Summertime means multiple camping trips for my family. I love spending time together out in the wild, but I really dislike cooking without convenient kitchen appliances. Luckily, there are ways to enjoy campfire cooking. These camping hacks may just change your mind about roughing it!
1. Spoon chili and toppings over Fritos and eat right from the bag!
Let’s be real here—sometimes all you want to eat while camping is junk food! Make a big pot of chili prior to your trip and freeze in Ziploc bags. Then, just pop open a bag of Fritos, add some chili and toppings and indulge!
2. Premix pancake ingredients in a Ziploc bag, store in a cooler, then snip a corner off to dispense when the griddle is ready.
Prepackaged foods are exactly the way they sound—you’re just spending money for the packaging! Eat well when you’re roughing it by thoughtfully preparing ahead of time and storing smartly.
3. Wrap your dogs in buttery crescent roll dough and cook over flames.
Save regular hot dogs for the 4th of July! These are way more fun to cook and you don’t have to worry about hot dog buns getting smashed en route to your campsite.
Related: 9 Clever Duct Tape Camping Hacks
4. Cut down on cleanup time by baking cinnamon rolls in an orange.
Washing a pan with cooked-on egg bits…ain’t nobody got time for that (especially when camping)! Try doing this for breakfast instead.
5. Stuff and grill bananas with marshmallows, chocolate chips, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Update a classic by making banana s’mores with Cinnamon Toast Crunch instead of graham crackers.
6. Roll up pizza dough and toppings, wrap in foil, and throw your pizza log on a grill or fire pit.
Who says you can’t enjoy pizza when camping?! Freeze your pizza log before camping, let it almost completely thaw in your cooler, then cook over your campfire for about 12 minutes.
7. Enjoy fondue in the forest by wrapping Brie in heavy-duty foil and heating it over a fire.
Um, this is way too delicious…and I refuse to wait until my next camping trip to make it again! I’m going to go ahead and dip some crusty bread into this at home tonight!