If you’re planning ahead for Black Friday 2022, then there’s a good chance Macy’s Black Friday sale needs to be on your list no matter what you’re shopping for.
Macy’s is famous for Black Friday shopping traditions like free-after-rebate doorbusters, under-$10 small appliances, and 85% savings on jewelry. Ever since 2020, though, Macy’s Black Friday sale has changed, and we haven’t seen some of those traditions in years.
I dug through the last three years of data, and I’m here to spell out exactly what to expect from Macy’s Black Friday sale in 2022, including the key dates, strategies, and stock-up prices you need to know.
- If you can’t wait for the sale, check out the best Macy’s coupons and deals available now.
- Download the KCL app and “favorite” Macy’s, which means you won’t even have to look for the best deals — we’ll just send them straight to your phone.
- And if you’d like even more tips about shopping at Macy’s, then you gotta read our guide to every single Macy’s hack.
Let’s start with the basics… the next sale:
1. Expect the 2022 Macy’s Black Friday sale to start Nov. 22.
Even though Macy’s (like everyone, it seems) ran early Black Friday deals, their true Black Friday sale didn’t start until the week of Thanksgiving.
As they did in 2020, Macy’s opened up their Black Friday sale both in stores and online starting the Tuesday before Black Friday. The sale, as usual, ran through the Saturday immediately following Black Friday.
In 2022, that Tuesday falls on Nov. 22, so that’s when we’re expecting to see this sale begin.
2. Macy’s Black Friday ad should go live around Nov. 1, 2022.
In 2019 and 2020, Macy’s dropped their Black Friday ad in the first week of November. In 2021, Macy’s released their Black Friday ad earlier than ever in late October.
It made sense to release it earlier in 2021, as Macy’s also launched early Black Friday deals starting in the first week of November. If they run the same sale, then expect to see the Black Friday ad no later than Nov. 1.
3. “Bonus Buy” jewelry is 85% off reg. price — that’s the best deal of Macy’s Black Friday.
Macy’s “Bonus Buy” jewelry is consistently among the best value you can get during Macy’s Black Friday sale.
In 2020 they offered diamond earrings (regularly $200) for just $29.99 when you made any $25 purchase. That’s an 85% savings! In 2021 they ran the same exact deal, plus Macy’s slapped 85% discounts on other jewelry items, like these pearl earrings:
Buy 1 Belle de Mer Cultured Freshwater Pearls (reg. $32.50), $4.99 sale price
Final Price: $4.99 (85 % savings)
By the way, Macy’s limits the amount of bonus buys you can take home. It’s a limit of 10 per customer in stores or 1 online.
4. Watch for Macy’s Black Friday deals as early as the first week of November.
Macy’s was once known for doorbuster “free after rebate” deals on items like kitchen appliances, glassware sets, plush throws, and more during Black Friday. I’m not confident we’ll see those in 2022, though, given that Macy’s hasn’t run this promo since 2019.
Instead, in 2021 Macy’s launched Black Friday Early Access deals every week of November leading up to Black Friday. Although they weren’t as great as the free-after-rebate deals, we still saw 40 – 70% savings on Cuisinart knife sets, women’s slippers, and brand-name bras.
Buy 1 Name-Brand Bra ($34+ reg. price), $9.99 sale price
FInal Price: $9.99 (72% savings)
5. Get a free Macy’s coupon from the Black Friday ad.
I always take home Macy’s Black Friday ad, and not necessarily for the information. I do it for the coupon.
Since 2019, Macy’s has included one or two coupons in their Black Friday ad. In 2020, they had one coupon for $10 off any purchase of $25 and another for $20 off any purchase of $50. In 2021 it was one coupon for 20% off select sale and clearance items.
If you don’t get a coupon in 2022, then be sure to check this page for available coupons sorted by department.
Below I’ve rounded up the best deals we saw from Macy’s 2021 Black Friday sale.
6. Earn Macy’s Black Friday free shipping minimum when you spend $25 or more.
Macy’s rarely has completely free shipping. We see it once or twice a year, and never on Black Friday.
In 2021, Macy’s free shipping minimum was reduced to just $25 (that’s $10 cheaper than even Walmart’s threshold). This threshold continued through Black Friday. Plus, with all the great deals, it’s easy to hit $25.
7. Get $10 in Macy’s Money by requesting no-hurry shipping.
In years past, Macy’s has offered $10 in Macy’s Money for anyone who chooses no-hurry shipping (minimum $25 on your order). Like with the Macy’s Money earning period, I’ve only seen the no-hurry shipping offer around Black Friday.
“No Hurry” shipping means that instead of getting your order in 3-6 days, it’ll arrive in 6-9 days. In 2021, there was no limit to the number of times you could place an order at Macys.com for $25 or more to get $10 in Macy’s Money.
So, instead of spending $75, split up your purchase among three separate orders and end up with $30 in Macy’s Money.
8. Macy’s small appliance Black Friday deals no longer have rebates, but still cost as low as $7.99.
For years, Macy’s had great deals on small appliances like a toaster, waffle maker, griddle, blender, and more for just $7.99 after a $12 mail-in or online rebate. The regular price on these is up to $44.99.
For 2021, the rebates were gone. But the deals were still there. Tons of appliances from Hamilton Beach, George Foreman, Bella & more will be available starting at $7.99 (reg. up to $44.99) during the 2022 sale.
9. Aim for 50 – 80% savings on towels, comforter sets, and boots during Macy’s Black Friday sale.
If you’re looking for stock-up prices, here are some of the best deals we saw from Macy’s during their 2021 Black Friday sale. Keep these price points in mind when shopping for comforter sets, women’s boots, Shark vacuums, and bath towels:
- 8-Piece Comforter Sets (reg. $100), $30 sale price
- Women’s Boots (reg. $69.99), $19.99 sale price
- Select Shark Vacuums (reg. $159.95) $79.99 sale price
- Bath towels (reg. $14), $2.99 sale price
10. Look for high-end makeup value sets starting at $5 — otherwise, shop at ULTA.
Ulta shows up to Black Friday with their game face on, and in years past Macy’s hasn’t kept up. Well, most of the time.
My advice is to stick to the value sets for gift giving or stocking stuffers at Macy’s as your best investment. In 2021 Macy’s offered Clinique stocking stuffer kits for only $5, Philosophy shower gels for $10, and Clinique fragrance sets for $10.
Other than that, Ulta’s savings were identical on brand-name cosmetics. But Ulta likes to give their shoppers a free gift if they spend enough money, which is why I’d rather shop beauty products there.
11. Wait for Macy’s post-holiday clearance sale for the best prices on Christmas decor.
In recent years, Macy’s has offered 50 – 80% savings on Christmas decor starting Dec. 26 in store and online. In 2021, here’s what those discounts included:
- National Tree Company 3-Foot Silver Tinsel Tree (reg. $52), $10.40 sale price
- Holiday Lane Tree Topper Collection (reg. $100), $20 sale price
- Holiday Lane Initials Ornament (reg. $12), $2.40 sale price
12. Avoid the Black Friday crowds with Macy’s curbside pickup.
In previous years, you could avoid Black Friday crowds and steep free-shipping thresholds by opting for free store pickup at checkout.
All you have to do is shop online and select curbside pickup at checkout when available. You’ll get an email with instructions. Once you get to the store, just give ’em a call. An associate will bring the order right to your car.
And hey, with Macy’s discontinuing their Black Friday doorbuster deals, you’re not really missing out on anything when you shop their Black Friday sale online.
13. No need to rush — you have 7 days to pick up your items.
You already beat the crowds once by ordering online — beat them again by waiting until the Black Friday crowds die down.
You have seven days to claim your order at the store, so there’s certainly no rush. If you happen to forget about your order, they will issue a complete refund and cancel the order completely.
14. Macy’s cardholders can use “Macy’s Pay” to avoid long lines on Black Friday.
Macy’s cardholders, did you know you have an exclusive feature in your app that allows you to skip the lines? It’s called Macy’s Pay.
If you haven’t already, download the Macy’s app and sign in to your account. Tap “Store Mode” and scan items you want to buy as you’re shopping and then pay through the app with a unique barcode.
You’ll visit a designated Scan & Pay Checkout to get the security tags removed and bags for your items.
15. If you’re a Macy’s Cardholder, save your 25% off Star Rewards coupon for Black Friday.
Star Rewards is only exciting if you’re a Macy’s Cardholder. Cardholders get up to 25% off any day with a Star Pass once they reach 1,000 points.
Once you reach that point, save that 25% off coupon to use on Black Friday for something you really want. Just note that you can’t stack it with other coupons like the ones found in the Black Friday ad.
If you have any questions I didn’t answer in this breakdown, let me know in the comments below. Thanks for reading!