Going to the beach is supposed to be relaxing, even with kids…right? Yes! Stop dreading all the sand and start looking forward to your seaside family vacation. Use these brilliant beach hacks that are perfect for parents.
1. Keeping sand out with a fitted sheet is my favorite beach hack.
This fitted sheet beach hack is one of the the best ways to keep sand out of your bags.
2. Freeze aloe vera gel in ice cube trays for extra cooling when you’re sunburned.
Store pre-made cubes in a Ziploc storage bag so they’re ready to go.
Need more storage bags? Don’t forget to use a free Ziploc coupon!
3. Use this sled beach hack to pull all the supplies you need across the sand.
This is one of my favorite beach tips! The last thing you want to do after a day in the sun is walk back and forth from car to picnic spot. Use a sled instead!
4. Get sand off your skin with baby powder.
The baby powder will absorb any excess moisture — aka sand glue — from your skin.
Need more baby powder? We’ve got baby deals galore!
5. Entertain the youngest kids at the beach with their own kiddie pool.
Via Baton Rouge Moms
Parents love this beach hack because you can keep the kiddos cool without worrying about salt or waves.
6. Lie on a yoga mat instead of a beach towel for waterproof cushioning.
Since yoga mats are waterproof, you won’t have to worry about lying on a damp towel.
Prefer beach towels? We’ve got towel deals for days.
7. Stay cool at the beach with a DIY sponge lei.
Cut up sponges and use a large sewing needle to string them onto stretchy cord. Soak the sponges in water, and your kids will stay cool while playing on the shore!
8. Keep kids entertained by making easy sand candles.
Dig a hole in the sand, tie a candle wick onto a stick that’s larger than the hole, then pour melted candle wax in it. Allow the wax to set for a few hours before digging up your candle, and voila! Your kids will be amazed with this easy beach hack!
Get more directions here.
9. Keep things in your cooler cold with frozen sponges.
Freeze a sponge and stick it in a Ziploc bag to keep moisture contained.
10. Use King’s Hawaiian Rolls to easily pack a utensil-free lunch for a crowd.
Family vacation lunches just got so much easier!
Get your snack on with these food coupons and deals.
11. Carry beach toys in a mesh bag so you don’t bring sand home with you.
Head to your local dollar store to score one of these babies.
12. Use plaster of Paris to help kids make a sandy handprint keepsake.
Take a zip bag full of plaster of Paris with you to the beach ($10 for 1 lb on Amazon), and fill your kids’ handprints and footprints in the sand with plaster for a cute keepsake.
Get more directions here.
13. Create a mini pool with an old shower curtain liner.
That’s not all you can do with a shower curtain liner — check out these easy, Earth-friendly ways to reuse a shower curtain liner.
14. Hide valuables in an empty sunscreen bottle.
Via Barefoot Wine
Need more sunscreen? Use a free sunscreen coupon on top of a sale price!
(Hint: You should never pay more than $5 for sunscreen. Learn how to shop smarter with our Beginner’s Guide to Couponing.)
15. Stay cool with this beach hack — spritz your body with green tea!
Steep 1-2 bags of green tea in cold water and transfer to a spray bottle. Keep the spray bottle in your cooler until you’re ready for more sprays. The antioxidants in green tea will help your skin and keep you cool.
16. Give yourself a temporary tattoo with sunscreen.
My teenage kids love this beach hack!
17. Use a permanent marker to remind yourself when to reapply sunscreen.
Never pay more than $5 for sunscreen, folks. Use these sunscreen deals to save!