Did you buy a Hampton Bay ceiling fan this past year at Home Depot? If so, you’ll want to see if your fan is being recalled.
The 54-inch Hampton Bay Mara has presented a safety hazard, and in the aftermath of growing complaints from customers, is being recalled by the distributor.
More than 190,000 of these were sold in the U.S. and Canada between April and October this year, and they’re all being recalled.
Here’s what you need to know:
Customers say the fan throws its blades while in motion.
This basically sounds like a nightmare, and it’s one that’s been reported by at least 47 different customers.
The fan’s distributor, King of Fans, says this particular Hampton Bay Mara product has a faulty fan blade locking clip.
King of Fans urges customers to stop using the fans immediately.
Check your fan’s UPC number to see if it’s being recalled.
You can find the UPC number of your particular model on the fan’s housing assembly, or you can check your Home Depot receipt or online order history to check the SKU. The following Hampton Bay Mara Indoor/Outdoor Ceiling Fans are being recalled:
- Matte White Finish (UPC: 82392519186, Home Depot SKU: 1005096060)
- Matte Black Finish (UPC: 82392519193, Home Depot SKU: 1005096031)
- Black Finish (UPC: 82392599195, Home Depot SKU: 1004773032)
- Polished Nickel Finish (UPC: 82392599188, Home Depot SKU: 1004773034)
If your fan is being recalled, King of Fans will ship you a replacement.
According to a video from King of Fans, if you have one of the affected fans, don’t take it back to Home Depot. Instead, do the following:
- Call King of Fans customers service at 1-866-443-1291 to get a service record number and give them your address.
- Uninstall the fan.
- Cut the lead wires to ensure the fan is inoperable.
- Take a photo of the top of the housing assembly and the cut wires and email it to MaraRecall@kingoffans.com with your service record number.
- King of Fans will ship a replacement fan within three business days.
You could also check your fan’s blade clip.
King of Fans has a video helping fan owners check their fan’s blade clip, and if needed, tighten the blade clip screws.