Drugstore makeup may be cheap, but it gets the job done in unexpectedly awesome ways. You just gotta know how to work it to your advantage! Use these drugstore makeup hacks to keep your mascara, colors and cover-up lasting longer.
Psst! If you’re looking for inexpensive makeup, we gotchu — check out these makeup deals and coupons!
1. Mix drugstore foundation with moisturizer to make your own BB cream.
Mix an SPF hydrating face moisturizer with your favorite foundation (I like to do ¼ moisturizer to ¾ foundation). I also like to add a bit of a face illuminator to give my skin a summer glow.
2. Save your favorite mascara wand to use with cheaper drugstore mascara.
If you spend $20.00 on mascara and save the wand, you can then use it on a $5.00 mascara with a similar look.
3. Reset broken powder makeup with rubbing alcohol.
An easy way to fix this instead of buying a new one is to carefully break up the powder even more, add in a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol, and press into its original shape.
4. Use lipstick as blush and eyeshadow.
NOTE: For best application, apply the lipstick to the back of your hand and use your fingers to blend it into your cheeks. This will help control the amount applied for a flawless look.
5. Buy foundation at drugstores that allow returns and exchanges.
For example, CVS has a very forgiving makeup return policy. If you buy a foundation and it turns out to be the wrong color, just bring it back in with your receipt and ID and get a full refund.
Shop all the CVS deals on KCL now.
6. Use tape to perfect winged eyeliner.
Looking for a sharp cat-eye look? Use tape to set a straight line to follow with your eyeliner pen or brush.
7. Use white or nude colored eyeliner on your bottom waterline to make you look more awake.
Not only does it make you appear more awake, but it makes your eyes look bigger!
8. Add eyedrops to your drugstore mascara to get the clumps out.
9. Use a lighter to turn a drugstore pencil liner into a gel.
Make sure to let the pencil cool down before applying it.
10. Try on makeup at Walgreens for free.
You can’t take samples home, but if you have your eye on something, you can test out their makeup before you buy it. Most Walgreens have testers in the makeup area, but a beauty location will have someone to help you test out any makeup.
Shop all the Walgreens deals on KCL now.
11. Wet your makeup brush to make drugstore eyeshadow go on more pigmented.
Some drugstore eyeshadows just aren’t very pigmented. A great way to get better color from an okay shadow is to wet your brush before applying it.
12. Use a spoon to keep mascara off your eyelids.
Hold the inside of the spoon right above your eyelash line to guard your eyelids from mascara smudges.
13. Heat up your eyelash curler with a blow dryer to make the curl last.
Just as you iron your hair to get curls, use heat to make your eyelashes curl too.
14. Add a drop of peppermint oil to your drugstore lip gloss to plump your lips.
Peppermint naturally stimulates circulation under your lips and creates a plumping effect.
15. Use white eyeliner as an eyeshadow base to make colors pop.
16. Use baby powder or translucent powder in between mascara layers for fuller lashes.
17. Get drugstore lipstick to last longer with a tissue and loose powder.
18. Use petroleum jelly as a highlighter.
Rub a little Vaseline on your cheekbones, cupid’s bow, nose, collar bone or anywhere else you want a bit of a highlight.
19. Cut open plastic foundation tubes to get more product.