If you shop at Kohl’s on a monthly basis, then there’s a good argument to be made that you’d save big if you signed up for the Kohl’s credit card, officially known as the Kohl’s Charge card.
I know, I know, the name’s confusing — charge cards and credit cards are two completely different things. But here’s what I do understand: Kohl’s credit cardholders receive 15%, 20%, and 30% off coupons each month and can potentially earn free shipping on Every. Single. Kohl’s Purchase. That’s worth exploring.
Of course, if you don’t pay your balance in full each month, you’ll be smacked with 25% APR (!!!) on top of your remaining balance. But I’m here to walk you through how Kohl’s Charge works, if it’s right for you, and how to game it for the very best savings.
1. Sign up for a Kohl’s Charge card and get 35% off your first purchase.
While a coupon for Kohl’s Charge card customers is not rare, a coupon worth more than 30% off IS unusual, even for cardholders. Take advantage while you can and enter the offer code Kohl’s sends you after filling out your Kohl’s credit card application.
You’ll get a confirmation within 60 seconds, so you’ll be able to start shopping with the card right away — but only on Kohl’s purchases. Unlike credit cards from other retailers like Gap or some airlines, Kohl’s Charge is only usable at their store.
PRO TIP: You can apply for the Kohl’s Charge card in store and shop the same day using a photo ID, or submit your application online and wait for your card to arrive in the mail.
2. Kohl’s credit cardholders receive 15%, 20%, and 30% off coupons each month.
Only consider the Kohl’s Charge card if you shop Kohl’s at least once a month. That’s because regular shoppers will make the most out of the best Kohl’s Charge perk: a regular gift of one 15%, 20%, and 30% off coupon during monthly cardholder events.
I know, I know. Everybody gets coupons all year long from Kohl’s. However, Kohl’s customers rarely see coupons in the mail for more than 20% off.
Kohl’s Charge cardholders, though, will receive an email each month alerting them to Kohl’s monthly exclusive event. These events usually last 10 days, and it’s during these promotions that Kohl’s cardholders get to use their monthly coupons.
PRO TIP: Forgot to bring your mailer coupon from home? No problem. If you’re a cardholder, just let the cashier know, and you’ll get to try your luck at a scratch-it coupon! They’re worth 15%, 20%, or 30% off and are available in store for the same dates as the online coupon codes found on your home mailer.
3. Stack Kohl’s credit card coupons with clearance prices for at least 70% savings.
One of the best Kohl’s shopping strategies is to take advantage of those Kohl’s cardholder event coupons, and stack them with clearance prices (which run all year long).
Kohl’s doesn’t stick to a set schedule for marking down clearance items, but most start at 40 – 50% off regular prices. Kohl’s continues to drop prices by 5% every few weeks an item doesn’t sell, so it’s rare to see something 80% off on its own — unless you have that 30% off coupon Kohl’s Charge holders receive each month.
We recently saw a set of The Big One 12-piece bath towels marked 60% off on clearance, but cardholders were able to boost their savings to 71%:
Buy 1 The Big One 12-Piece Bath Towel Set (reg. $54.99), $22.99 clearance price
Cardholders, use unique coupon code for 30% off
Free curbside pickup
Final Price: $16.09
The one drawback to this strategy is its limitation: Kohl’s percent-off coupons come with a fairly large list of exclusions, including top brands like Nike and Under Armour.
4. Calculate your Kohl’s cardholder coupons according to this order.
Regardless of the order in which you input your coupon codes or present your coupons in store, this is how they’ll be calculated in the Kohl’s system:
- Department-specific, dollar-off coupons ($5 off a $20 fragrance purchase).
- Percent-off, Kohl’s coupon codes (15% off women’s beauty purchase) will be applied to qualifying items.
- Dollar-off coupons (Kohl’s Cash first, then Kohl’s accepts sitewide coupons like $10 off an entire purchase of $50 or more) will be subtracted from your subtotal.
- Only one sitewide, percent-off coupon (15% off an entire purchase) will be applied.
- Free shipping code will be applied if you’re spending at least $75 after all other discounts.
5. Don’t ever miss your Kohl’s credit card payments — Kohl’s charges 25% interest.
Only buy what you can reasonably pay off in the same month. Seriously. Kohl’s charges their cardholders a monthly interest of 25% unless you pay your Kohl’s Charge balance off completely.
Kohl’s Charge holders have several ways to pay:
- Pay in store via check, cash, debit card, or money order. If you pay with a check, you’ll want to pay early — Kohl’s may place a hold on your payment to ensure it’s processed by your bank.
- Make free online payments by visiting this link. You’ll need to register an account for your first payment (just enter your 12-digit credit card number), but from then on you’ll sign in and handle your bill normally.
- Pay your bill through the Kohl’s App. You’ll need to sign in to your Kohl’s account, tap the “Kohl’s Charge” icon near the top of your screen, and from there you’ll enter a payment portal similar to paying online.
- Pay over the phone; you’ll need your debit card or your bank routing and account numbers. Simply call 855-564-5748 and follow the prompts.
6. Spend $600 on your Kohl’s credit card in one year to get free shipping.
On top of higher value coupons all year, if you’re a Kohl’s Card shopper and spend at least $600 on your card in a calendar year, congrats! You just earned the title of a Kohl’s Most Valued Customer (MVC).
For this fancy title, Kohl’s throws in exclusive free shipping codes with no minimum purchase on the regular.
And to keep you coming back, Kohl’s will send you extra mailer coupons plus a free birthday gift. For online shoppers, the free shipping codes stack with the 30% off codes as well as category codes, such as the $10 off a $50 home purchase.
7. Kohl’s credit cardholders don’t need a receipt to make returns.
This is a perk when paying with any card at Kohl’s, but if you also forget your Kohl’s Charge card when returning an item (which I’ve done), use your photo ID to pull up your account.
You’ll have your return processed as if you’d brought in your receipt. Easy peasy!
8. Replace your Kohl’s credit card with your phone by using Kohl’s Pay.
Kinda like Apple Pay, Kohl’s Pay allows Kohl’s Charge holders to charge their credit card from their phone. Pretty cool, right?
You just need the Kohl’s app and to link your Kohl’s credit card to your Kohl’s account; then you’ll get the QR code that basically replaces the swipe of your credit card. Watch the how-to video to set up Kohl’s Pay. If you’d rather do Apple Pay, no problem! Simply link your Kohl’s credit card to your Apple Pay account and you’ll be good to go.
9. Never pay an annual fee with the Kohl’s credit card.
This means if you are able to pay your monthly balance in full each month, then you’re basically just earning free coupons and rewards on money you would’ve spent there anyway.
Any questions about the Kohl’s credit card? Let me know in the comments below, and I’ll get back to you. Thanks for reading!