If you’re looking to cut back on toxins in your home, but you’re nervous about the price tags of some of the green cleaning products you’ll need in order to do it, you’re in the right spot.
Here’s a quick list of 9 top green cleaning products and our best tips to save money on them.
1. Buy Better Life All-Purpose Cleaner at Bed Bath & Beyond (instead of Amazon).
When you buy Better Life All-Purpose Cleaner at Bed Bath and Beyond, you can use your 20%-off coupon on top of the already-lower-than-Amazon price.
Better Life All-Purpose Cleaner
2. Walmart has the best price on Simple Green cleaners.
In previous years, we’ve seen high-value Simple Green manufacturer coupons for $1.50/1 during March, just in time for spring cleaning. But we didn’t see them in 2020 or 2021.
Regardless of the availability of manufacturer coupons, Walmart tends to have the lowest everyday price (in general) — $2.97 for 32 fl oz!
If you find Simple Green for less than $1.00 per bottle, stock up; savings can be rare.
Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner
3. Load up on Seventh Generation laundry detergent and cleaners at Target.
Target periodically offers gift card deals on household cleaning supplies. Look for a promotion like “Free $15 Target Gift Card with house essentials purchase of $50 or more.”
Plus, when this gift card deal is current, you can often find Circle offers to stack with it. We’ve seen Seventh Generation coupons good for $1.50/1 laundry detergent and $1.00/1 all-purpose cleaner.
Pay with a Target REDcard and add another 5% savings on top of it all.
Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent
4. Buy Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Soap from Whole Foods.
Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Soap, 16 fl oz
- Whole Foods: $7.55 (free pickup and free delivery on orders of $35.00+)
- Walmart: $9.97
- Rite Aid: $9.99 (free shipping on orders over $34.99 or $5.99 shipping fee)
- Amazon: $16.99 (free shipping with Prime)
5. Buy Mrs. Meyer’s cleaning products at Target (but keep an eye out at Walgreens).
But for the best everyday price, Target’s the winner, especially when you take another 5% off by using your RedCard. And Target Circle offers (like a 15% discount in April 2021) sweeten the deal even more.
Mrs. Meyer’s Dish Soap, 16 oz
6. Walmart has the best bulk price for Bon Ami powder (instead of Amazon).
Bon Ami coupons are extremely rare, so focus instead on price-per-ounce comparisons between a few stores. You can save up to $0.03/oz. on Bon Ami powder cleanser when you buy it in bulk on Walmart.
Bon Ami powder cleanser, 6-pack of 14 oz bottles
7. Amazon has the best price by far on Earth Friendly Orange Plus Cleaner Spray.
It’s almost half the price per oz as the Walmart everyday price.
Earth Friendly Orange Plus Cleaner Spray
8. Green Works All-Purpose Cleaner is the cheapest at Staples.
Don’t count out the office supply stores! Like Whole Foods, sometimes they’ll surprise you.
Green Works All-Purpose Cleaner, 64 fl oz
9. Go old fashioned and combine vinegar and baking soda.
It’s no secret that if you’re looking for green cleaning products, you’d save the most money by mixing your own.
In fact, you’d get a lot of mileage out of a half gallon of white vinegar from Walmart ($1.92) and a box of Arm and Hammer baking soda ($2.48). When using Good & Gather Target Brand, keep an eye out for additional 15% off Target Circle Deals.
If you hate the smell, try throwing in a dash of citrus-scented essential oil.