You’ve got more choices than ever these days for meal delivery services, but DoorDash delivery is one of the best. They offer a number of ways to get DoorDash coupons and free food, but you gotta know how to work it.
Get ready to learn about why DashPass might be a good idea, how great their customer service is, and how to get at least a 5% discount on everyDoorDash order.
To always save money on dining, be sure to download the KCL app.
1. Get a DoorDash DashPass free trial to get free delivery for 30 days.
DoorDash’s DashPass is a $9.99/month subscription that lets you skip out on delivery fees. You’ll get free delivery on all orders of $12 or more, plus you earn 5% back in DoorDash credit on pickup orders by crediting your account for your next purchase.
You can try out the DashPass during their 30-day free trial (if you’re a first-time DashPass user).
If you don’t want to get charged after the 30-day free trial, you can cancel your subscription by going to your account settings and clicking “Manage DashPass.” You won’t be able to take the benefits of DashPass if you cancel during the trial, but if you paid for it, you’ll still get the benefits till the end of your billing period.
TIP: Uber Eats has a version of this, called Uber One. They also have a 30-day free trial, but you have to spend $15 to get the free delivery. If you’re looking for more ways to get freebies from Uber Eats, we know all the tips and tricks on how to get free food from Uber Eats.
2. DashPass is only worth it if you use it at least twice a month.
The standard DoorDash delivery fee is $5.99 nationwide, so ordering at least twice a month will make your DashPass cover the cost of the subscription. The DoorDash delivery fee is subject to change depending on the time you order and your location.
TIP: Just about everything on DoorDash is eligible for DashPass, but a few things aren’t (like their nationwide shipping options). To make sure you’re only seeing DashPass-eligible options, tap the gray DashPass button near the top of the home page in the app.
3. Get 10% off your DoorDash Delivery, $10 off on pickup orders, and $10 off on alcohol orders during special DashPass promotions throughout the year.
Having DashPass will also give you access to exclusive deals such as free food items when you spend a certain amount, coupons at restaurants and stores, and 10% off your next order.
In 2021, DoorDash also released a number of Summer of DashPass deals, which gave DashPass holders exclusives like $10 off on all pickup orders $20 or more, or $10 off on all alcohol orders $40 or more. This replaced the Week of DashPass promotion they had before 2021.
4. Refer friends to DoorDash and get up to $250 in DoorDash credits.
In the DoorDash app, head to the “Account” section to find the offer: “Refer Friends, Get $10.”
Follow the link to send out invitations to your actual friends (no spamming websites with your code or DoorDash won’t pay you), and you can only refer up to 25 people — $250 max.
When your people place their first order of $15 or more through your code, DoorDash will add a $10 DoorDash coupon to your account, and your friend will get $5 off her next three orders.
5. A ton of restaurants will give you free delivery the first time you order from them.
The DoorDash app shows a list of restaurants that won’t charge you for delivery the first time you place an order with them. So even if you don’t have DashPass, you can escape delivery fees. There is no minimum order amount for these, but you may have to pay a small order fee ($2.00) depending on the restaurant.
My “First order, $0 delivery fee” list had 19 of my favorite restaurants like Applebee’s, Cheesecake Factory, Panda Express, and more. Download the DoorDash app to see which restaurants offer free delivery in your area.
6. Or skip the DoorDash delivery fee entirely when you pick up instead of delivering.
DoorDash does give you the option to pick up your food instead of getting it delivered, and you’ll save on the DoorDash delivery fee of around $5.99. Not all restaurants offer pickup, so if you want to look at pickup-specific restaurants, you’re going to have to switch the toggle for Pickup only.
7. Order from multiple stores at a time without paying an additional delivery fee with the DoorDash store delivery.
DoorDash has a feature where you can order items from nearby convenience stores — like 7-Eleven, Walgreens, and Wawa — after you place your restaurant order. Just look for the DoubleDash option on the map and add items to your order. There are no additional delivery fees or minimum order sizes.
TIP: According to DoorDash representatives, the best time to order DoorDash is 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. – 8 p.m. since more Dashers are working during those hours.
8. If something is wrong with your DoorDash order, here’s what to do. . .
Sometimes things can go wrong. My recent order had one missing item and I got a full refund in the form of DoorDash credit. I’m not sure every complaint will score you a refund, but missing items, crappy food, and no delivery at all certainly will. Here’s how to submit a complaint:
1. Tap “Account” in the DoorDash app.
2. Tap “Delivery Support.”
3. Select the order in question.
4. Tap “Help.”
5. Choose your delivery issue to get refund.
9. Get an easy 5% off DoorDash gift cards when you buy them from Target using RedCard.
The Target RedCard is a branded debit card that connects to your checking account, and when you use it at Target and Target.com, you’ll get 5% off your purchases. This is just one of the many benefits of having a Target RedCard.
That includes gift cards — DoorDash gift cards.
TIP: You can also get free DoorDash gift cards from Swagbucks. It’ll take you about a month to accumulate the necessary points. Points are obtained by playing games, searching the web, and answering surveys.
10. You can’t earn rewards points from other restaurants through DoorDash orders.
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to get rewards points from your DoorDash orders, and DoorDash doesn’t have a rewards program for their customers. So, if you want to earn your McDonald’s rewards points or Chick-Fil-A rewards points, you’ll have to order through their app or website.
Luckily, we also know the best restaurant rewards programs that you should join.
11. Check your Visa and MasterCard — you may be eligible for a free DashPass subscription.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve and J.P.Morgan Reserve members get DashPass benefits for one year free.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred members get DashPass benefits one year free.
- Chase Freedom and Slate members get three months of free DashPass benefits, and then nine months of DashPass for 50% off.
- World Elite MasterCard holders get three months of free Dashpass as well as $5 off 2 orders a month.
All you have to do is link the DoorDash app to one of these qualifying Chase Visas. Be warned, though: as soon as the subscription period is up, you’ll start getting the full $9.99 monthly fee billed to your card if you don’t cancel.
12. DoorDash prices are around 20% higher than ordering in restaurants.
In order to curb DoorDash fees, restaurants increase their menu prices by around 20% on every item. We researched the McDonald’s menu and saw that prices were at least 17% higher than when you go to the restaurant. The highest it got was a 26% price increase for small fries.
13. There is no DoorDash student discount.
DoorDash doesn’t have a student discount, but if you look on sites like StudentBeans, they will occasionally give DoorDash promo codes like 25% off your order that you can use on checkout. However, if you’re looking for ongoing DoorDash student discounts, you’re out of luck.
But if you are looking for student discounts and freebies, we know all the best discounts for college students.
14. Become a Dasher as a side-hustle to get discounts on car maintenance and 2% cashback on gas.
There isn’t any employee discount if you are a Dasher, but you will be able to get several discounts on programs like TurboTax, Macco, and GoodRx Gold. Plus, you’ll get 2% cashback on all your gas purchases made while dashing.
If you are looking for the best employee benefits around, we know all the best employee discounts from national brands.
15. You can order alcohol through DoorDash if you upload your ID to DoorDash — if your state allows.
Currently, you can get alcohol delivered through DoorDash in these states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.
In order to get alcohol from DoorDash, you will need to upload a government ID that confirms that you are 21+. When you check out with alcohol in your cart, DoorDash will prompt you to upload your photo ID. The Dasher will only see your photo and date of birth.
Depending on the Dasher, you might need to present your photo ID when you receive your order, so make sure you have it when you pick up the order.
If you cancel your alcohol order at any time, DoorDash will charge a $20 restocking fee.
16. DoorDash fees are, on average, cheaper than Uber Eats, but more than Grubhub.
DoorDash, Uber Eats, Grubhub… These days, there are so many different food delivery services for you to choose from, but how do you know which one is right for you? Here are some of the main differences for you to consider:
- Service Fees: DoorDash is typically 10-11%; Uber Eats is typically 15%; Grubhub has a flat fee of $3.99.
- Delivery Fees: DoorDash’s standard is $5.99; Uber Eats is typically $7.99; Grubhub is typically $5.49.
- Small Order Fee: DoorDash is $2 for orders under $8 – $10 depending on the restaurant; Uber Eats is $2 for orders under $10 and $3 for orders under $15; Grubhub is $2 for orders under $10.
TIP: DoorDash’s customer service is much better than Uber Eats’ and even a little better than Grubhub’s. If you ever need a refund (see Tip #8), they’ll do their best to make things right.