We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
There’s been another frozen fruit recall. due to potential contamination, and it’s a lot bigger than the Trader Joe’s frozen fruit recall that happened earlier this year.
If you bought frozen fruit at Walmart, Whole Foods, Target, Aldi, AWG, and yes, Trader Joe’s, you’re gonna want to check your freezer. The U.S. Food & Drug Administration has announced that SunOpta Inc’s group, Sunrise Growers Inc., has recalled some of their frozen fruit products.
The company thinks these fruits might have something called Listeria monocytogenes — bacteria that can cause a serious illness called listeriosis. Although nobody has reported getting sick from the fruits yet, you’re gonna want to avoid eating these products.
Here’s what you need to know about the latest food recall:
Frozen fruit products sold in more than 30 states at six major retailers have been recalled.
If you’ve bought frozen fruit at Walmart, Whole Foods, Target, Aldi, Trader Joe’s, and Associated Wholesale Grocers (AWG) in the past year, you’ll want to listen up.
Look in your freezer for these products, which were sold at different times from October 2022 to June 2023 in different parts of the U.S. (You’ll want to check the FDA’s long list of lot codes to make sure your product is indeed recalled.)
Walmart – 82,234 cases
- Products: Great Value Mixed Fruit, Great Value Dark Sweet Cherries, and Great Value Mango Chunks.
- States: AR, AZ, CA, CO, DC, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NM, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, SD, TX, UT, VA, WV, and WY.
- Distribution Dates: January 19, 2023 to June 13, 2023
- Best By Dates (on packaging): Between Dec. 16, 2024, and March 30, 2025.
Whole Foods – 76,462 cases
- Products: 365 Organic Tropical Fruit Medley, 365 Organic Pineapple Chunks, 365 Pineapple Chunks, 365 Organic Whole Strawberries, 365 Organic Slice Strawberries and Bananas, and 365 Organic Blackberries.
- States: Nationwide, to select stores.
- Distribution Dates: November 1, 2022 to June 21, 2023
- Best By Dates (on packaging): Between Oct. 11, 2023, and April 26, 2025
Trader Joe’s – 2,588 cases
- Products: Trader Joe’s Organic Tropical Fruit Blend.
- States: AK, AL, CT, CO, DE, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, TN, TX, VA, VT, WI, and Washington DC.
- Distribution Dates: March 28, 2023 to April 11, 2023
- Best By Dates (on packaging): Between Jan. 30, 2024, and Feb. 3, 2024
Target – 26,141 cases
- Products: Good & Gather Organic Cherries and Berries Fruit Blend, Good & Gather Dark Sweet Whole Pitted Cherries, Good & Gather Mango Strawberry Blend, Good & Gather Mixed Fruit Blend, Good & Gather Mango Chunks, Good & Gather Blueberries, and Good & Gather Triple Berry Blend.
- States: Nationwide.
- Distribution Dates: October 14, 2022 to May 22, 2023
- Best By Dates (on packaging): Between Oct. 13, 2023, and March 30, 2025
Aldi – 38,909 cases
- Products: Season’s Choice Tropical Blend.
- States: AL, AR, CT, FL, GA, IA, KS, KY, MA, MD, MI, MO, MS, NC, NE, NH, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, and WV.
- Distribution Dates: Oct. 11, 2022 to May 22, 2023
- Best By Dates (on packaging): Between Oct. 3, 2024, and Feb. 1, 2025
AWG (Associated Wholesale Grocers) – 1,088 cases
- Product: Best Choice Pitted Red Tart Cherries Unsweetened.
States: KS, MO, NE, and OK.
- Distribution Dates: April 5, 2023 to May 4, 2023
- Best By Dates (on packaging): March 29, 2025
Return the recalled frozen fruit to the store to get a full refund — even without a receipt.
If you have one of the affected frozen fruit products involved in the recall, return you can return it to the store where you bought it for a full refund.
The Sunrise Growers recall doesn’t specify a requirement for a receipt, so feel free to just bring the product to the store, and you’ll get a refund. But if you have any questions, you can contact Sunrise Growers via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (1-888-490-5591, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific on weekdays).