Black Friday 2020 sales might be over, but we’re still hunting for the best deals on all your wishlist items through the holidays. Bookmark this page and set a phone alert to check back here next year for the best Black Friday Kohl’s tips for 2021.
Below are some of our best Black Friday Kohl’s shopping tips. For live deals, visit our Kohl’s deals page.
Every Black Friday I remember how much Kohl’s knows me and loves me. Even this year, though different, I can already feel the love.
Not only do they offer online Doorbusters (move over Macy’s, this Krazy isn’t getting out of their pajama pants) that compete with or beat out competitors on price, but they throw all the Kohl’s Cash at me.
Want to learn how to get the best price and earn enough to come back for more guilt-free shopping? Here’s how to win Kohl’s Black Friday 2020.
For Kohl’s deals year-round be sure to bookmark our KCL Kohl’s deals page.
1. Be on high alert for the Kohl’s Black Friday ad to drop as early as October.
Kohl’s tends to lead the pack when it comes to dropping their Black Friday ad. In 2017 the Kohl’s Black Friday ad leaked at the end of October, and in 2018 and 2019 on Nov. 1.
This year, it seems more and more retailers are rushing into holiday season earlier than ever. If they want to remain one of the first to publish a Black Friday ad, we should expect Kohl’s to leak it as early as October.
Once the ad is here, study up and treat it like gold. Then, download the KCL app (setting it for Kohl’s push alerts), and bookmark KCL’s Black Friday Deals page for good measure. Now you’re triple covered and won’t miss a single deal!
2. Get $15 in Kohl’s Cash for every $50 you spend.
This whole article could be summed up like this: You get $15 in Kohl’s Cash every time you spend $50 during Kohl’s Black Friday week. You’ll be swimming in Kohl’s Cash by Saturday. THE END.
The ability to earn Kohl’s Cash puts Kohl’s ahead of the other retailers. For example, if I want to buy an Xbox, and prices are comparable between Kohl’s, Target and Walmart, but I get $45-$60 back in Kohl’s Cash if I purchase it there, why would I bother with the others?
It basically ensures that you can come back for another shopping trip, completely guilt-free. Read on to tip #3 to see what I mean.
3. Only do half of your holiday shopping during Kohl’s Black Friday.
Why? Well, because you want to actually spend all that Kohl’s Cash you’re earning, not just swim in it.
The Kohl’s Cash you rack up during Black Friday can be used the weekend after. A smart shopping strategy would be to buy the big-ticket sale items on your shopping list during Black Friday and then use the Kohl’s Cash to finish off your list. Think KitchenAid mixers and Bissell Vacuums now, sweaters and stocking stuffers later.
This way, you’re literally creating your own sale on items you still need. Look at you, being the boss and having it all.
If you haven’t yet, hurry and download the KCL app. You’ll get alerts throughout Black Friday on Kohl’s Doorbusters and deals as they are happening.
4. Skip the stores, Kohls.com is the best place to shop on Black Friday.
Kohl’s Black Friday deals and Doorbusters are all available online. Doorbusters are even available earlier online than they’re available in store.
Listen, things are weird this year. Stay home in your PJs with your mashed potatoes and enjoy the same savings you’d see in store right from the comfort of your couch.
Since you can earn Kohl’s Cash in store and online, there’s absolutely no reason to go in. Unless you like crowds, chaos and not being the first one to the deals.
5. Use Kohl’s Drive Up to get your order unless you plan to spend more than $25.
Normally shipping is free after a $75 purchase at Kohl’s, but on Black Friday the free shipping minimum drops to $25. Either way, there’s no reason to pay for shipping at Kohl’s because almost everything is available for in-store pickup, or even better, use the new Drive Up feature.
To use Drive Up, all you’ll need to do is place your order and select “free store pick-up” at checkout. You’ll then get an email that directs you to pull into a designated Drive Up parking spot when your order is ready. Tap “I’m here” and the rest of the work is done for you.
Not only will you avoid the crowds completely, you’ll also have seven calendar days to get your order. There’s no rush to grab the last ham when your order has already been secured and is waiting patiently for your arrival.
6. Shop Kohl’s Black Friday deals starting the Monday prior…or maybe sooner.
Kohl’s loves to get a jump on Black Friday. Mixed feelings about that, but for years now, they’ve offered Black Friday deals starting the Monday prior to Black Friday. Can we expect the Black Friday prices to appear even earlier this year? It’s very possible.
They typically divide the offerings up into “Black Friday Deals” starting the Monday before, and “Doorbuster Sales” starting at 12:01 a.m. on Thanksgiving, which leads me to. . .
7. Stores are closed on Thanksgiving this year, but you can still score Doorbusters online starting Thursday at 12:01 a.m.
Remember how I said not to bother going in store for Kohl’s Black Friday shopping?
Well, this year, you don’t really have the choice. Kohl’s is one of the many stores that announced Thanksgiving closures this year in response to Covid. But don’t let that bring you down because they offer Doorbuster deals online only for basically all of Thanksgiving Day anyway.
Doorbusters are the best-of-the-best deals, so plan to stay up late Wednesday night and shop right when the clock strikes 12:01 a.m. (Central Time) just as Thanksgiving Thursday begins.
Then enjoy the holiday with your family and avoid the stores that have decided to stay open during Thanksgiving dinner.
8. Find Doorbuster deals throughout the Kohl’s Black Friday ad, not just the first page.
Most retailers put their very best deals on the first and the back page of their Black Friday ads, with the “meh” deals in the middle. But not Kohl’s!
If you’re planning to look through the ad (and we highly recommend that you do) make sure you look through all of it. Last year, they had an additional 15% off $1 holiday socks all the way on page 39.
9. The best things to buy are small kitchen appliances, gaming consoles, FitBit, and towels.
But honestly? You can buy almost anything at Kohl’s Black Friday with confidence that you’re getting a decent deal. It’s all about that Kohl’s Cash, baby.
Check out some prices we saw last year compared to other top retailers. It’s clear to see why you should be team Kohl’s this season.
FitBit Inspire HR $69.99 + $15 Kohl’s Cash (regularly $99)
- Kohl’s: $69.99 + $15 in Kohl’s Cash (Doorbuster price)
- Target: $69.95 (sale price and 5% RedCard discount)
Xbox One S 1TB Minecraft Creators Bundle $199.99 + $60 Kohl’s Cash (regularly $299.99)
- Kohl’s: $199.99 + $60 in Kohl’s Cash (Doorbuster price)
- Walmart: $268.99 (online sale price)
Canon EOS Rebel T6 $399.99 + $120 Kohl’s Cash (regularly $749.99)
- Kohl’s: $399.99 + $120 in Kohl’s Cash
- Target: $449.99 (sale price)
The Big One towels $2.54 Each (regularly $9.99)
- Kohl’s: $2.54 each after sale + 15% off site-wide coupon. These are only sold at Kohl’s — but huge, fluffy towels for $2.54 each is something to get excited about.
Small Kitchen Appliances $2.14 After Rebate (regularly $18.99)
- Kohl’s: Pay $16.14 after a 15% off coupon, then submit for a $14 mail-in rebate for a final price of just $2.14
- Macy’s: Pay $19.99, then submit for a $12 mail-in rebate for a final price of $7.99
10. Don’t buy bedding sets at Kohl’s — buy them at Macy’s instead.
Macy’s price on multi-piece bedding sets really can’t be beat, not even by Kohl’s.
Both stores offer 70% off bedding during Black Friday, but Macy’s takes the lead with 8-piece bedding sets in any size for $27.99. Compare this with 6-piece bedding sets from Kohl’s that ring up at $39.99.
Since Kohl’s offered this deal the Sunday after Black Friday last year, there was no potential to earn Kohl’s Cash. But — this is a prime example of things you can get better prices on when you use all that saved up Kohl’s Cash earned the week before.
11. Get on Kohl’s email list ASAP and look for a “$5-off-$5” or “$10-off-$10” coupon on Black Friday.
During Kohl’s Black Friday sales of the past (the actual day), they sent out coupons via email that shoppers could use on Black Friday purchases — either “$5 off a $5 purchase” or “$10 off a $10 purchase” Kohl’s coupon.
12. Watch for a 20-40% off Kohl’s coupon in your inbox early December.
And then, just when we’d recovered from all the good Kohl’s Black Friday deals, Doorbusters and the surprise “$10 off a $10 purchase” coupon, Kohl’s surprises us again with a “Mystery Savings” email offer during the second week of December.
We saw 20% off, 30% and 40% off sitewide promo codes come through at random (you had to open the email to see what you got, but everyone got something).
Moral of the story: Make sure you’re on Kohl’s email list by mid-November. This is good advice even during non-holiday time. Ever wonder where people are getting those 30% off Mystery codes throughout the year? You have to be on Kohl’s email list.
13. Plan to save at least 60%, and aim for 70-80% savings after Kohl’s Cash.
Basically, whatever percentage Kohl’s advertises that you’re saving, add a few more percentage points to it to account for Kohl’s Cash you’re earning.
Here’s a snippet of what we expect to see before applying Kohl’s Cash savings:
- Up to 60% off kids’ sleepwear
- Up to 60% off vacuums
- Up to 60% off accent furniture
- Up to 70% off tabletop and kitchen textiles
- Up to 75% off luggage
- Up to 75% off fine jewelry
- Up to 75% off Cuddl Duds
- Up to 75% off blankets and throws
14. Don’t wait for Black Friday to get Under Armour and Nike items.
Last year, Kohl’s offered select Under Armour clothing for kids and adults at up to 50% savings, and Nike for up to 30% off (Nike shoes were up to 25% off). On top of that, those deals didn’t show up until early December, and there wasn’t an active Kohl’s Cash offer.
We see up to 70% off clearance prices on Under Armour and Nike pretty much all year round at Kohl’s. Best advice here is to pull the trigger on these brands when they go on clearance, don’t wait for Black Friday.
15. Do mail-in-rebate deals whenever possible. You’ll get Kohl’s Cash too!
Like Macy’s, Kohl’s has offered mail-in-rebate deals for years during Black Friday. We can expect it’ll be a part of Kohl’s killer offerings this year too.
Here’s a sampling of mail-in-rebates we’ve seen in years past:
- $10 back on luggage
- $10 back on Pyrex
- $10 back on As Seen On TV 5-piece copper cookware
- $10 back on select knife sets
- $12-$60 back on small appliances
- $20 back on Sonicare for Kids
A big takeaway here is that there are limits for rebates so make sure you are reading all the details on your forms. Usually there’s a limit of five of the same item per household, but sometimes it’s only two.
16. Keep your eyes peeled for cash-back savings through Ibotta.
If you’re lucky, you can get up to 2% back when you shop Kohl’s on your smartphone through Ibotta, which is one of our favorite rebate apps.
To get your cash back, make sure you access the Kohl’s website through the Ibotta app — and then begin shopping. Easy peasy.
Related links you’ll love:
- KCL Black Friday Deals
- 14 Ways to Dominate Black Friday Shopping at Macy’s
- 22 Killer Kohl’s Deals Everyone on a Budget Should Know