You can accomplish a lot of things in 44 days—you could complete almost one-and-a-half cycles of the 30 Day Shred workout video, witness the miracle of life happen for that frisky, acorn-eating Ms. Squirrely who lives in your backyard (the gestation period for squirrels is a mere 45 days long), or complete an online, 6-week taxidermy course (but please spare Ms. Squirrely and her little one!) But there is one thing you must accomplish in the next 44 days—prepare and file your tax returns! That's right, the April 15th tax filing deadline is just 44 days away—that's only a little over 6 weeks from today. Don't freak out—and there's really no need to throw yourself a pity party or, for that matter, a tea party (reminiscent of Revolutionary War Boston).
TurboTax and H&R Block can help you prepare and e-file your tax returns—they'll even guarantee your taxes are done right and that you get your maximum tax refund as quickly as possible! Best of all, you can prepare and e-file your simple federal tax return through either service for FREE! Both Turbo Tax and H&R Block are recognizable leaders in the tax preparation industry and both have quality reputations. Be sure to check out both programs and then select the one that best meets your needs.
- Click Here.
- Click on the blue "Start for Free" button located on the left side of your screen.
- Click on the blue "Create Your Account" button to sign up for an account. No credit card is required! Or, you can click on the blue "Try It First" button if you want to check out the program before committing to creating an account.
- After you create your account, start entering your tax information. TurboTax uses the same encryption techniques as banks to protect your sensitive information and the integrity of your tax return.
- When working with the TurboTax program to prepare your tax return, you may get a little lost and need some help (hey, nothing to be ashamed of—even Albert Einstein considered incomes taxes the hardest thing in the world to understand.) If you need help, simply look to the right side of your screen for free online support.
- If you have a complicated tax return (i.e. you're self-employed, own multiple properties or rental properties, have stocks, bonds, or other investments, or have a large number of deductions) you may be prompted to upgrade from the free version to the Deluxe version which costs $29.95 or the Premier version which costs $49.95.
- Turbo Tax can also file your state taxes if you choose—it costs $27.95 per state if you have a simple tax return or $36.95 per state if you have a more complicated tax return.
- Click Here.
- To sign up for a free account, enter your email, username, password, and security password in the designated boxes and then click on the orange "Start Now" button. No credit card is required!
- Like TurboTax, H&R Block uses advanced technology and bank-level encryption security to keep your sensitive information and your tax return safe.
- If you need assistance when entering your tax information into the system, look to the right side of your screen for free online support.
- The free edition of H&R Block is only for individuals filing a simple, federal tax return.
- If you have a more complicated federal tax return, you may be prompted to upgrade to the $29.95 Deluxe edition or the $49.95 Premium edition. The Deluxe edition is indicated for individuals who are homeowners or have investments such as stocks and bonds; the Premium edition is indicated for self-employed individuals and rental property owners.
- H&R Block can also file your state taxes if you choose—it costs $27.95 per state if you have a simple tax return or $34.95 per state if you have a more complicated tax return.