Impress your family by making these homemade breadsticks to go along with dinner tonight! This simple dough is foolproof. It can also be used to make pizza. Use this coupon to save: $0.40/1 Fleischmann’s strip or jar yeast from RP 12/2 (exp 3/30)
Breadstick and Pizza Dough
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 Tbls sugar
1 Tbls yeast
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 – 4 1/2 cups flour
1. In a large bowl combine water, sugar and yeast. Let sit for ten minutes until you see it become active (bubble).
2. Add the salt and mix. Next, pour 3 cups of flour into the mixture and combine. Add more flour until the dough begins to pull away from the bowl and barely sticks to your finger. The amount will differ for people living in different altitudes.
3. Cover and let the dough rise until it doubles in size. This should take 45 minutes to an hour.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out into a rectangular shape. If it sticks too much, simply add more flour.
5. Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray. Cut the dough into 12 even strips. Roll each piece out into a snake shape and then hold it over your forefinger and twist with your other hand. Once it’s all twisted, pinch ends together and lay on baking sheet. Repeat until each stick is formed.
6. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
7.Bake at 425 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until the breadsticks are light brown. Remove from oven and spread butter over top. If you would like extra flavor you can sprinkle the sticks with garlic salt, parmesan cheese, or cinnamon and sugar.