- 12 cups old fashioned oats (6 cups blended) – $1.69
- 1-2 cups brown sugar (can add more or less depending on preference) – $0.45
- 1 cup coffee creamer – $0.51
- 2 teaspoons salt – $0.02
- The secret to making oatmeal “instant,” allowing it to cook quickly and have a creamy texture like premade packets, is to blend about half of your oats and turn them into powder. Blend 6 cups of oats in your blender until they turn to powder.
- Stir together oats, blended oats, brown sugar, coffee creamer and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Measure out 1/3 cup and put in individual snack size bags, or store in large airtight container.
- When preparing oatmeal, mix 1/3 cup oatmeal with 1/3 cup water or milk and cook in microwave on high for 1 minute (microwave cooking times may vary).
- This oatmeal is delicious on its own, or you can add your favorite toppings: fresh or dried fruit, a little drizzle of syrup, a pinch of cinnamon, nuts, etc.
Makes 36 servings
Total cost: $2.67 per batch or $0.07 per serving