We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Tired of paying big money for brand-name items? Same. To make it stop, consider some of the top generic products you can get dirt cheap on Amazon. While it’s true that Subscribe & Save deals and Amazon coupons will help you save when you shop Amazon, sometimes you can save significantly more by choosing generic products. (You can use Subscribe & Save with any of these items on top of savings.)
Anytime you have a product that depends on a refill or replacement in order to keep using it, look for generics.
For example, let’s say you finally caved and bought a Sonicare toothbrush because Kohl’s had a huge sale. Then you realize you’re supposed to replace those little toothbrush heads at least once every three months. And they’re uber spendy! Good job saving on the toothbrush. Now sign over your firstborn in order to keep on using it. This is why you need to buy Amazon generics.
Be sure to download the KCL app for more money-saving deals, tips, and coupons.
1. Save 60% when you buy generic LEGO bricks instead of brand name.
Granted, if you want a theme set, like Ninjago, Star Wars, or LEGO Friends, this won’t help you.
But if you’re buying some extra pieces, this is the way to go:
- LEGO Classic Bricks (10717), 1500 pieces, $79.99 reg. price, or $0.05 a piece
- Generic LEGO bricks, 1500 pieces, $33.86, or $0.02 a piece
2. Save 87% with Amazon’s generic toothbrush heads for your Sonicare toothbrush.
If you don’t have a Sonicare, don’t pay full price! I got my kids’ Sonicare toothbrushes, regularly priced $69.99, at Kohl’s for only $14.99 each after coupons and rebates.
- Sonicare Toothbrush Heads, 2 count, reg. price $26.95, or $13.48 each
- Generic Replacement Brush Heads, 8 count, reg. price $14.40 – $17.95, or $1.80 – $2.24 each
PRO TIP: Can’t find a Sonicare deal right now? Then look for one at Costco. Costco usually offers a rebate, so it ends up being the best overall price on Sonicare in a pinch, usually around $69 for two of them.
3. Save up to 74% when you buy generic iPhone chargers.
If you’re like me, you’ve got someone in your house who has a chronic issue with losing phone chargers. When I found these generics, I stopped paying out-the-nose for the real Apple ones.
- Apple Lightning to USB Cable, one-count, 2.0 meter, $27.98 each, reg. price
- Generic iPhone Charger Lightning to USB charger cables, 3 per pack, $16.99, or $5.66 each
4. Save 83% when you buy generic pregnancy tests instead of First Response.
Women swear by “dollar store” pregnancy tests, and while cheap pregnancy tests may not detect pregnancy as early as First Response, they’re accurate. Is it worth it to wait a couple days while Amazon ships the tests to you (and save 83%), or should you drive to the store for a brand name test? Your call. Baby Fever can be a hard taskmaster, and sometimes you just can’t wait to pee on a stick.
- First Response Pregnancy Test, 2-pack, reg. price. $20.99, or $10.50 each
- Generic pregnancy tests, 5-count packs, reg. price $8.79, or $1.76 each
5. Save 81% when you buy generic darts for your Nerf guns.
When compared with “official” Nerf darts, the generic price on these is better than Buy 1 Get 1 Free. So go ahead and do all the Nerf wars, and then throw away every bent and torn dart afterward.
- Nerf N-Strike BattleCameo Series Dart Refill, 75 darts, reg. price $15.99, or $0.21 each
- Generic Nerf darts, 200 – 500-packs, reg. price $9.99 – $19.99, or $0.05 – $0.04 each
Early spring — February and March — is a great time to find Nerf gun deals. Otherwise, you’ll find the best prices from Black Friday through Christmas.
6. Save 71% with AmazonBasics batteries compared to Duracell.
AmazonBasics batteries come in around $0.31 per battery. Subscribe & Save will save you another 5%, which makes them $0.29 a battery.
- Duracell 1.5V CopperTop AAA Batteries, 28 count, $29.99 reg. price, or $1.07 each
- Generic AAA batteries, 36 count, $10.99 reg. price, or $0.31 each
7. Save 61% with generic water replacement filters for your Brita water pitcher.
It’s legit to pass on a Brita water pitcher because you don’t want to pay for filters you’d have to change every two months. But buying generic filters makes it suddenly more affordable.
- Brita Water Filters, 2 pack, reg. price $14.49. or $7.25 each
- Generic water replacement filters, 4 – 6 pack, reg. price $12.99 – $16.99, or $2.83 – $3.25 each
8. Save 19% when you buy generic razor blades for your Mach 3.
Using Gillette coupons to get razors at a store like Target or CVS is the absolute best way to save money on razors.
But if you’re not ready to start couponing yet, don’t pay full price for blade refills on Amazon!
- Gillette Mach3 Razor Blades, 15 count, reg. price $24.74, or $1.65 each
- Generic Personna EasyFit Refill Cartridges, 15 count, reg. price $19.95, or $1.33 each
9. Save 69% when you buy Amazon’s generic tips for your Waterpik oral flosser.
While we see deals on Waterpik flossers about every other month on average, deals on the replacement tips are rare. So get the name-brand flosser when there’s a deal and then buy generic replacement tips to save money over the long haul.
- Waterpik Classic Jet Tip, 2 count, JT-100E, reg. price $8.54, or $4.27 each
- Waterpik Generic Replacement Classic Waterpik Jet Tips, 9 count, reg. price $11.99, or $1.33 each
10. Save 22% with generic LED light bulbs over Philips.
Even generic light bulbs on Amazon can save you some bucks over name brands like Philips.
- Philips LED, non-dimmable, A-19, frosted light, 60-Watt light bulbs, 8 pack, reg. price $19.60, or $2.45 each
- Generic LED non-dimmable A-19 frosted light 60-Watt light bulbs, 4 pack, reg. price $7.59, or $1.90 each