We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Time to save on your next DIY project by getting all the free things from Home Depot. Home Depot workshops, material cutting, and much more is available completely free, if you know how to find it.
No more putting off that project! I’m gonna show you the best Home Depot freebies.
Remember to download the official KCL app for more freebies and deals.
1. Get free carpet installation when you buy carpet from The Home Depot.
Home Depot always provides free carpet delivery and free basic carpet installation. Basic installation includes new carpet installation, professional in-home floor measuring, and standard furniture moving.
Home carpet installation is free with carpet purchases over $599 — this includes ripping up and hauling away old carpet, moving furniture, and carpeting stairs.
2. All other Home Depot flooring installations cost money — but there are other free benefits.
Tile, vinyl plank flooring, laminate flooring, and hardwood flooring installation is not free — but paying for your complete installation includes things that normally cost extra.
These free benefits include: basic furniture moving, remove and haul away carpet, remove and haul away floating floor, shoe or quarter round install, and free moderate subfloor prep up to one-quarter of an inch.
3. Pick up a free Home Depot Kids Workshop Kit on the first Saturday of the month.
The first Saturday of the month, ask an employee at checkout if there are any free Kids Workshop kits available. They’ll gladly give you one for each child in your household, even if the kids aren’t with you.
4. Livestream Home Depot workshops for free.
Home Depot workshops are an online resource to help you with your projects around the home. And, most importantly, they’re free. There’s even a free Home Depot Kids Workshop!
5. Get Home Depot free shipping on online orders over $45.
As long as your online order is over $45, HomeDepot.com free shipping with two-day delivery is yours.
This doesn’t apply to absolutely everything at The Home Depot, like certain appliances, gift cards, and anything with a shipping restriction on size and weight.
6. Get free standard appliance delivery and installation from Home Depot on appliance purchases of $396 or more.
If your appliance is under $396, you’ll have to pay their $59 delivery fee. And if you want them to haul away your old appliance, there’s an additional fee.
7. Check The Home Depot’s coupon page for the most up-to-date discounts.
The Home Depot Coupon Page is the first place you should look for legit coupons — second is the KCL app. Not only do we keep track of the latest coupons from The Home Depot, we also post when we find the best deals, discounts, and savings. You can also use our dedicated Home Depot Deals Page.
8. Earn 10 – 15% off coupons subscribing to Home Depot alerts and special clubs.
Home Depot makes both dollar-off and percent-off coupons available to anyone who does the following:
- Sign up for Home Depot email alerts: Earn a $5 off $50 coupon.
- Sign up for Home Depot text alerts: Earn a $5 off $50 coupon.
- Join the Home Depot Garden Club: Earn a $5 off $50 coupon.
- Sign up for Home Depot Style and Decor emails: Earn a 10% off coupon on select furniture, home accents, bedding, and bath items.
The email and text alerts are mostly useful for updates on each new Daily Deal, while the Garden Club members will receive tips, special promotions, and the occasional freebie.
All of these coupons will be delivered to you via email, except for the text sign-up coupon (that one goes to your phone).
9. The Home Depot gives you free paint shaking and re-tinting.
Remember all those gallons of perfectly good Navajo White paint sitting in your garage untouched, left over from the all-white kitchen craze? Rather than running out and buying brand new cans to add a much-needed pop of color, load those cans up and bring them into Home Depot.
The paint department will add any color formula you want to those cans and mix them up for free! Boom! Turquoise blue cabinets, here I come.
10. Grab free paint swatches, paint stirrers, and paint can openers from The Home Depot.
That’s not the only freebie you’ll get in The Home Depot paint department. If you ask an associate, they’ll provide you with as many paint can openers you need if they have them. You can grab stir sticks and swatches with reckless abandon and no judgment.
PRO TIP: Moving soon? You can occasionally score some free cardboard boxes from The Home Depot if you ask an associate. They’ll usually give you whatever they haven’t broken down.
11. Get free flooring and carpet samples from The Home Depot.
If you’re trying to plan how a pattern will look in your home, take advantage of Home Depot free samples. They give away floor and carpet samples for free, which is a great way to do some really cool projects, like when I needed flooring for my kids’ playhouse. I glued carpet samples to an old rug pad and made a patchwork rug.
Or, if you really want the most out of your Home Depot freebie, I saw someone on Reddit making wooden flooring samples into DIY coasters.
12. The Home Depot will cut materials like lumber, chains, and rope for free.
You can get electrical wire, rope, chains, wire shelving, lumber, and even window blinds cut to size for free. There’s a 50 cent charge for over two cuts for any material, and you can only get 10 total cuts per transaction.
These materials can vary from store to store, so find a Home Depot near you before you plan your trip.
13. Take advantage of free Home Depot tool repair.
As long as the product’s still under warranty, you can take advantage of Home Depot tool repair. Plus, if you buy Home Depot Ridgid tools and register them, you’ll get a full lifetime warranty.
14. Recycle your rechargeable batteries for free at The Home Depot.
Look for Call2Recycle bins near the front of the store by the return counter. Follow the instructions on the bin to properly recycle your rechargeable batteries. Any rechargeable battery, including lithium or cell phone batteries, that weighs up to 11 pounds can be recycled.
15. Home Depot will give you free red safety flags for your vehicle.
If you’re carrying home a large load, your materials might be sticking out of your truck bed, meaning you’ve gotta warn drivers behind you. Ask a Home Depot associate for red safety flags for your drive home to keep everyone safe.
For larger purchases, they’ll also provide you with free twine and paper to secure the item and keep your upholstery safe.