My two-year-old fur babies and I have one thing in common — we both dislike the groomer.
I don’t like the cost, and my dogs freak out whenever they go.
Fortunately, there’s a way out of this headache.
Here’s how you can make your own:
1. Mix baking soda, cornstarch, and lavender essential oil in a large container.
Here’s what you’ll need for the dry shampoo:
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3-5 drops lavender essential oil
- a dog brush
- a towel
- dog treats
- an empty bulk spice container or a plastic storage bowl and lid you can poke holes in
Make sure the container to hold the ingredients is clean and doesn’t have any lingering smells in it.
Poke a few holes in the container’s plastic lid to create a makeshift shaker top. You’ll need it later.
2. Thoroughly brush your dog for a smooth coat.
Remove any clumps of matted fur, snarls, and dead hair with your dog’s regular grooming brush or an old hairbrush.
3. Sprinkle a healthy amount of dry shampoo all over your pooch.
4. Work the shampoo through your dog’s coat with your fingers.
Let your DIY dog shampoo sit for about five minutes, giving the baking soda and cornstarch time to soak up the oils and odors from his or her skin and fur.
5. Brush out the bulk of dry shampoo from your dog’s fur.
6. Rub down your dog’s coat with an old towel.
Your dog is going to want to shake off the dry shampoo — totally fine — and a towel will just about get the rest of it.
7. Blow dry any remaining dry shampoo from your dog’s coat.
Blow drying your dog’s coat will remove excess dry shampoo. Just be sure to set your dryer to the warm or cool temperature setting (not hot).
8. Enjoy your dog’s shinier, flea-free coat and better skin.
Not only does lavender oil make your dog smell fresh, it also protects your dog from fleas.
This DIY flea shampoo for dogs also is perfect for a pet suffering from dry skin or one that just plain hates traditional baths.
If your dog is resistant to this type of bath as well, simply give him a regular supply of treats to help smoothen the process.