We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
An official REI Black Friday sale hasn’t happened since before 2015, when REI surprised everyone by announcing their employees would not only get Thanksgiving Day off, they’d get Black Friday off, too. And in 2022, REI made these days off permanent. That’s right, there will NEVER be REI Black Friday sales again.
And yet, I’ll show you how it’s possible to get great REI Black Friday types of deals almost the entire month of November, starting with the Gear Up and Get Out Sale on Nov. 11. With deals so good, you won’t even miss the Black Friday sale.
Want to get real-time text alerts when Black Friday deals go live at your favorite stores? Text BLACKFRIDAY to 57299.
1. Why doesn’t REI Black Friday exist?
Instead of having a traditional REI Black Friday sale with special deals that run only on Black Friday, the retailer promotes #OptOutside, encouraging people to get outdoors and hike, bike, or camp, or do whatever the weather allows. But even though there’s no REI Black Friday sale, that doesn’t mean they don’t do a November sale. More on that next.
Will REI be open on Thanksgiving 2022?
No. REI gives their employees time off for both Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday.
What time does REI open on Black Friday?
REI stores are totally closed on Black Friday. Expect them to open on Saturday morning for regular business hours.
2. Shop REI’s Gear Up and Get Out Sale in November for savings up to 70%.
The Gear Up and Get Out sale every November is a long one — I’m talking 11 days — and this year it happened Nov. 11 – 21, 2022. The deals on apparel, baselayers, camping gear, and cycling accessories are definitely worth getting excited about every year.
This REI November sale is always member-centric, with special savings just for members of the REI Co-op. For this year’s sale, REI Co-op members got 20% off one full-price item and 20% off one REI Outlet item with promo code GEARUP22.
Best deals from the Gear Up and Get Out Sale in 2022:
Here were some of the best deals from the 2022 ad you could shop Nov. 11- 21:
- 70% off REI Co-op Take Your Time Collection Clearance (orig. $29.95 – $69.95)
- 50% off all Nalgene water bottles (reg. $7.95 – $18.95)
- 40% off REI Co-op Magma 850 Down Hoodie (reg. $219)
- 30% off all REI Co-op Brand Clothing
- 25% off Smartwool clothing & accessories (reg. $13 – $200)
- 25% off select Obermeyer snow jackets & pants for women and kids (reg. $139.95 – $399)
- 25% off Stanley IceFlow Straw Tumblers & Jugs (reg. $26 – $52)
- 20% off select 2023 REI adventure travel trips — must book Nov. 11 – 21, 2022
- $100 off select GPS watch brands like Garmin (reg. $700 – $1,000)
3. If you miss Black Friday, hit REI Cyber Monday from Nov. 26 – Dec. 4.
In 2021, REI Cyber Monday deals began the Saturday before Cyber Monday. Yes, that’s the day after Black Friday. So while REI Black Friday sales may not be a thing, you can see that REI is still in the Black Friday game to some degree. The deals during REI Cyber Monday 2021 were an echo of what we saw during the Gear Up and Get Out sale earlier in November.
This year, I predict we’ll see a repeat of this Cyber Monday sale beginning Saturday, Nov. 26, and continuing through Sunday, Dec. 4. Here’s what we saw in 2021:
- 40% off select clothing, especially winter gear like jackets, leggings, sweaters
- 25% off camping and outdoor gear, like Hydro Flask, BioLite FirePit+, Garmin, and select skis
4. Members get an extra 25% off one REI Outlet item during REI Cyber Monday.
In addition to getting steeper discounts during the Gear Up and Get Outside sale, an REI membership will get you deeper discounts during the REI Cyber Monday sale, too. At least one for sure.
During the first two days of REI’s Cyber Monday sale, members can get a single REI Outlet item for an additional 25% off with a promo code. Last year, it was MEMCYBER.
An REI membership is a one-time payment of $30, and it’ll earn you 10% back on your purchases all year long in the form of an REI dividend that you spend like a gift card.
Related: Learn more about how to find REI discounts.
5. Create your own REI Black Friday discount by stacking dividends on Cyber Monday.
OK, it’s not technically an REI Black Friday sale if you’re not shopping on Friday, but hey, the deal you create will be so hot that it’ll feel Black Friday-worthy. Here’s how to do it: When you get your annual REI dividends in March, save them to shop during the Gear Up and Get Out sale and REI Cyber Monday. This way, you’ll get the store markdown, plus the 10% you’ve earned on purchases all year.
This is a great time to pull the trigger on large purchases, like tents or gear for skiing or backpacking.
6. If you’re not spending more than $50, opt for free in-store pickup.
REI offers free shipping on orders of $50 or more, and let’s face it, you’ll probably reach that threshold even if you find a good deal. Outdoor gear isn’t cheap! But if it turns out you aren’t going to spend that much, select free in-store pickup to save on shipping fees.