Did you know you can use Dawn Dish Soap for more than just washing dishes?! Here are 24 tips for using Dawn that will save you money and time!
Download the KCL app to find deals and coupons for Dawn dish soap.
1. Unclog a toilet with Dawn Dish Soap.
Wait really? Yes really! Pour a cup of dawn dish soap into the toilet bowl. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes. From waist high, pour a bucket of hot water into the bowl. Your toilet will unclog!
2. Use Dawn Dish Soap to pre-treat grease stains on clothing.
Get the stain out of your favorite shirt or pants by adding a dot of Dawn to the spot. Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Scrub the spot with a bit of water then throw it in the wash. The grease stain will be gone!
3. Defog and clean eyeglass lenses with Dawn.
Rub a drop of Dawn onto your eyeglass lenses. When wiped clean, it will leave behind a thin layer of film that’ll prevent your glasses from fogging up.
4. Use Dawn Dish Soap to make laundry detergent.
5. Kill aphids and bugs on plants with Dawn.
Mix Dawn and water in a spray bottle. Lightly spray it over your plants infested with pests. It won’t harm the plants, but it will kill the insects plaguing them.
6. Make your own hard water remover with lemon juice, Dawn and white vinegar.
Mix 1/4 cup of vinegar, dish soap and lemon juice in a spray bottle and shake it up. Use this cheap DIY hard water remover solution to remove hard water stains from glass and in your toilet. Get all the details here.
7. Freeze Dawn to make an ice pack.
Freeze a bag filled with Dawn Dish Soap. The soap won’t freeze solid but instead creates a great gel, perfect for icing any injury.
8. Deep clean your broom by soaking it in a bucket of warm water and Dawn Dish Soap.
9. Make a glass stove top sparkle with Dawn Dish Soap.
10. Keep your kids entertained with homemade giant bubbles made from Dawn.
½ tsp. J-Lube
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 gal. warm water
2 Tbsp. Glycerin
1 C. Dawn Dish Soap
2 wooden dowels
6-7 ft. 100% cotton yarn
A clean bucket
Make a giant bubble wand by tying one end of yarn tightly around the top of one dowel. The thicker the yarn, the better. Leaving 1 1/2 to 2 feet between the two dowels, tightly tie the yarn to the end of the second dowel. This will create a tight horizontal line of yarn when holding the dowels. Attach the remaining end of yarn near the original knot to make a loose, draping loop at the bottom.
In a large, clean bucket, combine ½ teaspoon J-lube and 2 tablespoons baking powder. Whisk in 1 gallon of warm water. Mix well.
Add 2 tablespoons glycerin and 1 cup Dawn. Mix completely.
Dip your yarn bubble wand in the solution. When you pull it out, hold the sticks high and as far apart as possible and walk backward.
11. Use Dawn Dish Soap to remove dirt and dust from your earbuds.
12. Clean paint brushes with Dawn.
Dawn soap is an artist’s best-kept secret. Use it on paintbrushes covered in oil-based paint to clean them completely. Put the soap in the palm of your hand and swirl the brush around rinsing it periodically. Repeat until the water runs clear through the brush.
13. Remove oil stains from concrete with Dawn.
14. Make your own all-natural weed killer with vinegar, salt and Dawn.
For a very potent but all-natural solution, combine pure white vinegar, salt and liquid dish soap. Funnel the mixture into a spray bottle. For best results treat weeds with the mixture at the sunniest time of day.
1 gal. pure white vinegar
1 C. salt
1 Tbsp. liquid dish soap
10-15 drops orange essential oil (optional)
If you only have time to spray your weeds on a cloudy day, add 10 to 15 drops of orange essential oil. The orange and vinegar combined will give the solution an added punch. Think of it as the weed-killing boost you’d normally get from the sunlight.
15. Remove grime from outdoor furniture with Dawn.
16. Use Dawn Dish Soap and warm water to gently clean platinum, silver, white gold and gold jewelry.
The easiest way to clean most types of metal jewelry is with a few drops of Dawn Dish Soap and warm water. Soak your jewelry for 20 to 40 minutes, and use a gentle toothbrush to scrub it clean. Rinse and dry.
17. Clean carpet stains with Dawn Dish Soap, white vinegar and water.
Pour 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 1 tablespoon of Dawn dish soap, in a spray bottle. Fill the bottle the remainder of the way with water. Spray carpet liberally and let soak for 5 to 10 minutes. Blot with a clean, dry towel until stain is removed.
18. Use Dawn Dish Soap and warm water to help remove grease from kitchen cabinets.
19. Clean a greasy range hood filter with Dawn.
Its entire job is to collect grease, so it’s no wonder it gets disgusting. Twice a year you should remove it and soak it in boiling, soapy water with baking soda. Let it soak for about 30 minutes, then scrub with a dish brush.
Rinse, let dry then reattach.
20. Use Dawn Dish Soap to find small air leaks in a tire.
Find a leak by adding a squirt of Dawn and water to a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on the tire. Bubbles will form where you have a leak.
21. Clean the inside of a reusable straw with a pipe cleaner and Dawn Dish Soap.
Pour Dawn Dish Soap directly onto a pipe cleaner and push it through a grimy straw. Rinse thoroughly. If your straw is wide, use two pipe cleaners twisted together.
22. Trap fruit flies and gnats with red wine vinegar and Dawn.
Combine 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar with 1/2 teaspoon of Dawn dishwashing liquid in a small glass. Stir gently to prevent bubbles. Cover with plastic wrap. With a skewer, poke a few holes in it. The flies get in, but can’t get out.
23. Combine Dawn Dish Soap, warm water and baking soda in a soap-dispensing sponge to clean your bathtub.
Fill your sponge with dish soap, warm water and baking soda. Make sure to add a few drops of your favorite essential oil (peppermint is the best!).
Scour your wet bathtub and fill your bathroom with the scent of essential oils at the same time.
24. Eliminate mattress stains with Dawn Dish Soap, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.
Using the hose attachment, vacuum your mattress to get rid of any loose debris. Then mix together 8 oz of hydrogen peroxide, 3 tablespoons baking soda and a drop of dish soap in a spray bottle (you’ll need to use this immediately!).
Spray your mattress completely, then let sit. Once it’s completely dry, vacuum again.
Periodically sprinkle with baking soda, then vacuum to keep your mattress smelling fresh.
Learn more money-saving tips and get Dawn Dish Soap coupons and deals:
- Dawn Coupons & Deals
- WD-40 Hacks You’ve Never Heard Before
- Incredible Things You Didn’t Know Cooking Spray Could Do