Getting your house organized when it comes to school supplies is essential, especially with all the at-home learning going on these days. Follow these 17 tips to make your life, and your kids’ lives, a little easier when it comes to school, homeschool, homework, and keeping those supplies in check.
Need more school supplies? Bookmark KCL’s back to school deals page for discounts on everything you need — from backpacks and apparel to pencils and notebooks!
1. Transform a dish rack into a file and school supplies organizer.
A dish rack as a school supplies organizer?! Brilliant! You can get one of these babies for cheap at Dollar Tree.
2. Store paper clips, rubber bands, and erasers in an old spice rack.
Psst…if you don’t have any containers to repurpose, then you’ll find stellar back-to-school organization solutions on our storage deals page.
3. Organize school supplies in repurposed food tins and hang them up on a wall.
Glue hanger plates to the back of the tins, or use magnets for an easy project.
4. Or, leave the tins on a desk painted and decorated with washi tape.
Sometimes cheap school supplies are pretty boring as far as designs go. Add a little personalization with washi tape! Use colorful washi tape on pencils, dividers, paper clips, and more. See the best washi tape organization ideas here.
5. Hang homework and important papers from clothespins.
Hot glue tacks or magnets to the back of clothespins and hang school paperwork, making it easy for kids to grab and go in the morning. Leave notes like your child’s name or a message for the day.
6. Turn jars into school supplies organizers with chalkboard labels.
Or, use chalkboard paint on the jars.
7. Decorate shoeboxes and house notebooks inside.
Get all the notebooks you need — see KCL’s stationery deals.
8. Chalk paint a filing cabinet.
Label each drawer on the front, and keep a weekly calendar on the side.
9. Transform a tackle box into a school supplies organizer.
When homework is done, cleanup is a cinch, and no one is ever complaining they can’t find what they need.
10. Fill a bath caddy with school supplies to create easy access during homework time.
11. File school papers in a bin.
When the school year is over, sort through all the papers in your homework bin. Decide what to keep, scrapbook, or recycle.
12. Or, organize your kids’ papers with binder clips.
Clearly label the binder clips and be specific like when papers are due, what papers need to be signed or reviewed. Hang them from nails near your organization station so homework is ready to go.
13. Use a muffin tin as a school supplies organizer.
14. Or, reuse cleaned out K-Cups.
Instead of tossing K-Cups, use them to help you organize school supplies! But wait, there’s more — check out these ways to reuse Keurig K-Cups.
15. Separate school supplies with drawer dividers and box tops.
Have you ever thought of using shoebox lids to keep school supplies organized?! Genius.
16. Fill a hanging shoe organizer with school supplies.
While you’re at it, label the pockets.
Hanging shoe organizers are about to become your new BFF…check out these insanely smart ways to use a shoe organizer.
17. Establish a command center for backpacks, books, and assignments.
Having everything in one place is a good solution to getting the kids out the door and on the bus, on time.