Deciding where to shop
On the surface, all five of these auto parts stores resemble one another. For instance, each one has an email list. Each one offers free shipping on orders of $75+. Each one posts their current store circular packed full of specials and deals.
Tips to choose:
- Location: If one chain's store is closer to you, try them first!
- Repair needs: If you also need help with installation or repairs, you’ll want to visit Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, or NAPA Auto Parts (Auto Zone and O'Reilly don't offer service beyond very basic installation like windshield wipers).
- Deals: One chain may be offering a better deal or rebate.
- Rewards: It may not make sense to sign up for all five rewards programs—rather, pick one and accumulate the points to get your free gift card.
Example: compare & choose
Another good way to decide where to shop (especially if all five stores are nearby to your location) is to go online first to compare deals and pricing for the part you need. Here’s an example using windshield wiper blades for my 2005 Toyota Rav 4.
Example: Part needed is a Bosch ICON driver side/passenger side wiper blade set.
- AutoZone: $23.49-driver side / $20.99-passenger side. Free in-store installation offered.
- O'Reilly Auto Parts: $23.99-driver side / $19.99-passenger side. No free in-store installation offered.
- Pep Boys: $23.99-driver side / $21.99-passenger side. Buy two Bosch ICON wiper blades and get $6 off. Free in-store installation offered.
- Advance Auto Parts: $22.99-driver side / $19.99-passenger side. Free in-store installation offered.
- NAPA Auto Parts: Doesn't offer the parts I need.
MY CHOICE? Pep Boys – I get $6 off and free in-store installation! Score!
5 Awesome auto parts discount stores
Each of these stores is quite similar – which, of course, is because they are all directly competing with each other for YOUR business. Make them earn it!
1. Auto Zone
Auto Zone is big where I live. I visit them regularly for replacement parts (wiper blades, filters). Not only is it easy to find what I need, but every time I go in, the store staff has been totally willing to install whatever I've just bought on the spot—for free. Technically, however, Auto Zone doesn't offer repairs in-house—but they will help you find a local shop to do your repairs.
- Website: https://www.autozone.com
- Email: Sign up on the home page (scroll to the bottom).
- Rewards: The Auto Zone Rewards program is simple. Just make five purchases of $20+ each and get a free $20 reward.
- Rebates: View all available manufacturer rebates here: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/inourstores/rebates.jsp
- In-Store ads: Ads are updated weekly here: https://www.autozone.com/autozone/inourstores/circular.jsp
- Deals & savings: All specials are listed here: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/deals/?footer=true&showDeal=true
2. O'Reilly Auto Parts
O'Reilly Auto Parts is a nationwide chain of parts franchises. Like Auto Zone, they have manuals for most vehicle make and models in-store or online so you can find exactly what your car requires. O'Reilly doesn't offer repairs in-house, but will help you find a qualified local repair shop.
- Website: http://www.oreillyauto.com
- Email: Sign up on the home page (top or bottom).
- Rewards: The O'Rewards Program offers you points for shopping and referring friends who shop. 1 point = $1, and when you earn 150 points a $5 coupon is issued to you.
- Rebates: Find all the current rebates that are offered: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/rebatecenter.oap
- In-Store ads: Ads are updated weekly here: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/currentad/get.oap
- Clearance specials: If you want to nab deep discounts, the clearance page is the place to go! http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/clearance.oap
3. Pep Boys
Pep Boys is yet another nationwide chain of parts franchises. Pep Boys also offers a service department to help with repairs and installation.
- Website: http://www.pepboys.com
- Email: Get coupons and deals, plus enter to win a $100 Pep Boys gift card, just by signing up http://www.pepboys.com/email_signup/.
- Rewards: Pep Boys Rewards offers you 50 points when you sign up, then once you earn 200 points, you get a $10 gift card. You can accrue up to 2,000 points ($100 gift card).
- Rebates: Pep Boys has its own rebates program, and also offers manufacturer rebates.
- In-Store ads: Store ads are always posted here: http://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials/
- Sales: Sale items are always posted here: http://www.pepboys.com/sale/
- Clearance specials: Get deep discounts on last-call items: http://www.pepboys.com/clearance/
4. Advance Auto Parts
Advance Auto Parts is also nationwide and offers both parts and services (including a number of cost-saving free services, plus free oil recycling).
- Website: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/home
- Email: Sign up on the home page (right at the top).
- Rebates: Find all the current rebates offers here: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/rebates
- Refer a friend: The Tell A Pal program gives you $10 when you refer a friend who makes a purchase (the friend gets a $30 discount on their first order).
- Free services: Advance Auto Parts has a menu of free services, such as free installation when you purchase a battery. View them here: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/battery-winter-preparation
- In-Store ads: The weekly flyer will always be displayed here: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/aap-flyer
5. NAPA Auto Parts
NAPA Auto Parts is nationwide and in addition to discounted parts, they have 6,000+ service locations. You can also chat with an auto care expert online. If you are in the auto business, they have a ProRewards program for you.
- Website: http://www.napaonline.com
- Email: Use the pop-up menu or enter your email on the home page (bottom left corner).
- NAPA Rewards: The NAPA Rewards program is simple—shop and earn points. 1 point = $1, and when you earn 150 points a $5 coupon is issued to you.
- AAA membership savings: If you are a AAA member, you get 10% off all orders.
- Rebates: You can find rebates, submit for rebates, and track your pending rebates here: http://www.naparebates.com
- Specials: Click on any ad you see on the home page to be taken to the monthly specials page.