We're reader-supported and only partner with brands we trust. When you buy through links on our site we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn More. Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date and time indicated and are subject to change.
When I say “cheap electronics,” I don’t mean garbage electronics. No way. I’m talking about getting top brands like Apple for much cheaper than everyone else is paying.
The best way to do that is by shopping during Black Friday because retailers run great sales and promotions to entice you to shop ’til you drop.
If you’re in the market to upgrade an iPhone, get a new laptop, or a new TV, here are a few retailers you might keep an eye on as fall approaches.
Don’t forget to download the KCL app for more tips for getting cheap electronics.
1. Cheap electronics hack: Buy the iPhone in September when new generations are released.
You can get older iPhones for sale at stores like Walmart, Costco, Target, and Best Buy when Apple’s latest generation hits the shelves.
Apple will likely announce the new iPhone 14 in mid-September 2022. This means stores will be trying to get rid of the old iPhone 12s and 13s.
Look for the best deals in November, during Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Learn even more ways to save on Apple products.
2. Combine your Target RedCard with gift card promotions on Apple.
In 2021, Target offered a gift card promotion for a free $15 Target gift card when you bought $100 in Apple gift cards. When you combined this deal with your 5% Target RedCard savings, you could score 19% savings on Apple gift cards — that’s a lot! It’s like paying $80.75 to get $100 at Apple.
Learn how to shop Target Black Friday like a boss.
TIP: You can only spend $1,000 in one transaction with your RedCard. So when you’re going for that 5% discount on an iPhone and an iPad, separate it into two transactions.
3. Buy Apple Watches and Pencils during Target Black Friday.
Based on what I saw at Target in 2021, I predict you can plan to score cheap electronics like these in 2022:
- Apple Watch Series 3: $161.49, (regularly $199.99)
- Apple Pencil 2nd Generation: $94.99, (regularly $129.99)
See more Target Black Friday deals.
4. Watch for Amazon Apple gift card deals, too.
I’m not done talking about Apple because I know you’re looking for every way to create cheap electronics deals resulting in Apple products! Behold another Amazon gift card deal to watch out for this Black Friday. In 2021, you could get $15 in Amazon credits when you purchased a $100 gift card. It was like paying $85 for $100 to use toward Apple purchases.
Get the 411 on Amazon Black Friday.
5. Look for cheap electronics deals during Amazon Black Friday.
Whether it’s Prime Day in the summer or Black Friday in the fall, Amazon will be a safe place to buy their own devices: Fire, Echo, etc. They offer the best deals on these. Here’s a bit of what we saw for cheap electronics in 2021:
- Apple AirPods Pro With MagSafe Charging Case: $179 (regularly $249)
- Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Bluetooth Headphones: $179 (regularly $349)
- Fire HD 10 Tablet 10.1″ 32 GB: $74.99 (regularly $149.99)
6. Shop Walmart Black Friday for Chromebooks and Fitbits.
Walmart offered some sweet deals on Chromebooks and Fitbits during Black Friday in 2021. Fingers crossed they’ll repeat it for 2022. Here’s what we saw:
- Samsung Chromebook 4 11.6″: $87 (regularly $199.99)
- Fitbit Charge 4: $69 (regularly $129)
Read more about how to shop Walmart Black Friday and score the best deals.
8. Talk about cheap electronics — a $15 Roku device anyone? Walmart had it in 2021.
This was a special buy during Walmart’s Deal Days promotion, and no other retailer offered Roku for this low during Black Friday 2021. The Roku LE was only $15 when they typically retail for closer to $25. You had to be quick to get this deal, as stock was limited.
9. Check out Best Buy Black Friday for a MacBook Air.
In 2021, Best Buy offered a noteworthy deal on a MacBook Air. Considering you can’t get these at Target, any savings you can find is worth your attention. Another cool thing we saw at Best Buy in 2021 was a free gift card with an Oculus VR headset. Check it out:
- Free $50 Best Buy Gift Card with Oculus Quest 2 Headset
- Beats Studio Earbuds: $99.99 (regularly $149.99)
- 13-inch Apple MacBook Air: $849.99 (regularly $999.99)
Here’s more about shopping Black Friday at Best Buy.
10. All things being equal, buy cheap electronics at Kohl’s so you can get Kohl’s Cash.
Over the past few years, Kohl’s has consistently offered $15 in Kohl’s Cash for every $50 you spend. Plus, you can earn $5 in Kohl’s Rewards for every $100 spent. This adds up to a lot of free money to use while shopping at Kohl’s just before Christmas.
That said, Kohl’s doesn’t always offer the same low prices as other retailers, and they don’t carry much in the way of Apple products, but when you see something at a comparable price, buy it at Kohl’s.
How to maximize your Kohl’s Black Friday shopping.
11. You gotta be fast when it comes to Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch consoles.
Black Friday is notoriously the best time of year to buy a new gaming console, but there’s a hazard to buying this time of year too. Stock runs low and sells out faster than you can drive a Mario Kart. For that reason, you have to balance the price you’re willing to pay with the reality that if you don’t act fast, you’ll miss out.
Over the years, the best deals I’ve seen are on bundles that include a console, a few controllers, a game pass, or other comparable accessories. It’s typical for different retailers to sell different bundles, making them difficult to compare apples to apples. Even so, stock runs out so fast that you don’t have a lot of time to deliberate. Here’s what I saw in 2021:
- Target: XBox Series S Console + 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, $284.99
- Walmart: Xbox Series S Console, $299
- Amazon: Xbox Series S Console, $299
- Sam’s Club: Xbox Series S Bundle With Rig 500 Pro EX Wired Headset and PDP Media Remote, $379.98
- Walmart: PlayStation 5, Digital Edition Video Game Consoles, $399
- Amazon PlayStation Plus 12-Month Membership, $39.99 (regularly $59.99)
- Target: Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Neon Blue/Red + Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, $284.99
- Amazon: Nintendo Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Accessories Bundle, $299.99
- Walmart: Nintendo Switch with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, $299
- Costco: Nintendo Switch Bundle, $349.99
12. Stock up on Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo games when they reach 75% off.
During Cyber Monday at Target, expect to see some great discounts on video games. When you include your 5% RedCard discount, savings can reach up to 75%. Like this:
- Select Video Games for Playstation: $9.49 (regularly $13.99+)
- Select Video Games for Xbox: $9.49 (regularly $12.99+)
- Select Video Games for Nintendo Switch: $3.80 (regularly $5+)
Amazon also offered 75% off video games like Just Dance 2022, Marvel games, and NBA 2K.
13. The best TV deals during Black Friday 2021 were at Amazon, but it’s anyone’s game.
Amazon came in hot in 2021 with up to 40% savings on TVs. This beat the other retailers, but in 2020, Walmart was the place to get a TV. So watch Amazon, but even better, bookmark TV deals so you’re the first to know when our team sees the best prices.
- Insignia 24-Inch 720p Smart Fire TV: $99.99 (regularly $169.99) 41% savings
- Insignia 24-Inch 1080p Smart Fire TV: $129.99 (regularly $189.99) 32% savings
- Onn. 58″ 4K UHD LED Roku Smart TV: $328 (regularly $478) 31% savings
- Vizio V-Series 65″ Class 4K HDR Smart TV: $499.99 (regularly $629.99) 28% savings