I’ve been a committed vegetarian for many years, but I also spent some time as a vegan. To this day I really admire the discipline and dedication it takes to eat and live a vegan lifestyle.
These days, I’ve been noticing that some of the fashions I most admire most are labeled as “vegan clothing.” Gone are the days when vegan clothes were frumpy and functional—today’s vegan fashions can walk the red carpet with the best of them!
If you love vegan clothing but also aspire to save money on this year’s wardrobe, check out these cool ways to save on vegan threads!
What is vegan clothing?
This is a totally natural question to ask—with terms like “eco-friendly,” “sustainable,” “vegetarian,” “recycled” and “vegan” all circulating closely, how can you tell vegan clothing apart from the rest?
- Vegan clothing incorporates 0% animal parts or products.
- It’s free from silk, leather, fur, hide, wool, or other by-products.
- It’s also sustainable and eco-friendly, but it doesn’t always apply the other way around (for example, not all sustainable clothing is also vegan).
Why dress vegan?
There are many reasons to wear vegan clothing—regardless of whether you follow a vegan diet or not.
- Vegan clothing is made from sustainable materials (cotton, hemp, soy, bamboo) so it’s durable, high quality and long lasting.
- It’s cruelty-free—meaning no insect, animal, child or adult laborer suffered to make it for you.
- Vegan clothing is just as fashion-forward as non-vegan styles, and often comparable in price.
- Vegan clothing is also fair trade and/or made in the U.S.A. (a bonus!).
6 Ways to dress vegan on a budget
If you’re just beginning to transition to an all-vegan closet, you may need to shop gradually and carefully for the pieces you really want. These six resources should help get you up and running at reasonable prices. Plus—your clothes, shoes and accessories will be built to last!
Ecolissa is an online boutique with frequent sales and discounted or free shipping offers. Their clothes are cute, trendy and priced reasonably.
- Get $5 shipping on any order: http://www.ecolissa.com
- Sign up for the e-newsletter: Ecolissa e-news
- Shop the sales page: http://www.ecolissa.com/SALE_s/112.htm
- Shop the $19.99 sales page: http://www.ecolissa.com/category_s/183.htm
- More sales on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ecolissa/app_211311762253380
Mooshoes offers a super cute vegan footwear alternative with sale and clearance prices in the Payless arena (aka $19.99 and under).
- Sale and clearance items: http://www.mooshoes.com/sales-and-clearance.html#/page/1
- Find discount alerts on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mooshoes
- Register for the email newsletter: http://www.mooshoes.com
Etsy is becoming the official home of up-and-coming aspiring designers with a message and a mission. Even a casual search on “vegan clothing” brings up page after page of affordable fashions—bathing suits, t-shirts, accessories and even wedding shoes!
- Check out Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=vegan%20clothing
Okabashi carries fabulous shoes and sandals at low prices, plus they have lots of discounts and sales!
- Okabashi: http://www.okabashi.com/
- Subscribe to the e-newsletter (on their homepage) and get an instant 15% off.
- Shop the sales page: http://www.okabashi.com/Sale/b/2373820011?ie=UTF8&title=Sale
- Free shipping on any order over $45.
5. Alternative Outfitters
This vegan boutique has clothes, coats and shoes for everyone in the family.
- Join the email list for discounts: http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com
- Shop the sale/clearance page: http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com/collections/on-sale
- Free shipping for orders over $25.
Amazingly, Amazon delivers yet again, with a full selection of vegan clothing, shoes and accessories. You may have to do a few searches to find all the different vegan items, but there are plenty! Many of them are even eligible for Prime free shipping.
- Visit Amazon’s vegan collection: http://www.amazon.com/s?page=1&rh=n:7141123011,k:vegan
Other stores that carry vegan lines
While it may take a bit more hunting, these stores are known for carrying certain designers that adhere to vegan clothing, shoes and accessories standards.
- Steve Madden
- Forever 21
- Free People
- TJ Maxx
- Urban Outfitters
- Nine West
- Old Navy