We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
It’s no surprise that bargain retailer Ross Dress For Less has great finds. But when top brands get marked down to just $0.49 — oh, it’s on. You’ll usually see these prices at Ross stores in December and January. Unofficially known as the “Ross 49 Cent Sale,” it’s the best time to hunt for those hot pink “reduced” stickers at Ross and score some truly unbelievable deals. You can seriously buy clothes and shoes for less than fifty cents during the Ross clearance sale.
One thing to note: Not all Ross stores participate in the $0.49 clearance event. From what we hear, these markdowns don’t happen at all in Ohio. We also know that different stores mark down items at different times, and some locations will have more $0.49 items than others. So, YES, these price tags are worth hunting for, but they aren’t guaranteed. So keep that in mind as you shop through December and January!
Ross doesn’t promote the event since it’s not a traditional sale, so be ready to pounce if you see these deals at your local store!
- Download The Krazy Coupon Lady app, and we’ll let you know as soon as the best Ross deals drop.
- Check out our full list of Ross shopping hacks to save throughout the year.
In the meantime, here’s everything we’ve learned about the $0.49 items at Ross:
1. The $0.49 Ross clearance doesn’t happen at every store, and if it does, it’s different at every location.
Our shoppers have mixed feelings about whether or not the $0.49 clearance at Ross is real. And to be honest, we’ve had some pretty hit-or-miss experiences ourselves.
To clear things up, we spoke directly with different Ross stores across the country to ask about the $0.49 event. Here’s what they said:
- Austin, TX: “Yes, the event does happen here. It really happens throughout the week since we’re marking down items Monday through Friday.” (they started markdowns on Dec. 26).
- Chicago, IL: “It does happen, but I don’t know when or what time it would be. Different things go down in price at different times. Some shirts are going down to $0.49 now (Dec. 27, 2022), but other markdowns will happen later.”
- Colombus, OH: “I know it happens at Ross stores in other areas, but it doesn’t happen at Ross stores in Ohio since there are only a few locations. In other areas, they’ll start marking down items to $0.49 at the end of January, but you won’t find those markdowns at Ross stores in Ohio.”
- East Windsor, NJ: “No, I mean, we started marking down items on Dec. 26, but there’s no actual $0.49 sale.”
- Orlando, FL: “The event happens at every store in our area, but it hasn’t started yet. I want to say it will start at the beginning of February.”
- Philadelphia, PA: “Yes, it happens, but we don’t know what’s going to be marked down until we get the file. Not everything in the store will be $0.49, but it will happen on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, like right after the New Year.”
- Raleigh, NC: “Yes, it happens, but I think it happens after the New Year, like the first week of January.”
- Tallahassee, FL: “It happens around January, but I don’t know the exact date.”
2. The $0.49 Ross clearance typically starts in late December and runs through January.
Each Ross store has a different schedule, and the sale dates tend to change each year. Some $0.49 markdowns start at the end of December, but most happen in January. Some shoppers on Tik Tok said their Ross stores had markdowns starting on Jan. 9, 2023. Others said, yes, markdowns will start, but not the $0.49 ones. You’ll have to stop by Ross later in the month to see those markdowns hit $0.49.
But according to a 2022 Ross investor news release, the company’s official “year-end” will happen on Jan. 28, 2023. So we think that’s when you’ll see some of the best $0.49 clearance deals at Ross this time around.
Pop into Ross right after Christmas just to see if you can spot any $0.49 price tags. If not, head back at the beginning and end of January. It also doesn’t hurt to make friends with a Ross associate and ask what timing they predict for your store.
In-store Ross clearance deals we found in January:
3. Look for clearance items like sweaters, makeup items, gift sets, and children’s dresses for as low as $0.49.
Yes, it’s true. You’ll find clothing, holiday items, and kids’ stuff for as low as $0.49 during the Ross clearance event. Just look for those little hot pink tags to get the best clearance deals.
Here are some of the $0.49 items we’ve seen:
- Kids’ coloring books
- Baby dresses
- Magnetic lashes
- Art canvases
- Body butter
4. We found $1.99 items from Gap, Free People, and Steve Madden at Ross in January.
Lots of items go on sale for $1.99 (or less) during the Ross clearance sale. Items we found in this price range include women’s sweaters, baby sweaters, tops, and sunglasses.
5. Look for Nike clothes for $2.99 in the Ross clearance section.
If you’re still pinching yourself, you can stop now. Some of the most popular brands, like Nike and Under Armour, get deep discounts during the Ross clearance event. We also saw $1.99 Tommy Hilfiger baby sets and women’s Calvin Klein jeans for just $2.99 (at 96% off).
6. In January, look for shoes, purses, wallets, and sunglasses under $5.
In 2021 a former Ross employee of seven years turned to TikTok to share some little-known Ross clearance secrets. She said that around January each year, her entire Ross store was priced at $5 or less.
According to this former employee, shoes, purses, wallets, and sunglasses were under $5 at Ross — even items from brands like Michael Kors were priced that low.
Now, we can’t promise this is true for every Ross store out there, but it’s worth following up on for the chance to snag clearance deals this good.
7. Ross also has Kate Spade and other brand-name accessories for under $15.
We’ve seen top brands like Kate Spade, DKNY, and Betsey Johnson go on sale for up to 67% off. This Kate Spade hat and glove set was just $11.99 (regularly $24.99) on Dec. 27 last year.
8. Be the first in line at Ross — shelves clear out fast during the clearance event!
In fact, the shelves tend to be empty after the holidays. Jump on Ross clearance deals as soon as they start, or else all those $0.49 items will be gone.
Related: Want more great clearance deals? Check out our ultimate guide to retailer clearance markdowns.