Listen, we all want to watch the new Disney Plus Star Wars and Marvel TV shows and rewatch all of our favorite Disney movies, and the best way to binge-watch them all is with a Disney Plus account. But you might have a hard time justifying another streaming subscription.
Luckily, we have the skinny on the best Disney Plus deals, what’s up with the Disney Plus free trial, and information on how many people can watch Disney Plus at once.
1. Get two months free of Disney Plus when you pay for a full year instead of monthly.
Disney Plus costs $7.99 per month, or you can pay $79.99 once a year. Think about it — if you pay the annual fee, it’s the equivalent of 10 monthly payments. You get two months free! Or if you’re wondering about dollars and cents, the annual plan saves you $15.89, or 16.5%, when compared to the monthly plan.
TIP: You can also send a Disney Plus gift to first-time subscribers by paying the yearly fee ($79.99) and giving the recipient’s email address.
2. Get 75% off your first month during Disney Plus Black Friday deals.
Official Disney Plus deals are rare, except in November during the annual Disney Plus Day, Nov. 12, and Black Friday weekend. Here’s what we’ve seen:
- Disney Plus Black Friday Deal 2021: $1.99 for the first month of Disney Plus (75.1% off)
- Disney Plus Day Deal 2021: $1.99 for the first month of Disney Plus (75.1% off)
- Disney Plus Black Friday Deal 2020: $93.84 for the Disney Bundle when you buy a year in advance (44.1% discount for the year)
TIP: Other past offers have included six months free with an Amazon Unlimited Music subscription, as well as a special three-months-free deal for Fortnite players.
3. Get another 5% off your Disney Plus account with discounted Disney Plus gift cards.
One of the many benefits of having a Target REDCard is having a 5% discount on gift cards, and you can purchase a Disney Plus gift card at Target using your Target REDCard to get a 5% discount on your Disney Plus purchase.
That means if you buy a Disney Plus gift card with Target REDCard to pay for a whole year of service at a time, you’ll end up saving nearly 21% off the monthly price.
TIP: Make sure you’re getting a Disney Plus gift card, not a regular Disney gift card; you can’t pay for your Disney Plus account with Disney gift cards.
4. Save 36% when you get the Disney Plus bundle — which includes Hulu and ESPN Plus.
Disney Plus ($7.99/month), Hulu ($6.99/month), and ESPN Plus ($6.99/month) have come together to create the Disney Plus bundle for only $13.99/month (or $18.99/month with the Hulu no-ads subscription). If you were to buy them separately, you’d be paying $21.97/month — $7.98 extra.
TIP: You can get the Disney Plus bundle for free if you have the Verizon Unlimited plan. You will need to claim your Disney Plus account before May 31, 2022.
5. A Disney Plus free trial doesn’t exist anymore.
When Disney Plus first launched, they offered a free 30-day trial for first-time subscribers — that is, until June 2020. The Disney Plus free trial doesn’t exist anymore, so you’ll have to pay for a month of service to get a Disney Plus subscription.
6. A cheaper, ad-supported Disney Plus subscription is coming in late 2022.
Disney says that if $7.99 is too much for you, they’ve got your back; a version of Disney Plus with commercials will roll out in late 2022 in the U.S., in 2023 internationally. No info yet on how much that cheaper subscription will be, but you can count on it being one of the cheapest monthly streaming costs out there.
7. Disney Plus Premier Access won’t be returning anytime soon.
In 2020 and 2021, while movie theaters were closed due to Covid-19, Disney Plus released a few titles via Disney Plus Premier Access, which gave Disney Plus subscribers access to brand-new movies for an additional fee.
For movies like Soul, Mulan, and Black Widow, subscribers would pay an extra $29.99 per movie for unlimited viewing. With theaters reopened, there are currently no plans to bring Disney Plus Premier Access back for future Disney and Marvel movies.
You used to be able to get points for the Disney Movie Insiders, Disney’s best-kept secret to getting freebies, but there is currently no news on if they are going to give points for a base Disney Plus subscription.
8. Up to 4 screens can log in to one Disney Plus account at a time.
How many people can watch Disney Plus at once? Even though your Disney Plus account lets you create up to 7 profiles per subscription, they have a limit of 4 screens watching simultaneously.
You can watch Disney Plus on nearly every video streaming device: Smartphones, Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Samsung TV, LG TV, Playstation, & Xbox.
9. Conserve phone data by adjusting the stream quality in the Disney Plus app.
Top-quality streams aren’t always the way to go, especially if you are limited on your data plan. Luckily, Disney Plus allows you to adjust the data usage to wi-fi only in the app setting so you won’t have to worry.
Of course, if you want to stream content outside a wi-fi connection, you are able to do that with an “Automatic” setting that will download 2GB per hour or the “Save Data” setting that will download 0.6 GB per hour. (You don’t need 4K on a tiny phone screen, anyway.)
10. Use Disney Plus Group Watch to watch shows with friends and family from far away.
Disney Plus Group Watch is a feature that comes with every Disney Plus account that you can use to watch movies and shows with people far away. All you have to do is pick the show or movie you want to watch and then find the three-headed Group Watch icon near the Play button.
It’ll give you a personalized link that you can send to friends, so you and up to 6 other people can all watch together.
TIP: If you want to watch with more than 6 people, use Teleparty (formally Netflix Party), a free extension for your web browser. Everyone will need a Disney Plus account, but it can host a lot more people.
11. Download any Disney Plus show for offline viewing.
Everything on Disney Plus is available for offline viewing to subscribers via the Disney Plus app. You can download as many shows or movies as your device can handle. Make sure to log in to your Disney Plus app once a month, or else the shows will be deleted from your app.
All you have to do is select the movie or show you want to watch and tap the download icon (which looks like a downward arrow) at the top right of the screen. The show will show up on your “Downloads” tab in the bottom right menu.
TIP: You can also restrict the amount of data you use on your phone by going to your profile and setting “Download Over Wifi Only” in your “Account Settings.”
12. Disney Plus is the only place where you can watch the new Disney Plus Marvel shows.
Disney Plus is home to all of the new Disney Plus Marvel shows and Star Wars shows like WandaVision, Moon Knight, and The Book of Boba Fett. Plus, they are constantly coming out with new content for users to enjoy. You can’t watch any of these shows anywhere else.
Plus, if you wanted to watch the hit Broadway show Hamilton, but don’t want to spend over $100 for a ticket, you can watch an original cast recording of the musical on Disney Plus.
13. Watch IMAX Enhanced movies on Disney Plus.
Disney Plus is one of the few streaming services that offers IMAX Enhanced movies, which allows you to see 26% more of the original image. All you have to do is click on the “Versions” tab, and it’ll give you the option to watch the IMAX Enhanced version.
Not all movies are offering this feature, so be sure to check it out when you can.
14. Watch deleted scenes and other bonus features through the ‘Extras’ tab.
Did you know that Disney has also released all their exclusive DVD content on Disney Plus? All you have to do is click on the title and check out the “Extras” tab on certain titles, and it’ll give you exclusive access to deleted scenes and bonus features that used to only be available via DVD.
If you’re someone who likes watching behind the scenes, deleted scenes, and how shows and movies were made, then Disney Plus offers hours of content for you to binge.
15. Restrict kids’ content only with the Disney Plus parental controls.
If you want to restrict content for your kiddos, Disney Plus gives you the option to restrict content using the “Kids-Proof Exit,” which is available on all kids’ Disney Plus profiles. The option can be found when you look under their account settings, and you’ll have to enter your password to restrict or open content again.
With this feature, you can also restrict content based on age rating from 6+, 9+, 12+, 14+, 16+, or 18+.
16. The Disney Plus movie list doesn’t include EVERY Disney movie and TV show.
Unfortunately, Disney Plus doesn’t have every Disney movie or TV show available to subscribers. Notable exclusions are Song of the South, the new Spider-Man movies, Aladdin the cartoon show, the House of Mouse, and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.
Plus, there is regional content that you can’t get through Disney Plus in the US yet:
- Bunk’d (on Netflix; available in multiple countries outside the US)
- Oz the Great and Powerful (available in multiple countries outside the US)
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (on Hulu; available in multiple countries outside the US)
- Stitch! The Anime (Japan only)
- Fireball – 2008 (Japan only)
- Sofia the First (on Netflix; available in multiple countries outside the US)
17. You can cancel Disney Plus anytime with no penalty.
If you want to cancel your Disney Plus account, here’s what you do:
- Head to “Account Settings” on the top right corner of your screen.
- Select “Billing Details.”
- Click “Cancel Subscription.”
- Answer a few questions about why you want to cancel.
You’ll still have access to your Disney Plus account until the end of your billing cycle, but after that, it will be deactivated. Unfortunately, if you had the free trial previously, it would activate if you decide to renew your subscription.