You may have been around when CVS first came out with their app, but now the appeal of the CVS Pharmacy App’s benefits — ExtraBucks, time savings, special in-app offers, prescription management, couponing, and more — are too hard to resist.
The CVS app can get kind of confusing, especially since they change the layout at least once a year. That’s why I decided to learn all about the CVS app to help out.
1. Create a CVS account to gain access to more savings and coupons.
Your CVS account, linked to your CVS app gives you easy access to your ExtraBucks Rewards, (ExtraBucks are basically money you earn in every transaction that you can put towards a future transaction), allows you to view and clip CVS digital coupons, and gets you exclusive in-app offers.
Note that a CVS account is not the same as an ExtraCare rewards account — which I will tell you all about next.
To create a CVS account, you can either do it manually or by snapping a quick picture of your ID while in the CVS app — which automatically inputs the relevant information for you. Plus, once you set up your CVS account and link your email, you’ll earn $3 in ExtraBucks.
2. Keep everything in one place — link your CVS ExtraCare card.
CVS offers a rewards loyalty program called ExtraCare — which earns you everything from more coupons to ExtraBucks at CVS.
If you sign up for an ExtraCare card and connect it to your CVS app, you’ll get 2% back in ExtraBucks on every transaction. ExtraCare is also the only way to earn rewards for your prescription orders, so if you’re a CVS Pharmacy regular, ExtraCard is the easiest way to save.
3. Manage your CVS Rewards in the app and earn ExtraBucks.
ExtraBucks accrue over multiple shopping trips within the earning period and are tracked best through your CVS app if you’ve linked your ExtraCare card. When you shop via the app or enter your phone number at checkout, you’ll accrue ExtraBucks if you purchase qualifying items.
4. Load your coupons onto your CVS ExtraCare card in the CVS app for easy checkout.
With all the CVS coupons, rebates, and rewards, couponing at CVS may seem tricky. But it’s not — at least not when you read our guide, THIS Is How to Coupon at CVS, which will show you how to get a ton of cheap and even free products.
With an ExtraCare card, you’re able to send available deals and coupons to your card from within the CVS app, CVS.com, digital receipts, and CVS emails.
Once you get to checkout at a CVS store, show the cashier your barcode in the CVS app, and all of your coupons will deduct from your order, plus any ExtraBucks accrued in that trip will be reflected in your app account within 24 hours.
TIP: The CVS ExtraCare card is also your ticket to qualifying for in-store promotions, like buy any two Maybelline products and earn $5 in ExtraBucks.
Related: THIS Is How to Coupon at CVS
5. Take advantage of app-specific CVS digital coupons and manufacturer coupons.
At any given time you can find CVS coupons for 100’s of items in the CVS app, and you can absolutely use them on your in-app order! And lucky for us, CVS accepts manufacturer coupons, in-app coupons, email coupons, and CVS Coupon Center (the red kiosk in stores) coupons in the app.
Here are the types of coupons you can expect to see in the app:
- Manufacturer Coupons — CVS accepts manufacturer coupons from websites like TheKrazyCouponLady.com and manufacturer coupons you load to your ExtraCare account in the CVS app. They say “MFR” on the coupon or in the fine print. Just like at any store, you can only use one manufacturer coupon per item purchased
- CVS Store Coupons — You can find these in your app, on the website, at the bottom of your receipt, via email, or at the CVS Coupon Center. They are usually threshold spending coupons, like $3 off $30 or money back in ExtraBucks (store coupons you can use like cash).
Note that printed coupons on in-store receipts or from the ExtraCare Coupon Center can’t be redeemed on the app — unless the coupon says it’s valid on online app purchases.
TIP: Most of the store coupons drop on Sundays, and you typically have all week plus the following Sunday to use them.
6. Get personalized coupons and save on your favorite CVS products.
What’s nice about CVS is they offer personalized coupons just for using your ExtraCare account when you shop. The CVS app tracks your purchases so you’ll get rewarded with coupons you’re most likely to use on your favorite items.
To view your personalized coupons in the app, go to the “Deals and Rewards” section. These coupons are personalized, so the offers will vary by customer.
Now, if you want to get more coupons, you need to consistently shop at CVS. I’m not saying you have to spend a lot out of pocket — you can shop less, more frequently. To do this make sure you take advantage of weekly deals, do the freebies, and try the moneymaking deals.
TIP: Don’t send personalized coupons to your ExtraCare card until you plan to use them — because once you do, it changes the expiration date to one week from the date you added them.
7. Manage your prescriptions through the CVS app.
Before you can access your prescriptions in the app, you must add “Rx Management” to your account. This will allow you to access all of the tabs in the Pharmacy section of the app, like your Prescription Schedule, Scan to Refill, View Financial Summary, Multi-dose Packs, Transfer a Prescription, and more.
On top of all the app’s helpful prescription tools, you’ll also earn one ExtraBuck for every two prescriptions you purchase — pickup or delivery.
8. Order your prescription in the app and get it via CVS delivery.
To use CVS Pharmacy prescription delivery, sign up for their text alerts through your CVS account so you can get access to delivery options.
To order your prescription in the CVS app for delivery or pickup:
- In the app, click “Manage Prescription”
- Fill your prescription information
- Click “Save” — that way you don’t have to add your information all over again next time
- Then select Pickup or Delivery (free one- to two-day or same-day) via Shipt
If you know you’ll always be wanting your prescription delivered, you can enroll in auto-delivery at checkout. That way they’ll have your scripts available for one- to two-day delivery — almost always.
9. Go to the CVS Photo Center in the app and print pictures effortlessly.
You can also print photos through the app from your camera roll or social media and pick them up at your local store’s camera center.
The CVS app Photo Center offers same-day pickup. You can choose regular prints in any size, magnets, mounted panels, cards, photo books, collages, acrylic panels, and photo cubes (how fun is that?)
How to order photos on the CVS app:
- Go to “Photos” on the app Home page
- Choose your design and/or print type
- Allow the CVS app access to your device or Facebook account
- Select your photos
- Edit and size your photos
- Click “Checkout”
Here’s how to shop through the CVS app:
Step 1: Download the CVS Pharmacy App.
Step 2: Select your preferred CVS store.
Once you download the app, you have the choice between creating a profile or not. You do not need to have an account to shop through the CVS app.
Step 3: Plan your shopping and use your CVS Weekly ad.
Before you add anything to your cart, be sure to check out the “Weekly Ad” section at the bottom right of the Home page in the app. These ads are specific to the store you select — so you can switch around your location by clicking “Change Store” in red at the top of the page.
To take advantage of their Weekly ads, I plan out my shopping by picking one day each week (Sunday) to check the coupons. I also go back in the middle of the week to check for the sneak peek of the next Weekly ads — which they usually drop on Wednesday evenings in the app.
TIP: On top of these savings each week, you can also earn ExtraBucks on select brands advertised in your store’s Weekly ads. Make sure to keep your eyes peeled for those!
Step 4: Load CVS coupons to your card.
It’s important to know that you have to “Load-to-Card” all of your coupons before making your purchase. If you don’t, you won’t be able to use them.
To load coupons to your card, do this:
- In the app, click “Deals & Rewards.”
- Scroll through your “All” tab to look for available offers.
- Click the “Send to Card” icon on the coupons you want to redeem. This will load any coupons you’re interested in directly to your card.
- You’ll see right away in your “All” tab in the “Deals & Rewards” section if they have successfully been loaded or not.
TIP: Once you’ve sent a coupon to your card, you can’t un-send it.
Step 5. Add your ExtraBucks to your ExtraCare card.
In addition to sending coupons to your ExtraCare card from the CVS app or CVS.com, you can also send your ExtraBucks to your card.
To do this in the CVS app:
- Go to “Account” — located at the bottom of the CVS app Home page.
- Click “Digital Receipt Preferences.”
- Toggle on “Digital Receipts.”
Once you’ve done this, watch the pin pad for the option to send your ExtraBucks to your card instead of printing the next time you shop.
Step 6: Apply your remaining CVS rewards and coupons to your cart.
To apply e-coupons to your order, you will see a “Use Coupons/ExtraCare Rewards” at the bottom of your Shopping Cart. Before you check out, remember to click that button to add coupon codes and to redeem your ExtraCare rewards and coupons.
Step 7: Select CVS delivery or pickup for your order.
When it comes to CVS delivery, it’s free for orders of $35 or more; however, if you’re a CarePass member, you’ll get free delivery on orders that contain CarePass eligible items. You’ll know items are eligible because they are labeled as such in the app.
To see if your orders have shipped, check your Account, located at the bottom of the app.
Related: CVS Delivery & Online Shopping FAQ
Step 8: Scan your CVS app receipts with rebate apps to save even more.
With rebate apps, like Ibotta for example, you can manually add any offers you shopped for at CVS, then take pictures of your receipt from your app within seven days of the transaction.
Don’t Scroll Up! If you love CVS, you’ll like these links: