Here are the directions for the Mummy Pops from our Budget Halloween Party. To learn where to find the best deal on all supplies needed for this bargain party, read more about our $50 Party Challenge and recreate this party for yourself!
MUMMY POPS [cost $6.19]
Double Stuff Oreo Type Cookies
Bag of White Chocolate Melts
10 Sets of Googly Eyes
Wilton's Ribbon Tip, optional
10 Lollipop Sticks
- Place a piece of parchment paper (or use your Silpat) on the cookie sheet. Set aside.
- Take your bag of white chocolate melts and place them in a microwavable safe measuring cup of at least a 4 cup capacity. You can also do this in batches if you have a smaller container. Microwave the chocolate in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Make sure to stir in between so that you don't burn the chocolate.
- Take 10 Oreo type cookies and open them up. Take a lollipop stick and dip the end of it into your melted chocolate and gently press into the crème side of the cookie. Take the other side of the cookie and gently press the two cookie sides together. Repeat this step on remaining cookies and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Once the cookies have cooled for a few minutes, take a pastry brush and brush off the excess crumbs. Believe me, this is an important step that many people will forget to tell you about until it's too late. As an expert in making Oreo pops, I have found that if you don't brush off the crumbs before you dip the cookie into the melted chocolate your pure white chocolate will now become white chocolate with black specks, thus destroying the perfect cookie you're looking to achieve.
- Take your cookie pop and dip into the melted chocolate. If you find your chocolate has hardened a little, just pop it back into the microwave for a bit to melt again. Tap off the excess chocolate on the side of the measuring cup, but be sure NOT to tap off too much or you'll start to see the cookie underneath. Place the covered cookie on the cookie sheet.
- Immediately place a pair of googly eyes on the covered cookie.
- Repeat steps until all of the cookies have been covered. Allow to dry completely.
- Rewarm the melted chocolate in the measuring cup and pour into a Ziploc or piping bag (optional). To achieve the same look in the picture, I used a piping bag and Wilton's ribbon tip, but you can easily use a Ziploc bag by just cutting off the tip of one corner. Krazy Tip: Use a glass to stand your Ziploc bag in to help stabilize it when pouring the melted chocolate in.
- Pipe or drizzle the melted chocolate all over the face of the cookie to achieve the look of strips of gauze and allow to completely dry.
- Once dry, take some floral foam and/or crumpled up newspaper and place inside a Halloween tin bucket that can be found in the Dollar Spot at Target. Cover the newspaper with your shredded tissue paper and arrange your pops however you like.
More Halloween Tutorials
This party was planned exclusively for KCL by Simply Chic Living.
Photographed by Profinish Design.