Kohl’s Rewards program is the first thing I bring up when I’m talking to friends about saving money at Kohl’s. Here’s why: It’s the easiest way to earn coupons and, more importantly, Kohl’s Cash — a must-have for anyone who takes saving at Kohl’s seriously.
A little bit about Kohl’s Rewards:
- It’s a free loyalty program that earns you 5% cash back on all purchases.
- As soon as that cash back exceeds $5, Kohl’s sends you $5 in Kohl’s Cash (Kohl’s cashiers hand it to you in store, and online rewards show up in your email and Kohl’s Wallet).
- You can redeem the earned Kohl’s Cash as soon as the following month rolls around.
But Kohl’s Rewards is more than just Kohl’s Cash. Below I’ll walk you through exactly how to make the most out of your Kohl’s Rewards membership.
1. What is Kohl’s Rewards?
In 2020, Kohl’s updated their loyalty program, and Kohl’s Rewards replaced the former program, which was called Yes2You Rewards. If you were a member of Yes2You Rewards, then Kohl’s automatically switched your account over to the new program.
Like I said above, Kohl’s Rewards is a free loyalty program that offers 5% cash back in the form of Kohl’s Cash (think: $5 for every $100 you spend). That Kohl’s Cash will show up in your account on the first of the following month, and you’ll have 30 days to use it.
Every Kohl’s Rewards member also receives dollar-off and percent-off coupons each month. When I first signed up, I was only receiving two coupons every month or so, but after a few shopping trips I’ve started seeing up to four coupons in a single month.
2. How do I check my Kohl’s Rewards balance?
Keeping track of your Kohl’s Rewards is easiest through the Kohl’s app. All you have to do is open the app, sign in, and tap the wallet icon in the upper left-hand corner of your screen.
Your wallet shows you a bird’s-eye view of your account. Your Kohl’s Rewards ID number should be right underneath your name, and below that you’ll find a breakdown of your Kohl’s Rewards Balance, Kohl’s Cash, any existing offers, and any usable gift cards.
3. OK, slow down. What’s my Kohl’s Rewards ID number?
Every Kohl’s Rewards member has their own identification number. You’ll need it to link your Kohl’s Rewards account to whichever computer or laptop you shop with.
Also, Kohl’s associates can use this number to look up your account and any past order you made. It’s useful if you ever lose your Kohl’s Cash — they can look up your account and see if any of the Kohl’s Cash you earned has been used or not.
4. Is Rewards Kohl’s Cash the same as Kohl’s Cash earned during promotions?
Talk about making something needlessly complicated. Kohl’s applies two different sets of rules to Kohl’s Cash earned via Rewards and Kohl’s Cash earned through promotions. Here’s what you need to know:
Rewards members receive Kohl’s Cash in increments of $5 for every $100 they spend. Kohl’s sends these members their Kohl’s Cash on the first of the following month (after spending $100).
By contrast, Kohl’s Cash earned during a promotion is provided immediately after you check out. If you shopped in the store, you’ll get a physical Kohl’s Cash coupon. If you shopped online, it’ll show up in your email or your Kohl’s Wallet.
There’s another wrinkle: Kohl’s Cash earned through Rewards will expire 30 days after it’s activated. Promotional Kohl’s Cash will expire after its redemption window closes. Although Kohl’s will accept the latter up to seven days after it expires, Rewards Kohl’s Cash won’t be accepted after it expires.
PRO TIP: If you receive your Kohl’s Cash in person, remember that Rewards Kohl’s Cash is blue, and promotional Kohl’s Cash is green.
5. Besides Kohl’s Cash and coupons, what else do I get as a Rewards member?
Don’t forget to include your birthday when you sign up for Kohl’s Rewards. Kohl’s will send you a birthday gift — mine was $10 off. By the way, you can set your birthday as whatever day you want. I said mine was in November so I could combine my gift with Kohl’s Black Friday purchases.
Sometimes Kohl’s will offer limited-time promos. It’s usually something like 20% off for folks who sign up for an account, but don’t worry too much if you miss it. Heck, I missed that promo but still got similar coupons within a few weeks of signing up.
6. What happens to my Kohl’s Rewards if I return a purchase?
Although it was a little different in the past, now, returning your Kohl’s purchase means losing any rewards you earned with the purchase. Since everything is controlled through your app and online, Kohl’s just goes in on their end and adjusts your reward amount.
7. Can I stack coupons with my Kohl’s Rewards?
Definitely do this. Kohl’s lets shoppers stack up to four coupons in a single transaction. Unfortunately, they’ll apply Kohl’s Cash (both blue and green) before applying your percent-off or dollar-off coupons.
If you’re wondering, here’s how Kohl’s discounts are applied:
- Department-specific, dollar-off coupons ($5 off a $20 fragrance purchase).
- Percent-off, Kohl’s coupon codes (15% off women’s beauty purchase) will be applied to qualifying items.
- Dollar-off coupons (like Kohl’s Cash first, then Kohl’s accepts sitewide coupons like $10 off an entire purchase of $50 or more) will be subtracted from your subtotal.
- Only one sitewide, percent-off coupon (15% off an entire purchase) will be applied.
- Free shipping code will be applied if you’re spending at least $75 after all other discounts.
8. Is it true that if you don’t use your Kohl’s Rewards account, you’ll lose it?
Don’t expect to ghost Kohl’s for a year and get away with it. If your account’s unused for 12 months, they’ll go ahead and cancel it.
If that happens, any Kohl’s Rewards you accumulated may be deactivated or invalidated, and you’ll need to re-register your account before you can start building up rewards again.
Any other questions? Let me know in the comments below. Thanks for reading!