Black Friday 2020 sales might be over, but we’re still hunting for the best deals on all your wishlist items through the holidays. Bookmark this page and set a phone alert to check back here next year for the best Black Friday Macy’s deals for 2021.
Below are the best deals we saw in 2020.
Macy’s is famous for being a pioneer in Black Friday shopping traditions. Although this year may look different, it seems like Macy’s is doing what they can to keep the season as normal as possible.
If Black Friday shopping is your jam, then Macy’s is probably high on your list of places to hit. The famous free-after-rebate doorbusters, $7.99 kitchen appliances, and up to 80% savings on bedding are just some of the Macy’s Black Friday deals we expect to see again this year.
There are great bargains, but you also need to know how to weed through the “meh” deals in order to get the best ones.
Here are some tips and tricks to help you navigate Macy’s Black Friday 2020.
Psst! Bookmark the KCL Macy’s Deal page to stay on top of all the Black Friday deals this season!
1. Shop Macy’s Black Friday sales two days earlier this year than ever before.
In a recent statement, Macy’s announced two additional days of shopping this year both in stores and online.
Typically, we see Macy’s online Black Friday sales drop the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and in stores on Thanksgiving Day. The free-after-rebate doorbusters we wait all year for are available in stores only from 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day until 2 a.m. when stores close, then again on Friday from 6 a.m to 1 p.m., or until they sell out.
This year, it appears Macy’s online, in-store, and app Black Friday deals will all be available starting Tuesday, Nov. 24 through Saturday Nov. 28.
2. Take advantage of Macy’s Black Friday doorbuster deals that result in freebies.
It’s tradition for Macy’s to offer free-after-rebate items like small kitchen appliances, glassware sets, plush throws and a lot more on Black Friday. This is assuming Macy’s stores will be open (they have yet to join our growing list of stores closing on Thanksgiving), and you can score the doorbusters as usual.
The process to get your freebies is the number one question we get asked during Macy’s Black Friday sales. Here’s what you need to know:
- You’ll pay $10-$45 at the time of purchase.
- You must grab a mail-in rebate form at checkout from the cashier.
- Your rebate will come in the form of a prepaid Visa gift card in 6-8 weeks.
- There’s a limit of one doorbuster type per customer. This means, you can get one of each doorbuster. You just can’t get more than one of the same thing.
- If you do get more than one doorbuster, you’ll need to fill out and mail in a separate form for each individual item.
- Free-after-rebate doorbusters are available until 1 p.m. or while supplies last on Black Friday. Then the prices will go up to their sale price.
The only catch is that you actually have to go in store by 1 p.m. on Black Friday to get these deals — historically, you can’t get them online. Speaking of which…
3. Only go to the store if you want a Macy’s Black Friday doorbuster.
Otherwise, especially this year, shop Macy’s online.
Macy’s online Black Friday deals start on Tuesday, Nov. 24 and go through the Saturday after Black Friday.
Macy’s hasn’t officially stated when or where the free doorbusters will be available this year, but we’ll likely have a better idea when the Macy’s Black Friday ad drops in November.
4. Expect the Macy’s Black Friday ad to drop earlier than normal.
Stores rarely leak their ads on the exact same day every year. Usually, the Macy’s Black Friday ad is one of the last to be released (after Target and JCPenney, but before Walmart). The 2018 ad leaked on Nov. 5, and last year it was on Nov. 12.
This year, everyone seems to be getting in on holiday shopping season a little early. Look for the ad to be released closer to Nov. 1.
Download the KCL app and you’ll be the first to know about major retailer Black Friday ad leaks.
5. Clip the “$10 off $25” and “$20 off $50” Macy’s coupons from the Black Friday ad, and read the list of exclusions.
Don’t accidentally skip over these coupons usually found within the first few pages of the Macy’s Black Friday ad. You can use them in store, or use the coordinating coupon codes online on select clearance or sale purchases.
You won’t be able to stack these Macy’s coupons with other available offers, but sometimes the dollar-off savings is higher than percentage-off savings and these coupons will come in handy.
The list of exclusions for these Macy’s coupons is pretty enormous, so it’s worth a once-over before getting your heart set on something in particular. Also note that coupons can’t be used on doorbusters.
6. If you’re a Macy’s cardholder, use “Macy’s Pay” to avoid standing in long lines on Black Friday.
Macy’s cardholders, did you know you have an exclusive feature in your app that allows you to skip the lines?
If you haven’t already, download the Macy’s app and sign in to your account. Tap “Store Mode” and scan items you want to buy as you’re shopping and then pay through the app with a unique barcode.
You’ll visit a designated Scan & Pay Checkout to get the security tags removed and bags for your items.
7. Look for “Bonus Buys” to get better-than-sale-price deals when you make qualifying purchases.
Macy’s Black Friday deals usually include a couple different “Bonus Buy” options when you make a qualifying purchase.
Last year for example, they offered a diamond earring Bonus Buy with any $50 purchase. You could add them to your cart at checkout for just $29.99, regularly $200 — that’s an 85% savings!
Expect bonus deals like this in 2020 as well.
8. Wait to get your KitchenAid stand mixer at Macy’s when it’s $179.99 or cheaper.
Last Macy’s Black Friday, we saw prices go lower than ever on items like KitchenAid stand mixers. Keep these price-points in mind when shopping for popular items so you know you’re getting KCL-approved savings:
- Kid’s Puffer Jackets ($14.99-$19.99)
- Down Alternative Comforters for any size bed ($14.99-$19.99)
- Electric Blankets ($19.99-$29.99)
- 8-Piece Comforter Sets ($29.99-$34.99)
- 3-Piece Comforter Sets ($19.99)
- Select Bissel & Shark Vacuums ($78.99)
- Women’s Boots ($19.99)
- Cotton Bath Towels ($2.99)
- Makeup Value Sets featuring brands like bareMinerals, Benefit, Too Faced, Urban Decay ($10)
- Bella & Black & Decker small kitchen appliances ($7.99 after rebate)
9. Settle for 25-40% savings on brands like The North Face, UGG, and Nike.
These brands are rarely discounted past 40%, but are worth buying even for this low-of-a-percent savings.
If you aren’t too brand-specific though, and can feel good about getting a similar style for deeper discounts, go for items from Columbia, Muk Luks, and Finish Line. You’ll likely see a savings of 60% or more at checkout.
10. You don’t need to go in store to take advantage of the $7.99 appliance rebate offers.
In addition to the free-after-rebate offers available in stores, you can get small appliances like a toaster, waffle maker, griddle, blender, and more for just $7.99 after a $12 mail-in or online rebate. The regular price on these is up to $44.99.
The protocol is similar to that of the doorbusters, but you don’t need to step foot into a Macy’s if you don’t want to.
Shop online and save your emailed receipt. You’ll be able to download an online rebate form to score money back on a prepaid Visa. This is a great option for those of us who want really great deals, but don’t want to brave the crowds.
11. Look for $10 high-end makeup value sets — otherwise, shop at ULTA .
Ulta shows up to Black Friday with their game face on, and Macy’s can’t keep up most of the time.
Macy’s Black Friday makeup discounts are around 30-40% — sometimes up to 50% if we get lucky. Savings at Ulta start at 50% for big-name brands.
Our advice is to stick to the value sets for gift giving or stocking stuffers at Macy’s. Last year, we saw sets from brands like bareMinerals, Benefit, Too Faced, and Urban Decay for just $10.
12. The free shipping minimum will be way cheaper this year than ever before.
Macy’s rarely has completely free shipping. We see it once or twice a year, and never on Black Friday.
For the last several months, Macy’s free shipping minimum has been just $25 (that’s $10 cheaper than even Walmart’s threshold).
It seems this trend will continue through Black Friday and into next year, making it the lowest free shipping threshold we’ve seen at Macy’s during this time of year. Last year it was $49, and usually it’s $75.
13. Minimize contact with a new Macy’s curbside pickup option.
In previous years, you could avoid Black Friday crowds and steep free shipping thresholds by opting for free store pickup at checkout. While this is still an option, you can now minimize contact even more with free Macy’s curbside pickup.
Shop online and select curbside pickup at checkout when available. You’ll get an email with instructions, but basically all you need to do is wait for your order to be prepared. You can head to a store and call when you arrive. An associate will bring the order right to your car.
14. Don’t rush to the store to pick up your items — you have seven days.
Wait until the Black Friday crowds die down.
You have seven days to claim your order at the store, so there’s certainly no rush. If you happen to forget about your order, they will issue a complete refund and cancel the order completely.
15. If you’re a Macy’s Cardholder, save your 25% off Star Rewards coupon for Black Friday.
Star Rewards is only exciting if you’re a Macy’s Cardholder. Cardholders get up to 25% off any day with a Star Pass once they reach 1,000 points.
Save this Macy’s coupon to use on Black Friday for something you really want. Just note that you can’t stack it with other coupons like the ones found the in the Black Friday ad.