If you really want to go affordable, try the Google Cardboard 2.0 for just $8.95 from Walmart.
It’s compatible with most Apple or Android phones and provides a decent VR viewing experience for under ten bucks.
12. Get the Playstation VR bundle including headset, PS Camera, PS4 Pro 1TB, and game bundle at Walmart.
Walmart: $1,009, marked down from $1,241
Before Black Friday, sign up for a Walmart Price Catcher account so you’re automatically reimbursed if another competitor offers the same product for less than what you paid at Walmart.