We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
If you’re a regular at McDonald’s and/or Burger King, joining the McDonald’s Rewards and Burger King Royal Perks programs will help you get tons of freebies, McDonald’s and Burger King coupons, and updates on all their latest promotions.
Here’s what you need to know to get all the discounts:
The MyMcDonald’s Rewards program gives you loyalty points for your purchases.
As soon as you sign up for the MyMcDonald’s rewards program by downloading the McDonald’s app, you’ll get a McDonald’s coupon for a free large fry (reg. $3.89).
For every $1 you spend using the app, you’ll earn 100 points. Once you reach 1,500 points, you’ll be able to redeem them for free McDonald’s menu items.
- Do McDonald’s rewards points expire? Yes, your points will expire 6 months after you earn them.
- How many McDonald’s rewards can I use at once? You can only redeem one reward per transaction.
What can you get with your McDonald’s Rewards account?
There are currently four tiers to redeem your points:
At 1,500 points ($15 spent), you can redeem them for . . .
- Hash Browns (reg. $2.09)
- Vanilla Cone (reg. $1.59)
- McChicken (reg. $2.29)
- Cheeseburger (reg. $1.89)
At 3,000 points ($30 spent), you can redeem them for . . .
- Medium Fries (reg. $3.39)
- Sausage Burrito (reg. $1.99)
- 6 pc. McNugget (reg. $2.50)
- Large Iced Coffee (reg. $2.79)
At 4,500 points ($45 spent), you can redeem them for. . .
- Large Fries (reg. $3.89)
- Large Frappe (reg. $3.89)
- Filet-O-Fish (reg. $4.39)
- Sausage McMuffin with Egg (reg. $2.50)
At 6,000 points ($60 spent), you can redeem them for. . .
- Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit (reg. $4.49)
- Big Mac (reg. $4.69)
- Quarter Pounder with Cheese (reg. $4.79)
- Happy Meal (reg. $4.09-$4.79)
Redeem McDonald’s Rewards points 1,500 at a time to get the best value.
When you spend $15 at McDonald’s, you’ll get 1,500 points; at that amount, you get the best value for your spend (up to 15.3%):
- $15 spent will get you a $2.29 menu item (15.3% back)
- $30 spent will get you a $3.39 menu item (11.3% back)
- $45 spent will get you a $4.39 menu item (9.75% back)
- $60 spent will get you a $4.79 menu item (7.98% back)
We have plenty more insider secrets you need to know to save at McDonald’s.
The Burger King Royal Perks loyalty program rewards your purchases with ‘Crowns’.
The Burger King Royal Perks program rewards you with “Crowns” once you download the Burger King app.
For every $1 spent, you’ll earn 10 Crowns, and once you reach 250 Crowns ($25 spent), you’ll be able to start earning your freebies.
Burger King Royalty Perks also gives members a free upsize to their drink, fries, or hash browns once a day, every day. And they’ve also run promotions where you can get free fries with every purchase.
What can you get with your Burger King Royal Perks?
There are currently six tiers to redeem your points:
250 crowns ($25 spent)
- Cheeseburger (reg. $1.69)
- 4 pc. Nuggets (reg. $1.29)
- Value Fries (reg. $1.79)
- Soft Serve Cone (reg. $1.29)
400 crowns ($40 spent)
- Double Cheeseburger (reg. $2.39)
- 8 pc. Nuggets (reg. $1.99)
- Medium Coffee (reg. $2.19)
- Whopper Jr. (reg. $2.69)
- Hershey’s Sundae Pie (reg. $2.29)
550 crowns ($55 spent)
- Double Bacon Cheeseburger (reg. $2.89)
- Egg & Cheese Croissan’wich (reg. $2.69)
- Large Iced Vanilla Coffee (reg. $2.69)
- Whopper Jr. with Cheese (reg. $2.79)
750 crowns ($75 spent)
- Whopper (reg. $5.49)
- Sausage Egg & Cheese Croissan’wich (reg. $2.69)
- 9 pc. Chicken Fries (reg. $3.39)
- 8 pc. Mozzarella Sticks (reg. $2.79)
- Oreo Cookie Shake (reg. $3.89)
1,000 crowns ($100 spent)
- Big Fish (reg. $5.29)
- Egg-Normous Burrito (reg. $5.74)
- Fully Loaded Croissan’wich (reg. $4.29)
- Impossible Whopper (reg. $6.49)
- Original Chicken Sandwich (reg. $5.29)
1,400 crowns ($140 spent)
- Bacon King (reg. $7.99)
- Double Whopper (reg. $6.89)
Redeem your Burger King crowns 750 at a time to get the best value.
When you spend $75 at Burger King, you’ll get 750 crowns, which gets you the best return for your spend — 7.32% (which isn’t quite as high as McDonald’s):
- $25 spent will get you a $1.79 menu item (7.16% back)
- $40 spent will get you a $2.69 menu item (6.72% back)
- $55 spent will get you a $2.89 menu item (5.25% back)
- $75 spent will get you a $5.49 menu item (7.32% back)
- $100 spent will get you a $6.49 menu item (6.49% back)
- $140 spent will get you a $7.99 menu item (5.7% back)
For more ways to save at Burger King, we have all the tips that can get you Burger King coupons and free Whoppers.
Which loyalty program is worth joining?
You can’t go wrong signing up for both of these free programs, but if you’re wondering about the best bang for your buck, here are a few things to consider:
- Which loyalty program will earn you the most money back? McDonald’s will allow you to maximize the amount spent to reward earned. McDonald’s will get you up to 15.3% of your spend back in freebies, while Burger King will get you 7.32% maximum.
- Which loyalty program has more options? Burger King has more options for freebies overall. The Burger King Royal Perks will get you several tiers of desserts as well as more breakfast options, so if you’re going for breakfast, this might be worth it for you.
- Which loyalty program offers more coupons? While both apps give you many coupons every day, McDonald’s coupons offer more freebies and higher discounts than Royal Perks.