In celebration of the 20th anniversary of the movie Elf, the American Red Cross is offering a free pair of Buddy the Elf socks for blood donations. Great movie, great cause!
Since August, when the national blood supply dropped 25%, the American Red Cross has encouraged people to donate blood in creative ways. In October, it was a $15 Amazon gift card, this month, the American Red Cross is offering a pair of Elf socks (through November 30, 2023).
Here are the details on this special Red Cross Blood Drive and how you can donate.
American Red Cross celebrates Buddy for a good cause.
This month, the American Red Cross is celebrating the feel-good movie Elf by giving donors a free pair of Buddy the Elf socks as a thank-you for donating blood through the end of the month.
How to get a free pair of Elf socks for your blood donation.
To receive a free pair of Elf socks, you need to donate blood, platelets, or plasma before the promotion ends on Nov. 30, 2023. You can schedule your appointment at any one of the over 200 Red Cross locations across the country.
Can you get more than one pair of Elf socks?
Although you can only get one free pair of Elf socks for donating during the promotional period, the American Red Cross does offer additional incentives to those who are returning donors. After donating, you’ll receive your Amazon gift card via email. Instructions on redeeming your gift card will arrive in your inbox 30 days after you donate.
Related: Check out all the free stuff you can grab right now.
How to qualify for the Red Cross Blood donation drive.
In most states, you must be 17 or older to donate blood through the American Red Cross. However, some states allow donors as young as 16 (with their parent’s permission). Other requirements include the following:
- You must weigh at least 110 pounds
- You must be in good health and feeling well
- You can only donate every 56 days, up to six times a year
Visit the Red Cross website for further eligibility requirements for blood, platelet, and plasma donation.
How long does the donation take?
The donation itself only takes about eight to 10 minutes. However, the entire process can take about an hour from arrival to when you leave. Here’s what you can expect:
- Registration: Includes providing information like your name, address, and phone number. You’ll also need to present your driver’s license, donor card (previous donors), or two other forms of ID.
- Health and Mini Physical: You’ll answer some health questions and have your blood pressure and pulse checked.
- Donation: You’ll sit or lie down while you’re donating.
- Refreshments: After donating, you’ll receive a snack and drink. You can leave in about 10 – 15 minutes.
To learn more about the American Red Cross and Amazon Blood Drive promotion or schedule your donation, visit RedCrossBlood.org or download the Blood Donor app.
Save time and complete your RapidPass before you head to the donation center. It’ll take you about 10 – 15 minutes to complete.
- Read the pre-donation material
- Answer health history questions
- Bring your completed RapidPass with you when you go to donate (print, download, or email to yourself).
Download the Blood Donor app
If you want to help save lives beyond this urgent need, you can download the American Red Cross Blood Donor app to find local blood drives and donation centers. You can also schedule/manage donation appointments, complete your RapidPass, track your mini physical results, and follow every step of along your donation’s journey as it makes its way to helping hospitalized patients.