1. ipiit, the Food Ambassador
As an app, ipiit is not just for folks who need a gluten-free diet. The customization options are extensive, from nut to dairy allergies and beyond.
- Database includes 210,000 common grocery items.
- By scanning item barcodes in-store, you instantly know whether it has gluten or not.
- For off-limit items, the app gives you a list of alternate items that are safe to buy.
- The alternate items list includes brand names, so you can have your coupons ready.
- You want to buy Barilla brand angel hair pasta ($2.56 at Walmart).
- You use ipiit to scan the barcode and find out if this brand contains gluten.
- The app lists another brand that is gluten-free (Hodgson Mill, $2.64 at Walmart).
- You scan your coupon list and find any available coupons you can use.
- You sign up for Hodgson Mills’ newsletter to get gf coupons by email.
This free app (for iPhone and iPad) features 25 different menu guides for a variety of special diets (from gf to diabetic, dairy free to vegetarian).
- The app includes 200,000+ recipes.
- Just speak or type the ingredient(s) (for instance, “chicken” and “spaghetti”) or scan the barcode label and the app pulls up many recipes you can make with whatever you have.
- The app states it can save your family $600+ per year in food waste just by teaching you to creatively combine whatever you have in the fridge.
- You have chicken, spaghetti, and tomatoes in your fridge and the kiddos are hungry. Speak or type the ingredients into the app, and it will instantly deliver a list of recipes that conform to your set dietary preferences!
3. Gluten Free Shopping Scanner (for iOS) / Scan Gluten Free (for Android)
- Get GFSS for iTunes ($0.99)
- Get SGF for Android (free)
- Visit the website: http://glutenfreeshoppingscanner.com / http://scanglutenfree.com/eula/
These apps just couldn’t be easier—and with the sheer number of items in the database, you can shop anywhere and find the information you need to make safe choices.
- 650,000+ products in each app’s database categorized by name, brand, and description.
- Bar code scanner makes it easy to shop quickly.
- Alert system is super-easy, using green for “safe” and red for “not safe.”
- Both of these apps are all about food safety, and they hone in on gluten (rather than addressing other food allergy concerns as well).
4. Vitacost.com Mobile (for iOS, Android)
- Get it for iTunes (free)
- Get it for Android (free)
- Visit the website: http://www.vitacost.com/mobile?csrc=mobi:ft
If you prefer to shop online for gluten-free ingredients, Vitacost.com is one of the most highly rated apps in the gluten-free community because of the sheer number of gf products the company sells.
- 45,000+ products to conform to a variety of dietary and health needs.
- Discounts, deals, promos, and coupons include “buy one, get one half-off,” “save XX%,” “buy one, get one free,” “spend $XX and get an item free,” and more.
- Daily savings range from 10-50%.
- Deal is: “Spend $25 on Kind and get two free Kind bars.”
- You can buy a box of 12 Kind bars on Amazon.com for $17.99
- On Vitacost.com, the same box, same flavor, is $17.99 (Vitacost price matches with Amazon) BUT you also get two free Kind bars with a $25 Kind order (a $3.98 value).
Bonus: Want $10 to spend on gluten-free products right now? Sign up for Vitacost.com’s free e-newsletter and get a $10 credit to spend on anything on the site. Refer a friend and get another $10 (oh, and your friend gets $10 too!).