We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
Have you bought a Bud Light Lime-A-Rita or any of the other Rita flavors? You might have cash coming your way from the Lime-A-Rita settlement.
Bud Light’s Rita drinks are in a little bit of trouble for not being, well, Ritas. They don’t have tequila — the main ingredient in margaritas. Consumers alleged marketing the drinks as “Ritas” is misleading because it doesn’t contain any spirits, just beer.
Anheuser-Busch, the brewer of Budweiser, Stella Artois, Beck’s, and Michelob, settled a class action lawsuit for an undisclosed amount. Even though we don’t know the full settlement amount, we know how much money you can get and how to get it.
Here’s how to get money from the Rita class action settlement:
Why was there a Lime-a-Rita settlement?
Consumers sued Anheuser-Busch, accusing them of misleading buyers by marketing their Lime-A-Ritas (and related drinks, like the Straw-Ber-Rita) as having spirits, wine, or other hard alcohol. Y’know, like margaritas.
In reality, they alleged Rita drinks are just flavored beer and don’t contain any other types of alcohol.
They said that none of the packaging alerts customers that Ritas are essentially just flavored beers made to taste like margaritas.
How much was the Rita settlement for?
The courts and Anheuser-Busch have kept the final settlement number under wraps. As a result of the settlement, Anheuser-Busch also agreed to make it more apparent what’s in their Rita drinks. They’ll change the labeling on their Rita products by writing “malt beverage” on the packaging and will say on their website that the drinks do not contain distilled spirits. These changes will happen by Dec. 2, 2022.
How do I know if I qualify for the Rita settlement?
If you bought Lime-A-Rita, or any of the Rita flavors from Jan. 1, 2019, through July 19, 2022, you are eligible to make a claim in the Lime-A-Rita settlement.
Some products eligible are Lime-A-Rita, Straw-Ber-Rita, Mang-O-Rita, Water-Melon-Rita, Grape-A-Rita, and more.
There are 112 Rita products on the settlement list, so check here to see if you have any of the qualifying drinks.
How much will I get paid?
The amount of money you’ll get depends on the product and the size. The amount will also be less if you don’t have proof of purchase. Here’s the payment breakdown:
- 8-ounce cans: You can get $0.30 for 4-packs or $0.60 for 24-packs
- 12-ounce bottles or cans: You can get $0.15 for 4-packs, $0.25 for 6-packs, $0.45 12-packs, and $0.85 for 24-packs
- 16-ounce cans: You’ll get $0.20 for 4-packs or $0.30 for each 6-pack
- Individual 22-ounce bottle: You can receive $0.10 each
- 25-ounce cans: You can get $0.10 for a single can or $0.15 for a 2-pack
- Any additional unlisted packages will get payments of $0.50
You can get up to $21.25 per household with proof of purchase. If you don’t have proof of purchase, you’ll get up to $9.75.
How do I claim money from the Bud Light Lime-A-Rita settlement?
If you think you qualify for the settlement, head to the website and make a claim. The deadline to submit the form is Dec. 16, 2022.
- Go to the settlement website and enter your Class Member ID if you have one. (Don’t worry, you can still make a claim without one.)
- Fill out your name, address, email, and other contact information.
- If you don’t have proof of purchase, choose Option A, and if you do have proof of purchase, select Option B.
- If you choose Option A, choose the product’s name and package size, and enter the quantity. You can do this for multiple products.
- If you choose Option B, choose the product’s name and package size, and enter the quantity. You can do this for multiple products. (Option B claimants must upload receipts, pictures of products, or whatever else you have that proves the purchase.)
- Choose Venmo, Mastercard, PayPal, Zelle, paper check, or Direct Deposit as your payment method.
- Review your info and submit.
How will I get paid by Anheuser-Busch — and when?
The final settlement approval is on Dec. 2, 2022. Most settlements are approved at the final hearing, and payments usually go out within 90 days after the final settlement approval. You can expect to get your money by February 2023.
You can choose to get paid by Venmo, prepaid Mastercard, PayPal, Zelle, paper check, or Direct Deposit.