I love having a science lab in my own kitchen! I don't really understand the physics of what’s happening when each of those balls bounces, but it sure is fun to experiment with the kids. This project was one that they loved: homemade bouncy balls! All of us were amazed at how—in just a few minutes—a handful of simple ingredients combined can make a well-loved toy. Try this one out with your kids—they’ll love it!
- 1 Tbsp borax (found in the laundry section in most stores)
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp white school glue
- Few drops of food coloring
- Dissolve the borax in ½ cup of warm water.
- Stir together the glue and cornstarch until thoroughly combined.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the glue and cornstarch mixture and stir it in well.
- Pour glue mixture into water.
- After about 30 seconds, it will start to harden.
- Pull it out of the water, squish it up, and begin rolling it between your hands to form a ball. It will set as you work with it.
- If your mixture is too sticky, plop it back in the water for a few seconds, and then start rolling again.
- These balls really do bounce! However, as they sit, they can flatten—just roll them up again to get them back in shape!
For money-saving tips, check out: