Skip the takeout and try this healthier version of sesame chicken. It’s quick, simple and quite delicious!
Slow Cooker Honey-Garlic Chicken
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts – $3.90
1/2 cup honey – $1.49
1/2 cup soy sauce – $0.89
1/4 cup blackberry jam – $0.24
1/4 cup hoisin sauce – $0.17
2 Tbsp olive oil – $0.58
3 cloves garlic, minced – $0.12
1/2 cup onion, diced – $0.33
1 Tbsp cornstarch – $0.06
1/4 cup green onions, sliced – $0.12
2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted – $0.25
1. Place chicken breasts in crock pot.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together honey, soy sauce, blackberry jam, hoisin, olive oil, garlic and onion. Pour sauce over chicken and cook 4 to 5 hours on low or until chicken is fully cooked and pulls apart easily.
3. Remove chicken from crock pot (saving sauce for later) and set on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred chicken and place pieces in a large bowl.
4. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with 3 tablespoons cold water until combined.
5. Heat sauce from crock pot in a saucepan over medium heat. When sauce begins to boil, whisk in cornstarch mixture until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken, tossing to combine. Top chicken with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve over rice or noodles.
Total Cost: $8.15