Is anyone else obsessed with Macy’s? If you aren’t yet, then you’re about to be! Macy’s is clearance and savings heaven, if you know how to navigate. We’re here to help!
Below I’ve broken down how to save at least 50 – 60% whenever you shop at Macy’s. Here’s what you can expect:
- The easiest ways to save at Macy’s, including flash sales, clearance tips, and freebies.
- A list of the best Macy’s sales we’ve seen each year, like Macy’s Black Friday sale and Macy’s 10 Days of Glam beauty sale.
- Simplifying Macy’s fine print about things like Macy’s return policy or if Macy’s credit card makes sense for you.
And be sure to download the KCL app for leads on great deals, and “favorite” Macy’s to see even more ways to save at your favorite DIY store.
1. Macy’s clearance offers 60 – 80% savings every single day.
They’re often at their final markdown price, which is why we find super-steep discounts on the Last Act clearance racks scattered throughout the store.
You’ll find one section in women’s, one in men’s, one in shoes, kids’, etc. This is one of my favorite places to find Macy’s dresses! I can seriously get them so cheap.
Last Act clearance gets marked down about once a month, but the schedule depends on inventory (read on to become an expert at shopping Macy’s clearance!).
PRO TIP: Take note that the return policy for Last Act merchandise is only 30 days.
2. Shop Macy’s clearance when items get out-of-season markdowns.
In general, the best time to buy items is when they’re out of season.
Macy’s is a powerhouse when it comes to sales and one of the best is their four-times-a-year, Lowest Prices of the Season event. Each Macy’s season lasts three months and at the end, unsold seasonal items often get placed on clearance until they sell.
That means the best times to shop end-of-season clearance racks are:
- Spring clearance: early April
- Summer clearance: early July
- Fall clearance: early October
- Winter clearance: early January
So when is the next Macy’s Lowest Price of the Season sale?
Based on previous year’s, we expect the next Macy’s end-of-season clearance sale to begin on Monday, April 6th. We expect markdowns of 40-60% in every department, both in-store and online. And watch for free shipping with only a $25 spend.
Here’s our rundown of each retailer’s markdown schedule.
3. Buy Macy’s clearance shoes when they’re at least 55% off regular price.
The most common items we see on Macy’s clearance are shoes, clothes, and apparel. If you check Macy’s clearance once per 1 – 2 weeks, then you’ll get opportunities to buy those items at a 55% discount. In February 2022, I found a pair of kids’ Nike basketball shoes (reg. $60) for $25.
Items like jewelry are a little tougher to find on clearance, but when they’re there — you gotta pull the trigger. In 2021 we saw Macy’s mark down Ralph Lauren, Betsy Johnson, and DKNY jewelry to 70 – 79% off their regular prices. The best deal was on this DKNY earrings set:
Buy 1 DKNY Gold-Tone 3-Piece Set Button & Hoop Earrings (reg. $38), $8.93 clearance price
Free store pickup
Final Price: $8.93
4. Macy’s will price match competitors (excluding Amazon and Costco).
Macy’s price match policy isn’t highly publicized, but it’s pretty straightforward. Macy’s will price match an identical item from an approved store’s website within 10 days.
To get a price match, just show the store ad, website, or another form of proof of price to your Macy’s cashier. (Or customer service associate for Macys.com orders over the phone.)
Get a Macy’s price match from these stores:
- Bon Ton
- Lord & Taylor
- Neiman Marcus
- Saks Fifth Avenue
5. Get a free 25% off Macy’s coupon by signing up for Macy’s emails.
If you haven’t created a free Macy’s profile yet, get on it. When you do, you’ll get an email with a 25% off coupon for your next purchase.
Oh, and don’t forget to check our Macy’s coupons page for any ongoing promotions you can take advantage of. There are 10 – 25% off promotions going on every day.
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to stack your email signup coupon with any of those daily promotions. Coupon stacking is one of a long list of exclusions included in Macy’s coupon policy.
6. Shop Macy’s one-day sales for 50% savings on Nike, dresses, and shoes.
Macy’s runs one-day flash sales at least once per month (they almost always run on a Saturday), and if you’re looking for premium brands like Nike, TOMS, and Tommy Hilfiger, then these are the sales you need to hit.
We’ve seen 50 – 75% savings on all of the above, which matches the best prices we see from Macy’s during Black Friday. Here are some of the deals we saw in 2021:
Buy 1 TOMS Women’s Avalon Slip On Sneakers (reg. $59) $29.50, sale price
Free shipping on orders of $25+ or free store pickup
Final Price: $29.50
Buy 1 Nike Men’s Therma Fleece Hoodie (reg. $55), $27.50 sale price
Free shipping on orders of $25+ or free store pickup
Final Price: $27.50
These sales have always been available online and in stores. The easiest way to know when they go live is to follow our Macy’s coupons page.
7. Macy’s stores will price match Macys.com.
Macys.com prices are different from in-store prices often enough that I’ve taken to walking around stores with my Macy’s app out to check prices as I go. Here are some of the differences I saw on a recent trip:
- This Carter’s Onesie (reg. $14) was marked down 50% online but full price in store.
- This Merino Henley Sweater (reg. $75) was marked down 77% online but 60% off in store.
- This Women’s Pajama Set (reg. $59.50) was $10.96 online but $15 in store.
If an item’s cheaper online, just show the online price to the cashier using your phone, and you’ll get the item for the online price.
8. Macy’s coupon policy excludes lots of brands.
So many coupons, so few things to use them on! Each coupon has its own set of exclusions, and you can find them on the bottom of your physical coupon or by hitting the “exclusions” link Macy’s puts near the bottom of their online coupons.
Common exclusions include Deals of the Day, Doorbusters, Everyday Values, Macy’s Backstage, specials, Super Buys, and name brands like Apple, Coach, Dyson, Fitbit, KitchenAid Pro Line, The North Face and so many more.
9. And you can’t use a Macy’s coupon on Last Act clearance.
Although Macy’s used to allow coupon stacking on Last Act items, they did away with it in early 2016.
10. Look for Macy’s yellow price tags ending in ‘6’ — that means final markdown.
Yellow price tags ending in “6” are final markdowns. That means the price won’t go any lower, so you may as well buy it if you love it!
Blue tags ending in “3” are second-to-last markdowns. They happen 2 – 4 weeks before yellow tag markdowns, and are usually in the mid-70%- off range.
The only other color you’ll find are white clearance tags. Always get a price check on these, as some of the white-tagged clearance items haven’t been on the rack long enough to get a markdown — so you may be able to find it cheaper online and get a price match in store.
11. Save 45 – 60% on housewares with Macy’s rebates.
You can find current Macy’s rebates on their website. The average rebate value is $30. (My general rule of thumb is only take advantage of rebates over $5. Anything less isn’t worth the trouble or the postage stamp.)
Rebates often coincide with sale prices. And unlike with other discounts, you can stack rebate prices with coupons at Macy’s.
Stacking a sale with a rebate, or a sale + Macy’s coupon + rebate can yield savings of nearly 60%. That’s exactly what I did when I stacked my email sign-up coupon with a $20 rebate on this Martha Stewart cast iron (reg. $199.99):
Buy 1 Martha Stewart Collection Enameled Cast Iron Round 6-Qt. Dutch Oven (reg. $199.99) $129.99, sale price
Submit 1 $20 Macy’s rebate
Use 1 coupon for 25% off
Free shipping on orders over $25
Final Price: $82.49
It takes about a month to receive your rebates. Once you submit, you’ll receive an email with a tracking number, and you can check the status of your rebate anytime at MacysRebates.com.
PRO TIP: If you shopped in store, you have to submit your rebate paperwork at a Macy’s store. If you bought online, you have to use the online rebate form. Even though the forms are nearly identical, it matters. Trust me. I learned this the hard way!
12. Skip KitchenAid at Macy’s — shop Target instead and save 55%.
Name brands that don’t get clearanced out, such as KitchenAid, are generally not great items to buy at Macy’s.
Instead, get your KitchenAid fix from Target, which is where I found this 5-quart KitchenAid stand mixer (reg. $429.99) on sale for $199.99 ($189.99 after I used my RedCard discount).
KitchenAid 5-Qt Professional Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer (reg. $429.99) $199.99
Use RedCard for 5% off
Final price: $189.99
See our breakdown of the best retailers for KitchenAid here.
13. Take advantage of Macy’s freebies like bra fittings, makeup samples, and suit fittings.
You can get a free bra fitting, free makeover, and free makeup samples at the cosmetic counters! The Macy’s suit department also does free fittings.
Love freebies? Here are nearly three dozen things you can always get for free.
14. Get Macy’s free shipping whenever you spend at least $25.
Macy’s rarely runs free shipping promos, even during their biggest sales events like Black Friday or their 10 Days of Glam sale.
If you don’t meet the shipping minimum, you can place an online order for free in-store pickup. If your item’s in stock, Macy’s will have it ready in as little as two hours. If it’s not, they’ll have to ship it to the store (still free!), which usually takes 5 – 8 business days.
15. Earn $10 in Macy’s Money when you shop Macy’s during the holiday season.
Macy’s Money is the same concept as Kohl’s Cash. Think of it like a Macy’s gift card that you can earn by shopping during special promotional periods. In 2021, those promo periods took place during the holiday season and Mother’s Day weekend.
Anyone who shopped online during a Macy’s Money promotional period in 2021 was rewarded with $10 in Macy’s Money for every $50 they spent. Here’s the earning scale:
- Spend $50, Get $10
- Spend $100, Get $20
- Spend $150, Get $30
- Spend $200, Get $40
You have to redeem your Macy’s Money during a specific redemption window, which is outlined on your Macy’s Money card or email. Like a gift card, Macy’s Money can be stacked on top of any coupon or sales price (online and in store).
You can also earn Macy’s Money by choosing “no hurry” shipping during the holiday season. In 2021, Macy’s gave anyone who chose “no hurry” shipping (and spent a minimum of $25) $10 in Macy’s Money.
Here’s everything else you need to know about Macy’s Money.
16. Macy’s best beauty sale is the 10 Days of Glam event, and it happens twice a year.
If you’re looking for Macy’s best beauty sales, then you need to keep an eye out for Macy’s 10 Days of Glam event: a twice-a-year sale that promises 25 – 50% off all of Macy’s beauty products.
The sale features dozens of deals that run all 10 days and offer 25 – 50% savings. But the best premium brand deals rotate each day of the sale. These daily deals are where we’ve seen the best savings on brand-name beauty products from bareMinerals, Clinique, TONYMOLY, and more.
Here’s one of the bareMinerals deals I saw on Day 1 of Macy’s beauty sale:
Buy 1 bareMinerals Hydrating Mineral Veil Setting Powder (reg. price $27), $13.50 sale price
Free store pickup
Final Price: $13.50
Read more about Macy’s 10 Days of Glam beauty event here.
17. Macy’s Friends & Family Sale happens in April and October.
Every spring and fall Macy’s holds a Friends & Family sale and its open to everyone, even if you’re not related or friendly.
We typically see the spring Friends & Family sale start on a Friday at the end of April and run for around ten days. We expect the next spring sale to begin on Friday, April 22nd and run through Sunday, May 1.
The Friends & Family sale includes mark downs in every department, plus a promo code: FRIENDS to save an additional 10-30% on top of sale prices, including clearance prices. Additionally, we expect to see 15% off many beauty products and rare sales on designer lines. Save even more by earning free shipping on orders of $25 or more.
The next fall sale will begin in October.
18. And here’s more of Macy’s best storewide sales.
In addition to Macy’s beauty sale and Black Friday, here are a few other major sales events you definitely need to mark on your calendar.
Even though Macy’s stopped doing “free after rebate” doorbusters in 2020, Macy’s Black Friday in July is a must-shop event. That’s because we’ve routinely seen jewelry and small appliances on sale for 75 – 80% off. Like this T-fal 5-quart jumbo cooker (reg. $49.99) for $9.99 after rebate:
Buy 1 T-fal 5-Quart Jumbo Cooker (reg. $49.99) $19.99, sale price
Buy 1, submit for $10.00 mail-in rebate within 30 days of purchase
Free store pickup
Pay $19.99, submit for $10.00 mail-in rebate
Final Price: $9.99
And if you’re shopping for bras or lingerie, you need to hit Macy’s Semi-Annual Sale in January and July. We’ve seen Calvin Klein bras (like this one, reg. $48) for 30% off and Jockey bras (like this on, reg. $40) for 40% off.
These are the sale dates you need to keep track of:
- Macy’s Semi-Annual Sale: January and July — in 2021 we saw 50 – 70% off women’s accessories, 30 – 60% off bedding, and 25 – 50% off bras and lingerie.
- Macy’s Friends and Family Sale: April/May and October — 10% off furniture, mattresses, rugs, and small appliances; 25% off beauty items and fragrances; 25% off watches and luggage; 30% off clothing, lingerie, pajamas, shoes, and home items. All coupons apply to clearance items in each department.
- Macy’s Black Friday in July: July (duh) — 80% off cookware (with mail-in rebate), 50 – 75% off small appliances and vacuums, 80% off towels (reg. $14.99)
- Macy’s 10 Days of Glam Sale: Early summer and October — 25 – 50% savings on all beauty products
- Macy’s Black Friday sale: November — 85% savings on jewelry, 80% off cookware (with mail-in rebate), 50 – 75% off small appliances and vacuums, 80% off towels (reg. $14.99)
Check out our full breakdown of every store’s major sale.
19. ‘Bonus Buy’ jewelry is 85% off reg. price — that’s the best deal of Macy’s Black Friday.
For years, the best part of Macy’s Black Friday sale were the “free after rebate” doorbusters. But ever since 2020, they’ve stopped that promotion.
The good news is there are still killer deals if you know where to look. Macy’s “Bonus Buy” jewelry is the first place I check for Macy’s Black Friday deals, as they’re some of the best buys you can get during Macy’s Black Friday sale.
In 2020 they offered diamond earrings (reg. $200) for just $29.99 when you made any $25 purchase. That’s 85% savings! In 2021 they ran an identical deal, plus Macy’s slapped 85% discounts on other jewelry items, like these pearl earrings:
Buy 1 Belle de Mer Cultured Freshwater Pearls (reg. $32.50), $4.99 sale price
Final Price: $4.99 (85% savings)
Read about the key Macy’s Black Friday dates, strategies, and stock-up prices here.
20. Get free-gift promotions on Macy’s beauty products.
Macy’s cosmetics run free gift promotions throughout the year, often making Macy’s a better place to shop than, say, Sephora.
The real prize comes when multiple free gift promotions stack, like these beauties we’ve seen in the past:
- Free Clinique Makeup Duo with a $55 Clinique purchase
- Free Clinique Skincare Duo with a $75 Clinique purchase
- Free 4-Piece Mug Set with any $85 beauty purchase
- Free Travel Case when you buy a Clinique Sonic System Purifying Cleansing Brush
21. Macy’s return policy gives you 90 days to make most returns — no receipt necessary.
You can return “saleable” items (aka items that have not been altered) to Macy’s for up to 90 days. If you have a Macy’s account, you don’t even need your receipt — Macy’s can look up your past purchases with your email.
If you don’t have a Macy’s account, then you either need your Macy’s receipt or the original tags intact with your item.
Here are a few other good-to-knows:
- Area rugs must be returned within seven days.
- Apple products must be returned within 14 days.
- Dresses must be returned within 60 days.
- Mattresses must be returned within 120 days.
See the full list of Macy’s return exclusions here.
22. Macy’s exchange policy only lets you exchange items you bought in store.
Macy’s limits exchanges to in-store purchases — and you also have to make your exchanges in the store.
The process isn’t clear on the Macy’s website, but when I talked to Macy’s employees, they said the process is pretty similar to making a return. You need the original tags if you don’t have your receipt, and items should be gently used. The main difference? You only have 30 – 45 days to make an exchange.
23. Macy’s doesn’t do discounts for military, seniors, students, or first responders.
As of this writing, the only discount Macy’s provides is their employee discount.
If you’re a service member, here are 110 other military discounts you can get throughout the year.
24. Macy’s employee discount is good for 10 – 20% off clothing, cosmetics, and more.
The only discount Macy’s currently provides is their employee discount (known as Macy’s Colleague Discount). Per Macy’s website, it includes:
- 20% savings on clothing, accessories, furniture, and more cosmetics
- 10% savings on electrics and electronics
25. Skip the Macy’s credit card if you spend less than $1,200/year at Macy’s.
The Macy’s credit card didn’t make our list of the best store credit cards available, and here’s why:
Macy’s credit card only gives you 2% cashback on Macy’s purchases (compared to 5% cashback with the Target RedCard), and Macy’s offers their cardholders far fewer coupons than Kohl’s offers their cardholders.
To be fair, here are a couple high points to being a Macy’s credit cardholder:
- Discount on initial purchase: You’ll get 20% off your first purchase when you sign up for the Macy’s card and 20% off on your statement.
- Star Rewards: You’ll get savings passes or “Star Rewards” for spending at certain thresholds. Star Rewards range from a dollar-off reward to a percentage taken off an entire order.
- Macy’s cardholders: Get an extra 20% off coupon to use on top of sale and clearance prices during the One Day Sale.
If you spend $1,200 within one year of opening your card, Macy’s will make you a platinum member. That means in Year 2 as a Macy’s cardholder, you’ll get 5% cashback, and you’ll get free shipping every time you shop, no matter how much you spend.
Here’s our list of the best retailer credit cards.
26. Get free store credit when you open a Macy’s credit card and create a Macy’s wedding registry.
You can get paid to create a wedding registry at Macy’s.
That’s right — when you open a card and create a Macy’s Registry, you’ll get bonus cash back for every item your guests purchase, 5% reward dollars on every eligible gift you get.
You’ll also receive a 20% discount on most remaining items on your registry and a 10% discount on furniture, mattresses, or rugs for six months after your occasion!
27. Macy’s Star Rewards members have to spend $1,000 to earn $10.
Macy’s Star Rewards is Macy’s loyalty program, and if you’re not a Macy’s cardholder, then you’ll notice it works at a snail’s pace.
Macy’s Star Rewards members earn one point per dollar spent at Macy’s. Once you hit 1,000 points, then Macy’s will give you $10 in Macy’s Money (it’ll expire 30 days after it’s issued).
Although Macy’s will alert you to any Star Money Bonus Days during which you can earn bonus points, in my experience these bonus days are too few and far between to make much of a difference.
Compared to Kohl’s Rewards program, Macy’s has some catching up to do.
28. Save 1 – 4% on discounted Macy’s gift cards from Raise.com.
You won’t need a Macy’s credit card when you leverage this tip. Raise.com is a website that sells full-value gift cards at a slight discount. Discounts vary for each store, but for Macy’s, you should expect to see gift cards ranging from 1 – 4% off their regular price.
After you buy your gift card, Raise will email you a gift card code. From there, it works like a normal gift card — enjoy the savings!
Oh, and check out these other gift card hacks you should be using.
29. Use Paribus for help with Macy’s price adjustments up to 10 days after your purchase.
Macy’s gives shoppers a 10-day window to request a price adjustment if something you bought went on sale after your purchase. Fortunately, you don’t have to constantly monitor Macy’s prices if you download the free Paribus app.
Paribus will notify you if the price on an item you purchased from Macy’s drops, as well as simplify the price adjustment request process for you.
Read all about Paribus here.
30. Use cashback app rebates to save even more at Macy’s.
Sign up for TopCashBack, and download their free app to get a percentage back on every Macy’s purchase. During Black Friday they offered 10% cash back and exclusive promo codes for up to 25% off your purchase.
Ibotta rebates at Macy’s are nearly non-existent, but it’s still worth mentioning because there are a couple per year. If you download the app, simply load offers specific to the store you’re shopping, and then scan your receipt or shop online through Ibotta. Once you earn at least $20, you can cash out via PayPal or Venmo!
Check out Ibotta’s Macy’s page a few times a year to keep tabs on Ibotta rebates.
If you have any questions about saving at Macy’s, drop ’em in the comments below! Thanks for reading.