Are you new to the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program and are looking for local WIC stores? You probably know most grocery stores accept WIC, but did you know some national retailers like Target and Walmart also accept it? Thankfully, federal and local governments are making it easier to shop with a WIC card. I’m here to break down which national stores accept WIC and what you need to know about each store’s checkout process.
Download the KCL app for money-saving tips, deals, and coupons.
1. Download the WICShopper app to locate WIC stores.
The WICShopper app supports several state WIC programs. With the app, you can find local WIC stores and scan items while in store to see if they’re WIC eligible and track your benefits. If you live in a “verification only” state, you can only scan items to see if they’re eligible; the app won’t keep track and display your benefits.
Here are the states where you can use the WICShopper app:
- DC (Verification only)
- Louisiana (Verification only)
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- North Dakota
- Pennsylvania (Verification Only)
- Rhode Island (Verification Only)
- Vermont (Verification only)
- West Virginia
2. Download a state app to locate WIC stores.
If you live in a state not listed above, you can download a state WIC app to help find your local WIC stores.
- Arizona (Android) (Apple)
- Arkansas (Android) (Apple)
- Delaware (Android) (Apple)
- Georgia (no app available)
- Illinois (no app available)
- Minnesota (Android) (Apple)
- Mississippi (Android) (Apple)
- New Mexico (no app available)
- New York (Android) (Apple)
- North Carolina (Android) (Apple)
- South Carolina (no app available)
- South Dakota
- Virginia (no app available)
3. Does CVS accept WIC?
Yes, all CVS stores accept WIC. But, WIC eligible items have to be rung up separately from non-eligible items. Here’s why: the cashier has to scan each WIC item through a special WIC scanner to see what funds you have available and the number of items you can buy. Then the items are scanned through their regular scanner.
4. Does Walmart accept WIC?
Yes, Walmart accepts WIC payments at all locations through their regular checkout line. Although they’re upgrading their equipment so you can use your WIC card through self-checkout at all locations, it’s still limited. You don’t have to separate your items during checkout. Pay with WIC first, then your other form of payment.
5. Does Dollar General accept WIC?
No, Dollar General doesn’t accept WIC at this time.
6. Does Walgreens accept WIC?
Yes, you can use your WIC card at all Walgreens locations. You don’t need to do separate transactions — just pay with your WIC card/check/voucher first, then your other form of payment.
7. Does ALDI accept WIC?
No, ALDI doesn’t accept WIC because they don’t carry the national brand of formula required by WIC that would qualify them for the program.
8. Does Target accept WIC?
Yes, you can use your WIC card at Target stores nationwide. Check out at a register with a cashier — no self-checkout. You don’t need to separate your items; just pay with WIC first.
WIC Stores FAQs
1. Can I order WIC grocery delivery?
No. WIC can’t be used for grocery delivery.
2. Can I use my WIC card to shop online or over the phone for in-store or curbside pickup?
Yes, as long as you enter your WIC card PIN when you pick up your groceries to finish your transaction. You can’t use your WIC card for checkout online.
3. Can I charge my pickup fees to my WIC card?
No. Any pickup fees are separate and have to be paid using a different payment method.