You may not be able to give them that coveted pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but you can definitely treat your kids to these fun and delectable St. Patty’s Day treats! The best thing? They each cost under $5 to make!
1. Peppermint Muddy Buddies
5 1/2 cups Rice Chex cereal – $1.49
8 oz chocolate bark – $1.94
1 – 1.55 oz milk chocolate bar – $0.58
1 tsp peppermint extract – $0.04
1 cup powdered sugar – $0.43
1/2 cup mint M&M's candies – $0.50
1. Measure cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolates together for one minute. Stir and continue melting in 30 second intervals until smooth (about 2 minutes). Stir in peppermint extract. Pour chocolate mixture over cereal and gently stir until coated evenly.
3. Measure powdered sugar into a gallon-sized Ziploc bag. Spoon in chocolate cereal mixture. Seal bag and shake until cereal is evenly coated with powdered sugar. Pour onto a large piece of wax paper and allow chocolate to set (about 20 minutes). Combine candies with Muddy Buddies mix and store in an airtight container.
Yields: 5 1/2 cups
Total Cost: $4.98
2. Rainbow Cupcakes
1 white cake mix – $0.98
16 cupcake liners – $0.45
Food coloring (red, blue, green, yellow) – $2.12
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make cake batter according to package directions, then divide evenly into six bowls (about 1 cup of batter per bowl).
2. Dye each bowl of batter a different color:
red – 18 drops
blue – 12 drops
purple – 9 red drops, 6 blue drops
yellow – 12 drops
orange – 12 yellow drops, 4 red drops
green – 12 drops
3. Starting with the purple batter, spread about 1 tablespoon onto the bottom of each cupcake liner—using the back of a spoon to spread evenly. Repeat this step with the blue, green, yellow, orange and red batter. Layer colors evenly, using a spoon to cover the color underneath completely.
4. Bake cupcakes according to cake mix directions. Cool completely before frosting (optional). Before serving, remove cupcake liner so rainbow is visible.
Yields: 16 cupcakes
Total Cost: $3.55
3. Shamrock Treats
30 white chocolate covered pretzels – $2.00
10 green M&Ms – $0.50
10 Hersey's Kisses – $0.75
10 pretzel sticks – $0.50
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Arrange 3 white chocolate pretzels into the shape of a shamrock on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
3. Place Hershey's Kiss in the center of the pretzels.
4. Place carefully in the oven and bake for 4 minutes.
5. Take out of oven and place your M&M in the center of the Hersey's Kiss.
6. Place pretzel stick underneath the kiss to form your stem.
For best results place your creation in the fridge for 15 minutes to allow it to set.
Yields: 10 Shamrocks
Total Cost: $3.75
Tip: These also turn out great with plain pretzels instead of the white chocolate ones if you are looking to save a little money or just don't enjoy white chocolate!