These heavenly cookies take a little extra work, but when you taste them, you’ll understand that they’re well worth the effort! The cinnamon and sugar mixed with melted caramel make these baked delights irresistible.
2 1/2 cups flour – $0.23
1 tsp baking soda – $0.01
2 tsp cream of tartar – $0.18
1/2 tsp cinnamon – $0.05
1/2 tsp sea salt – $0.01
1 cup butter, sliced – $0.96
1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar – $0.45
1/2 cup white sugar – $0.15
1 large egg – $0.11
1 egg yolk – $0.11
1 Tbsp vanilla extract – $0.09
1 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt – $0.05
10 caramels, cut into fourths – $0.79
For rolling the cookies in:
1/2 cup granulated sugar – $0.15
2 tsp cinnamon – $0.18
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
2. Heat a thick-bottomed skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced butter, whisking frequently. Once the butter melts it will foam and then subside. Watch carefully as lightly browned specks form at the bottom of the pan. The butter should have a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and place on a cool surface. Let it cool to room temperature.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown butter and the sugars. Mix until blended and smooth. Beat in egg, egg yolk, vanilla and yogurt until combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Form the dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or overnight).
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into balls, using about 2 tablespoons per ball. Flatten balls with the palm of your hand and place a piece of caramel in the center of the dough. Wrap cookie dough around the caramel, making sure caramel is completely covered with dough.
6. In the small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Roll each ball in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place balls on a large baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Leave about 2 inches between each cookie. Sprinkle the tops with sea salt and bake for 8 -10 minutes or until light brown. Cool cookies before eating.
Yield: 36 cookies
Total Cost: $3.52