I ran a price comparison of over 200 food items at Costco and Amazon Subscribe & Save and was surprised to find Costco prices were lower by an average of 12% on over 170 items! I thought it would be a much closer race! Costco was the clear winner. But, while I feel justified in keeping my Costco membership, I did find some items that are cheaper (or smarter) buys on Amazon, which I didn’t expect.
Don’t forget, Costco charges a $60 annual membership fee, so their prices should be lower. Amazon Subscribe & Save items ship for free to anyone, even those without Amazon Prime memberships.
For money-saving tips, deals, and coupons download the KCL app.
IMPORTANT: For most of these items, the only way you can beat Costco prices is by subscribing to five or more items for auto-delivery. Here’s how it works: by agreeing to automatic reordering on five items, which can be as frequently as every two weeks to once every six months, you can save 15% off Amazon prices. There is no obligation to continue these subscriptions. You can cancel with one click as soon as the item ships. Plus, if you pay with an Amazon Rewards Visa card, you can save another 5% (with a Prime membership) or 3% (without a Prime membership) on top of your Subscribe & Save savings.
1. Score Amazon Mama Bear diapers for $7.84 a box less than Costco’s Kirkland diapers.
Parents know diapers are crazy expensive, especially when your baby is going through them faster than you can buy them. Good news, you can save yourself a trip to Costco and money by ordering through Amazon Family, which is Subscribe & Save for baby items. Prime members who use Amazon Family can save 20% off diapers, baby food, and other baby items.
- Costco Kirkland brand Size 1 diapers, 192 count, reg. price $29.99, or $0.16 per diaper
- Amazon brand Mama Bear Size 1 diapers, 196 count, $23.99 with Amazon Family Subscribe & Save, or $0.12 per diaper
2. Save almost $6 a box when you order Keurig Caribou coffee from Amazon Subscribe & Save.
At Costco, Keurig Caribou single-serve cups cost $0.43 apiece. I pay $0.36 per cup to have the K-Cups delivered to my office with Amazon Subscribe & Save.
- Keurig Caribou K-Cups, 100 count, Costco reg. price $42.99, or $0.43 per cup
- Keurig Caribou K-Cups, 96 count, $34.25 with Amazon Subscribe & Save, or $0.36 per cup
3. Order Kraft Easy Mac with Amazon Subscribe & Save for $0.27 less per serving.
Costco and Amazon both sell Kraft Easy Mac. Costco’s version comes in 2.05-ounce cups, whereas Amazon sells pouches that have a larger serving size and are $0.27 cheaper. I’m buying my Easy Mac on Amazon and having it delivered for free!
- Kraft Easy Mac Macaroni and Cheese Dinner, 12-2.05 ounce cups, Costco reg. price $8.99, or $ $0.75 per cup
- Kraft Easy Mac, 6-2.15 ounce pouches, $2.73 with Amazon Subscribe & Save:, or $0.48 per pouch
4. Stock up on Monster Energy drinks at Amazon for $0.22 less per can than at Costco.
Costco and Amazon sell the exact same sixteen-ounce Monster Energy drinks for the same price. However, you can save $5.28 a case buying them through Amazon Subscribe & Save.
- Monster Energy Drink, 24-16 ounce cans, Costco reg. price $33.99, or $1.42 per can
- Monster Energy Drink, 24-16 ounce cans, $28.88 with Amazon Subscribe & Save, or $1.20 per can
5. Feed your cravings with Nutella & Go from Amazon and save $0.13 a snack pack.
When it’s time to get your Nutella fix you can grab Nutella & Go snack packs at Costco for $13.99 for 16 packs. Or, you can shop Amazon and save $0.13 a snack pack with Amazon’s Subscribe & Save.
- Nutella & Go Snack Packs, 16-1.8 ounce packs, Costco reg. price $13.99, or $0.87 a pack
- Nutella & Go Snack Packs, 12-1.8 ounce packs, $8.86 with Amazon Subscribe & Save, or $0.74 a pack
6. Pick up Dove Beauty Bars for $0.10 less than Costco’s price per bar.
Never run out of your favorite Dove Beauty Bar when you order with Amazon Subscribe & Save, plus you’ll save $0.10 on each bar over Costco’s price.
- Dove Beauty Bar (White), 16-3.75 ounce bars, Costco reg. price $15.99, or $1 per bar
- Dove Beauty Bar (White), 20-3.75 ounce bars, $17.99 with Amazon Subscribe & Save, or $0.90 per bar
7. Grab Red Bull Energy Drinks $0.06 cheaper with Amazon Subscribe & Save.
You can get your cans of Red Bull $0.06 cheaper than at Costco when you order with Amazon Subscribe & Save.
- Red Bull Energy Drink, 24-8.4 ounce cans, Costco reg. price $32.99, or $1.37 a can
- Red Bull Energy Drink, 24-8.4 ounce cans, $31.34 with Amazon Subscribe & Save: $1.31 a can
8. Forget Costco, feed your cat Friskies for $0.06 less a can.
Make your cat happy with some Friskies and save $0.06 a can over Costco’s price when you Subscribe & Save with Amazon.
- Friskies Chicken & Seafood Variety Pack, 60-5.5 ounce cans, Costco reg. price $29.99, or $0.50 a can
- Friskies Chicken & Seafood Variety Pack, 40-5.5 ounce cans, $17.76 with Amazon Subscribe & Save, or $0.44 a can
9. Buy Frank’s RedHot Sauce on Amazon for $0.05 less an ounce than Costco’s price.
If you’re one that likes hot sauce on everything then ordering on Amazon for a nickel less than Costco will get you hooked. No need to subscribe or look for Amazon coupons (although those would make it even cheaper). The only catch, it comes in a gallon jug!
- Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, 2-25 ounce bottles, Costco reg. price $$6.99, or $0.14 an ounce
- Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, 1 gallon, $11.98 with Amazon Subscribe & Save, or $0.09 an ounce
10. Skip Costco and grab Cheez-It Original Crackers snack packs for $0.03 less a bag.
You can buy a 45-count box of Cheez-It crackers at Costco for $11.99 or buy a 40-count box at Amazon and save $0.03 a pack with Amazon’s Subscribe & Save.
- Cheez-It Original Crackers, 45-1.5 ounce packs, Costco reg. price $7.29, or $0.27 a pack
- Cheez-It Original Crackers, 40-1.0 ounce packs, $9.54 with Amazon Subscribe & Save, or $0.24 a pack
Don’t Scroll Up! Here are the articles I mentioned: