We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Check your local utility companies for free energy-saving products, often called Energy Conservation or Efficiency Kits. You may be able to get free light bulbs, power strips, faucet aerators, shower heads and more!
These programs are funded via a charge on your utility bills, so you've already paid for your "freebies." If you don't go online and sign up for your kit, then you won't get your stuff. In other words, your electric and/or gas company will not automatically send you your kit. These kits are typically one per household and are not income dependent.
Here are a few of the kits available:
- Ohio. FirstEnergy Energy. Conservation Kit Program. Get nine compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), a smart strip/surge protector, a furnace filter whistle and two LED night lights.
- Ohio, North Carolina, South Carolina and Kentucky. Duke Energy. Energy Efficiency Kit. Get a compact fluorescent light bulb, an energy efficient shower head, a night light, kitchen faucet aerator, bathroom faucet aerator, water flow meter bag, switch/outlet gasket insulators and more.
- California. Southern California Gas. Energy Efficiency Starter Kit. Get three faucet aerators and a low-flow shower head.
- California. San Diego Gas & Electric Company. Energy Efficiency Kit. Get three faucet aerators and a low-flow shower head.
- Illinois. Nicor Gas. Energy-Saving Kit. Get one massaging shower head, one dual-spray kitchen faucet aerator, two bathroom faucet aerators and one roll of plumber's tape.
- Washington. Cascade Natural Gas. Energy Savings Kit. Get up to two shower heads, two bath and kitchen aerators and Teflon tape.
- Indiana. Indiana Michigan Power. Online Energy Checkup. Get four compact fluorescent light bulbs and one LED bulb.
- Oregon. Portland General Electric, Pacific Power, NW Natural or Cascade Natural Gas. Energy Saver Kit. Get compact fluorescent light bulbs, shower heads and faucet aerators.
- Iowa. Spencer Municipal Utilities. Energy and Water Conservation Kit. Get a water heater blanket (electric water heaters only), pipe insulators, foam switch/outlet sealers, and an information kit, two shower heads, two bathroom faucet aerators and a kitchen faucet aerator. Pick up only.
- Virginia. Columbia Gas of Virginia. WarmWise Home Savings Evaluation. One kitchen faucet aerator, two bathroom faucet aerators and two high-efficiency shower heads.
- Virginia. Virginia Natural Gas. Online Energy Audit. Get one massaging shower head, one kitchen faucet aerator, one bathroom faucet aerator and one roll of plumber's tape.
Order yours today! Many of these offers expire 12/31/2013.
Know of a kit we missed? Post the details in the “comments” below so that all KCLs can take advantage of their freebies!